• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not the point

Magpie you raised it..not me

Given your above statement you would therefore agree with me

I'm sorry but your logic just doesn't compute

How could the CCC boys know each others play better then the GPS players (given they covered the whole state) be fair dinkum CTPE

Like CCC the GPS boys don't get to play together until U16s. I don't accept what you propose about the GPS boys playing against each other over "maybe 4 years" being greater than the opportunities city or country club players have playing against each other for up to 8 years before U16s rep football.

The GPS held one trial on Sunday 19 June (6 days before the State Champs), selected their team on Monday 20 June, had training sessions on Wed 22 and Thursday 23 June and played together for the first time on Saturday 25 June. The CCC held their selection trials on 16 and 17 May (5 weeks before the Schools Champs!),had a 3 day training camp on 3-5 June, had a trial game against AICES on 5 June, had another trial game against ISA on 19 June whilst all the while also conducting training sessions.

Be fair dinkum? Have a good look in the mirror Magpie.

D

Dingdong

Ok, must have been the 2010 team but my point still stands CCC - 3, GPS - 14 plus, CAS - 8 plus, CHS - 7 plus. It doesn't add up.

You're right.... it adds up to 32 ! Hows that... and I went to a state school !!!

R

Rugby37

Are you kidding me DD, what happened to no sporting scholarships - I believe that is in the GPS by-laws. What a cop out.
No such thing as sport scholarships. At least 3 of those country boarders are there at school because they live on properties and have to board. As well as family history. Can we get off the topic of scholarships?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ok, must have been the 2010 team but my point still stands CCC - 3, GPS - 14 plus, CAS - 8 plus, CHS - 7 plus. It doesn't add up.

Magpie I appreciate that you're quite disappointed with the number of CCC boys selected in the Schools teams. I myself thought that based on their performances at the Schools both MacDougall and McLean were worthy of selection as well as Morgan and picked all of them in my suggested Schools team in starting positions.(#616). I also picked other boys who were not selected in the eventual Schools team.

But have a good look at the School Champs results...yes GPS didn't play CCC but they beat CAS II, ISA and CHS with a total differential of + 116 including a victory over CHS 36-7 in the major final. CHS of course beat CCC albeit in a close contest.

The GPS deserve their high representation based on these results.

D

Dingdong

Are you kidding me DD, what happened to no sporting scholarships - I believe that is in the GPS by-laws. What a cop out.

I know 3 boys and their parents personally who are on scholarships abd can 100% guarantee you that none are on a so called sporting scholarship. I will not disclose who they are but I will say these boys have either an indiginous, educational or leadership scholarships and every one is absolutely deserving. They are ex school captains, top 5%ers educationally, community servants in many ways and just really good kids. These schools hand out dozens of different scholarships every year , why are you so fixated on it. The fact that a small persentage of scholarship boys are excellent athletes doesn't surprise me. Go have a look at any selective (educational ) state school and you'll find a inproportionate number of elite athletes compared to any other school(except full sports schools). Get over it!!

W

Wallaby Bob

Notwithstanding the great debate in this thread about team selections, what we do have is three plus teams of worthy 16 year old kids, approx 80 players, that we need to make sure we encourage and support over the next two years so we are in a position to beat Queensland in 2013.

It will be interesting to see where this thread leads us after City v Country and other games for the rest of the season.

Nationals long range prediction:
1. NSW Schools
2. Queensland White
3. Brumbies
4. Sydney Juniors
5. NSW Country
6. Queensland Red
7. Western Australia
8. Victoria

M

magpie4ever

Magpie you raised it..not me

I'm sorry but your logic just doesn't compute

Like CCC the GPS boys don't get to play together until U16s. I don't accept what you propose about the GPS boys playing against each other over "maybe 4 years" being greater than the opportunities city or country club players have playing against each other for up to 8 years before U16s rep football.

The GPS held one trial on Sunday 19 June (6 days before the State Champs), selected their team on Monday 20 June, had training sessions on Wed 22 and Thursday 23 June and played together for the first time on Saturday 25 June. The CCC held their selection trials on 16 and 17 May (5 weeks before the Schools Champs!),had a 3 day training camp on 3-5 June, had a trial game against AICES on 5 June, had another trial game against ISA on 19 June whilst all the while also conducting training sessions.

Be fair dinkum? Have a good look in the mirror Magpie.

