• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Muddled123

Frank Row (1)
Word out of Terrace is that time is already up for Thompson. Poor selections, unworkable game plans and this was evident against BBC. He’s lost the confidence of the players. Nepotism is derailing 2024, in a repeat of 2023. Not picking the NRL recruits or a Reds Academy player to even trial is puzzling, especially with the on field performances of those who are in.

Muddled123

Frank Row (1)
Any chance you can create a separate Terrace forum called piss and wind ? It’s very boring and irrelevant
Thankyou for your opinion. If you’re not keen on reading a post relating to any of the teams in the comp, may I respectfully suggest you don’t read this forum in the future.

Last edited:

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
First time poster.
Had a chance to watch a few teams during trials and whilst Nudgee are definitely favourites I wouldn’t agree that the margin is as vast as some would suggest.

I think their size could be an issue with more a mobile pack than one with size, I believe this is why State High were able to get them a few weeks back in the trials as Nudgee struggled to cope with the physical threats State High threw at them on the day. (Yes, I know it was a trial, but keep in mind that was State High’s first trial and they managed to beat a Nudgee team that had plenty of quality prior games against Christchurch Boys NZ, Barker College NSW, and St Edmunds College ACT. )

Kasprowicz and Armistead will be relied upon heavily for this during the season, as well as Princeton Ioane, if he can get himself right from injury.

In the backs Conway will be one to watch out wide. I think Bradley has also trialled well so far. But, the Nudgee midfield is an issue for mine. Especially against established midfields with a bit of size like BBC or TGS. In saying that, the power of Nudgee has always been their cohesion so what they normally lack in individual talent they make up for because they know how to play as a team, especially under pressure.

State High is a dark horse for mine. Getting the Kefu’s into the fold was a god send for the boys there. Mainly to add a bit of much needed structure to what they never lack at South Brisbane, natural talent.

They’ll have attacking threats everywhere but for mine the main guys they’ll rely on upfront are Cyrus Suniula who’ll add punch in the carry and in the physical exchanges. Impressive flanker Trent Picot and second rower Eli Langi will also be vital pieces to the State High pack.

The concern with State High will be how well their set piece operates, particularly at scrum time but if they can at least gain parity in this area they are a genuine threat.

Out wide State High are also spoiled for choice but I feel their chances hinge on their 9 and 10. At the moment Ngatai looks to have first shot at 9 and the very underrated Seamus Boakes will get the all important 10 jersey if trial form persists. Wherever young Tagicakibau plays (either on the wing or fullback) he will provide spark from the back.

Definitely excited for the upcoming season. Will put up more observations on the other schools later.

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
BBC
From the games I’ve managed to watch this year, the College boys look to be the best balanced team, in terms of size and experience. They have good players in the right positions and are ready (IMO) for a shot at the premiership.

Amongst a well balanced group of forwards I can’t go past number 8 Kiama Jione as a player to watch. Jione had somewhat of a breakout year at 16’s after initially getting named in the Country squad for the 16’s ERC competition last year. From this point he has cemented himself as a genuine future prospect with selection in the Queensland and Australian 16’s teams. Saw a few of his trials and his foot speed and physicality in defence and offence has only improved and as such he will be key for his team’s chances.

In the backs, I think BBC’s fortunes will have a lot to do with how well man mountain Frank Howarth is able to execute his role to get over the ad line in the midfield. If Howarth is able to do this for his College team mates to launch the quick front foot style of play BBC want to play they will be hard to beat in 2024.

My only worry for BBC is how they react when things don’t go to script. Respectively, in years gone by (except their most recent premiership year) they can probably be a little guilty of slipping up in games they should have or could have won. Very good front runners but can stumble when they have to chase a score. Nevertheless, BBC are among the legitimate contenders for mine alongside State High and Nudgee.

FTF

Stan Wickham (3)
Fair enough. More mentioning him for his trial form and my point on the inside back or midfield stocks being a little thin for Nudgee.
I don’t think they are that thin TBH. They have a few options but word is it will either be Welfare and Laine-Setu or Laine-Setu and Conway. Conway wants to play 15 but unless they move Johnson to the wing I can‘t see that happening.

Gheeza6711

Peter Burge (5)
TGS play TSS/Churchie this weekend. Almost full strength with only 2 out this week and a few boys only playing a half. Should be the best we see from TGS in trials tho.

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
The next few teams I’m going to mention are teams I would classify as potential contenders; teams who could get hot after a few wins and really make a tilt at the title.

In no particular order the first team in this group would be Southport or TSS.

If there was a team that personified “bully ball” it would be the boys from Southport. The boys from the Goldy have the size to batter other teams into submission this year.

The size factor is evident at the frontline with their monstrous Queensland front row including Blaze Moana, Jonah Rangiwai and led by loosehead prop Kingsley Uys.

If teams don’t aim up, up front, it’ll be a tough day at the office for any team that comes up against the Southport boys.

While Uys is definitely the leader of the Southport pack, another player that looks set to make his mark in firsts this year from the games I’ve seen is number 8 Agapetos Lote-Felo who is also versatile enough to play across the 6 and 7 positions if required.