You obviously don't know the Catholic System, in the metro area you have the MCS, MCC, ICSA & the Broken Bay Diocese, at least; then the regional and country numerous associations. These associations only come together in CCC tournaments (u15s, Opens - league & U16s & Opens - union), therefore, you might play against other player, if your team is in the same group. There is no formal competition like the GPS.

As with "had a 3 day training camp on 3-5 June, had a trial game against AICES on 5 June, had another trial game against ISA on 19 June whilst all the while also conducting training sessions." The AICES game was part of the camp, ISA trial yeah, but there was no training sessions conducted.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know these squads well enough to put them 1 - 15 (bracketing boys by position if needed to avoid trying to name a starting 15) so we can start looking at some of the head to head match ups?

Counting down to the first game - 82 days to go!

Schools:

1. Matthew Sandell
2. Jack King
3. Jarrod Matairavula
4. Josh Schwager
5. Lachlan Cannell
6. Anthony Vasillis
7. Nick Pennisi
8. Oliver Kamp
9. Rory Davis
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Oscar Pople
12. Michael Morgan
13. Tepai Moeroa
14. Hayden Cochrane
15. Andrew Kellaway

Looking at this squad in closer detail it has many strengths in the tight five, halves, centres and fullback. Biggest concern is the depth in the loosies and the finishers out wide.

Would still have Rory Davis as captain and Matt Sandell as VC

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
You obviously don't know the Catholic System, in the metro area you have the MCS, MCC, ICSA & the Broken Bay Diocese, at least; then the regional and country numerous associations. These associations only come together in CCC tournaments (u15s, Opens - league & U16s & Opens - union), therefore, you might play against other player, if your team is in the same group. There is no formal competition like the GPS.

As with "had a 3 day training camp on 3-5 June, had a trial game against AICES on 5 June, had another trial game against ISA on 19 June whilst all the while also conducting training sessions." The AICES game was part of the camp, ISA trial yeah, but there was no training sessions conducted.

I grew up in the Catholic system and am very proud to be a tyke.

Bottom line Magpie is CCC started out as a unit 5 weeks from the Schools Champs and the GPS started out together 6 days beforehand.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
No worse than your form tonight CTPE maybe mine is just mirroring yours.

Maybe its the red wine I'm consuming RT whilst watching the Blues lose to those banana benders yet again whilst balancing a laptop on my lap as I engage my fellow rugby afficiondos in the world of schoolboy rugby?

M

magpie4ever

Bloody Queensland, wonder if Inglis was on a music scholarship :lmao:(triangles) from Wauchope NSW to play for the canetoads.

I'm taking my bat and ball, sorry, boots & ball and going home.>:D

B

bellcheese

HEADLINE: SJRU reward mediocrity.

CAS were the most totally under achieving side can't make it into schools so lets load them into the Sydney side!

Having said that there are also some very good selections.

How will J Clark handle the Schools two run away freight trains running his channel? Few sleepless nights there i think!

Very disapointing SJRU and you had the chance to get it right.

CAS 1 were underprepared (compared to CCC especially)with several players not training due to open commitments + when the backline got some ball in games 2 and 3 they smashed teams (CS 67-7 and AICES 44-7) who gave IGS and ISA close games.Cam Orr deserved selection, Satiu (injured and missed trials), Whicker - all good players.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know these squads well enough to put them 1 - 15 (bracketing boys by position if needed to avoid trying to name a starting 15) so we can start looking at some of the head to head match ups?

Counting down to the first game - 82 days to go!

SYDNEY

1. Junior Satiu
2. Nick Koutsoukis
3. Vaka Maile
4. Malaki Afele
5. Matt Matson
6. David Morris
7. Jack McCalman
8. Cam Orr
9. Mitchell Short
10. Jamo Clark
11. Jack Redden
12. Eric Aukofolau
13. Matthew Crafts
14. Jacob Roberts
15. Harry Jones

Love the loosies in this team - Morris, McCalman and Orr - will create havoc.

Also like the back 3 - Jones, Roberts and Redden - just wonder though whether they have the players inside them (excluding Jamo Clark) to create the opportunities that they need.

McCalman captain and Clark VC

M

magpie4ever

I grew up in the Catholic system and am very proud to be a tyke.

Bottom line Magpie is CCC started out as a unit 5 weeks from the Schools Champs and the GPS started out together 6 days beforehand.

CTPE, if you are a tyke and not a GPS one you are a disgrace I say, a bloody disgrace. I will be talking to the Pope tomorrow regarding your excommunication.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.