Lote-Felo’s work off the ball around the paddock, ability to get over the ball and his link play will be crucial to win and secure the ball his team will need to impose themselves on their opposition.

In the backs, the key to Southport’s chances out wide for mine, lies with their 9, Tom Goldie, whose physical style suits the physical Southport style.
Aside from his quality passing game that has seen him as a mainstay in Queensland representative teams coming through the grades, Goldie also has a very educated boot out of hand, which makes him a key player in directing his forwards around the paddock but also unleashing his backs.

The only knock on Southport from what I’ve seen, is whether they have the collective fitness and cohesiveness to secure a title? In the trials I have seen, there were times they looked very clunky (I know it’s trials, just in comparison to the other teams at this period).

Will the Southport boys be able to respond to teams that don’t back down from the physical battle, that wont ease up the pressure right til the final whistle? If they can do this, the competition better watch out.

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
The next team in the potential candidates bracket would be Toowoomba Grammar.

I’ve only been able to catch snippets, but the first player to watch from the backs would be Rhymen Tusi. The makeshift centre has found a new home for himself in the centres after being moved from the back row and his explosive speed off the mark, physicality in the collision will make him an absolute menace if he can be provided one on one opportunities or he can be provided space.

For the forwards, I think young lock Rupeni Baravilala, with his size and athletic ability unbecoming of someone in his position will be called upon to do a job in tight with industrious and hardworking players like Ruben Kruger and Harrison Humphreys in the pack. If there is a word that sums up the Toowoomba team from the little footage I’ve seen it’s industrious.

The boys from the Darling Downs showed very strong trial form whilst in NZ, I believe walking away undefeated from their trip to the land of the Long White Cloud.
The only knock on the boys from Toowoomba is that they appear to be a young team. Could they be 12 months away from actually realising their potential?

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
Final team in the potential candidates category would be Ipswich Grammar. Player to watch in the backs it’s hard to go past flyhalf / fullback Tyson Walker. The playmaker has a funny way of being in the right position at the right time and his leadership will make him a vital piece in the Ipswich puzzle if they are going to compete for a title.

For the forwards, the Ipswich front row appear to have made significant in roads if trial form is anything to go by but the player to watch from the red and whites is lock Jack Calleja. Calleja plays the game right at the line with his abrasive in your face style, he’s solid in the air (particularly at set piece), and the 2023 U15’s ERC Player of the Tournament, will be relied upon as a leader despite his relatively early fray into first XV footy. Underestimate Ippy at your own peril.

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
The final group of teams are teams I would deem are either in their rebuilding phases or are not in contention for this year’s title.
I also just want to say respectively and for the record, I hope these teams prove me wrong, I’m just basing my views on what I’ve seen and heard.

First team is Churchie.

Losing someone like Ryan Schultz was always going to have an affect on the Churchie team. From what I’ve seen from the incoming coach so far, his rugby ethos and approach appears to be the polar opposite of the prior coach who occupied the helm.

It’s great to see the Churchie boys throwing the pill around and playing eyes up footy but IMO it will take time to re-program from the team’s previous DNA under the structured, set piece orientated Schultz style.

Players to look out for, in the forwards if the trial against BBC was anything to go by is hooker Harry Solofa, whose solid all around game and ability to play close and out in the wider channels will make him vitally important to the Vikings if they have any hope of a strong season. The high work rate and brutality of Sam Williams will also be important.

In the backs, almost everything will centre around talented fullback Trayvon Pritchard, whose speed and agility make him one of the most dangerous outside backs in the competition.

The issue for Churchie is their depth particularly coming up through the lower teams if their top line guys get injured, particularly in the front row and in the centres.
The moving on of guys like Willie-Jawai, Archie Smith and Fifita have depleted the once rich Churchie front row stocks, and the departure of centre Frankie Goldsbrough has left a massive hole for Churchie to replace.
Centre Max Blanch will be relied upon heavily to band the next batch of backs at Churchie coming through. Meanwhile, from all reports, it looks like young prop Sio Kite will shoulder the responsibility of trying to anchor the pack from up front.

Will be interesting to see how the Churchie boys fare this year, it certainly won’t be boring. For mine though, they are at least 12 months off from being a genuine title threat.

Last edited:

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
The final group of teams are teams I would deem are either in their rebuilding phases or are not in contention for this year’s title.
I also just want to say respectively and for the record, I hope these teams prove me wrong, I’m just basing my views on what I’ve seen and heard.

First team is Churchie.

Losing someone like Ryan Schultz was always going to have an affect on the Churchie team. From what I’ve seen from the incoming coach so far, his rugby ethos and approach appears to be the polar opposite of the prior coach who occupied the helm.

It’s great to see the Churchie boys throwing the pill around and playing eyes up footy but IMO it will take time to re-program from the team’s previous DNA under the structured, set piece orientated Schultz style.

Players to look out for, in the forwards if the trial against BBC was anything to go by is hooker Harry Solofa, whose solid all around game and ability to play close and out in the wider channels will make him vitally important to the Vikings if they have any hope of a strong season. The high work rate and brutality of Sam Williams will also be important.

In the backs, almost everything will centre around talented fullback Trayvon Pritchard, whose speed and agility make him one of the most dangerous outside backs in the competition.

The issue for Churchie is their depth particularly coming up through the lower teams if their top line guys get injured, particularly in the front row and in the centres.
The moving on of guys like Willie-Jawai, Archie Smith and Fifita have depleted the once rich Churchie front row stocks, and the departure of centre Frankie Goldsbrough has left a massive hole for Churchie to replace.
Centre Max Blanch will be relied upon heavily to band the next batch of backs at Churchie coming through. Meanwhile, from all reports, it looks like young prop Sio Kite will shoulder the responsibility of trying to anchor the pack from up front.

Will be interesting to see how the Churchie boys fare this year, it certainly won’t be boring. For mine though, they are at least 12 months off from being a genuine title threat.
Hey RazorRamon,

An interesting summation on Churchie and I’d have to agree with most of it except for a couple of minor points.

Firstly, Churchie’s new Head Coach (Brownhill) has moved from Sydney to take this opportunity and has been involved with the Waratahs Academy and U18’s Program the last 2 to 3 years so he is well credentialed. This will be a great challenge of his coaching prowess and skills as he’s had some great players to work with in the Waratahs Academy program, so I agree, this year is possibly a rebuilding year for Churchie but I believe they are capable of finishing in the top 4 if they can keep there No.1 starters injury free which will be the challenge, as mentioned in a previous post. However if they have injuries to key players, the back up cattle is thin this year judging on how the 2nds have been going.

I also agree that coaches Schultz and Brownhill have contrasting styles with Brownhill giving the players a lot more ‘freedom’ to express themselves with lots of unstructured and off the cuff, play what’s in front of them type game with a lot less tactical kicking.

I’m tipping Churchie to cause a couple of upsets of the more ‘fancied’ teams this year with a tough draw of 8 consecutive games as follows ….. round 1 (BGS - home), round 2 (GT - away), round 3 (NC - home), round 4 (TGS - away), round 5 (BBC - home), round 6 (BSHS -away), round 7 (IGS - home) and round 8 (TSS - away) with a bye in the last round.

BGS are an unknown quantity and could be a danger game first up but if Churchie can get some good momentum, win most, if not all of there home games and jag some good away scalps, you never know and I believe the competition will be closer than a lot of people think.

Last edited:

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey RazorRamon,

An interesting summation on Churchie and I’d have to agree with most of it except for a couple of minor points.

Firstly, Churchie’s new Head Coach (Brownhill) has moved from Sydney to take this opportunity and has been involved with the Waratahs Academy and U18’s Program the last 2 to 3 years so he is well credentialed. This will be a great challenge of his coaching prowess and skills as he’s had some great players to work with in the Waratahs Academy program, so I agree, this year is possibly a rebuilding year for Churchie but I believe they are capable of finishing in the top 4 if they can keep there No.1 starters injury free which will be the challenge, as mentioned in a previous post. However if they have injuries to key players, the back up cattle is thin this year judging on how the 2nds have been going.

I also agree that coaches Schultz and Brownhill have contrasting styles with Brownhill giving the players a lot more ‘freedom’ to express themselves with lots of unstructured and off the cuff, play what’s in front of them type game with a lot less tactical kicking.

I’m tipping Churchie to cause a couple of upsets of the more ‘fancied’ teams this year with a tough draw of 8 consecutive games as follows ….. round 1 (BGS - home), round 2 (GT - away), round 3 (NC - home), round 4 (TGS - away), round 5 (BBC - home), round 6 (BSHS -away), round 7 (IGS - home) and round 8 (TSS - away) with a bye in the last round.

BGS are an unknown quantity and could be a danger game first up but if Churchie can get some good momentum, win most, if not all of there home games and jag some good away scalps, you never know and I believe the competition will be closer than a lot of people think.
Thanks for the message, some great insights

I agree with your points about the new coach and Ive also heard about Brownhill’s credentials. I was’nt bagging him, (apologies if it came across like this) if anything his style is a more spectator friendly philosophy which I enjoyed when I caught the back end of their trial against Nudgee.

It was just a shock to see Churchie having a crack from so many different parts of the field, that you wouldn’t see or rarely see by a team under Schultz’s guidance, that we’ve become used to from a Churchie outfit in years gone past, simple but effective and playing in the right areas of the field.

In the trial I saw they definitely created a lot of opportunities during the game following this new off the cuff ethos but they also made a lot of errors which I guess is the trade off if you want to adopt this style of play.

No disrespect intended to Churchie and their supporters, like I said in my original post, I hope they prove me wrong.

Will definitely make for intriguing viewing.

Gheeza6711

Peter Burge (5)
TGS just beat TSS 12-10
TGS also beat Churchie 12-10
The team against TSS was nearly full strength and the team against Churchie was more of a development with 2nds players and a few 16A’s boys.