• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
So barbarians showing up the big boys? (or at least making them work hard.). Any opinions as to why - nominally a team of cast offs, so are they just clicking, playing up a level or what? I know one of their coaches has an impressive club record with canterbury

Yes and the other coach is the Parra 16's rep coach.Baa Baa's gained well due to political selecting thus leaving alot of quality players good to go, and today they stepped up. Only a try apiece the difference being two penalty goals and a conversion. The Baa Baa's had them rattled the whole game.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE-It was so not so much that these boys were taking it easier than last w/e-it just seems in each side there's 3/4 boys of a standard quite a bit less,and cause the game to be so stop/start.I've never seen so many missed tackles and dropped balls for this level.Even class hookers not being able to throw straight or correct height.Pretty sub standard days rugby,when so much was expected!

Hear what you're saying but I still think we didn't see the same individual standards today from some players that were displayed last week. David Morris was one of the exceptions to this and the more I see him at rep level the more I'm impressed wirh him.

I think Harry Jones was one player who was probably affected by the standard of players around him as he seemed to lack finishers capable of capitalisng on what he was creating.

You could also see today which players only had the one opportunity of going to the Nationals. McCalman was a prime example. To me he was one of the glaring omissions from the GPS U16 team and was just outstanding today. Love to see him get rewarded with a Sydney jumper.

Good to see Tepai finally display his best as it was missing at both the State Champs and Schools Champs. He's hopefully got over his injuries.

Thought MNZ were disappointing all up and I think Malcsy hit it on the head in one of his previous posts when he questioned whether they had in fact picked their best available side especially in light of Gordon's win at the State Champs.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Totally agree with you on Malki. I reckon the times right for him to move to the front row(LH)

I heard that he's lost something like 25-30 kgs? Was always good when he played prop previously and I too agree that he's not an 8. Just wondering if his new levels of fitness and mobility would be better used at 4 or 5 as he's such a devastating runner with the ball in hand?

C

Casnovian

So barbarians showing up the big boys? (or at least making them work hard.). Any opinions as to why - nominally a team of cast offs, so are they just clicking, playing up a level or what? I know one of their coaches has an impressive club record with canterbury

The Baa Baas will become more impressive tomorrow as their cohesion improves. It was easy to pick the rugby league converts today - especially from the inordinate number of penalties - particularly in the second game against Norths. Silly and lazy off sides and ruck infringements slowed the game immensely.

Hopefully the message of not running across the field has been taken on board Cost them a win against Western Zone!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Based on what I saw today and last weekend (and putting aside the crossover of a few players) I couldn't see any of the teams at the Regionals coming within 20 points of the GPS U16's team.

C

cold coffee

Based on what I saw today and last weekend (and putting aside the crossover of a few players) I couldn't see any of the teams at the Regionals coming within 20 points of the GPS U16's team.

So what changes would you make to the GPS team to strengthen ?....

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
No Clark should have been playing as per his jersey No 12 but he obviously thought he was picked as a 10. It was hard to watch as he kept over calling Angeloni and as a result as per my previous post the back line suffered a loss of cohesion.

12 is about the only spot he hasn't been seen at this year.

spiker

Frank Row (1)
cold coffee-there could be a few changes to the GPS team-King the GPS had a shocker in the MNZ team,was very ordinary,and was one of the poor throwers I was talking about before.Maybe the MSZ/CAS(I think) from Randwick or even Donnely from MNZ to take his place.Also I think GPS need another prop and there's plenty of good boys from CAS/MWZ that could fill that place.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
So what changes would you make to the GPS team to strengthen ?....

I don't think it's a matter of strengthening the GPS team as it's done and dusted....they don't play any more games. But if you're talking about the School's U16 team have a look at NSW Schools team I suggested after last weekends Schools Champs

M

magpie4ever

here we go, here we go, here we go again

CTPE wants the school selectors to pick the GPS squad :lmao:

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE wants the school selectors to pick the GPS squad :lmao:

Not at all... the team I proposed post the Schools Champs had players from CAS, CHS and ISA players as well. But being blunt about it the GPS team dominated the Schools Champs particularly CHS in the final (like others I would have liked to have seen the CCC against GPS in the final as they probably deserved to be there). I just think that what we saw team wise today in comparison to the GPS performance last weekend was very disappointing.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
MOTH- The kid needs to stop making it all about him and start being a team player, I wouldn't have him in my team,for that reason alone.

RT you've shown youself to be a pretty good judge of both the game and players with your previous posts but I disagree with you on this one. I think Clark is a real talent. When I watched him playing for Parra at the State Champs I thought he did his best work at 15 with Cale at 10. I too don't think he is a centre but he may well find going forward that fullback is the better option for him.

C

Casnovian

Presidents men (more than 15)

Have to say Presidents team were very impressive - all 26 of them last weekend. Well tuned, very well prepared and very slick. Regularly rotated - the ref who did the three games in a row (and his one ball boy/linesman) didn't have a chance - not that I thought substitutions were of a big concern for the day or the trials.

Will be hard pressed not to dominate the NSW School selections as it is pretty much in your face that was their intent from get go. Strategy well executed!

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
RT you've shown youself to be a pretty good judge of both the game and players with your previous posts but I disagree with you on this one. I think Clark is a real talent. When I watched him playing for Parra at the State Champs I thought he did his best work at 15 with Cale at 10. I too don't think he is a centre but he may well find going forward that fullback is the better option for him.

CTPE-If he had played the role of an inside centre today instead of dropping in/ overcalling then the MWZ backs would have been alot more fluid.I agree he has a good pass and his kicking in general play can be quite good,but so are alot of other kids. I think he is overrated

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Presidents men (more than 15)

Have to say Presidents team were very impressive - all 26 of them last weekend. Well tuned, very well prepared and very slick. Regularly rotated - the ref who did the three games in a row (and his one ball boy/linesman) didn't have a chance - not that I thought substitutions were of a big concern for the day or the trials.

Will be hard pressed not to dominate the NSW School selections as it is pretty much in your face that was their intent from get go. Strategy well executed!

Makes you wonder doesn't it? - The GPS trials were only on the weekend before the Schools Champs and I think that they only had two training sessions together yet played such good team rugby. Some of the teams on display today have been training together for 3 weeks+

M

magpie4ever

Hey maggie lets see your team for schools

Rara10, having played league and union in the backline I wouldn't even try to select the tight 5; leave that to the expertises.:confused:

But the 2 CCC centres with Tepai would be a strong combination. CHS winger - Jennings.

CCC lock & a couple of the other squads had decent breakaways (if that what they are called these days).

Half & 5/8: there was plenty of talent there last weekend. :cool:

R

rara10

Rara10, having played league and union in the backline I wouldn't even try to select the tight 5; leave that to the expertises.:confused:

But the 2 CCC centres with Tepai would be a formal combination. CHS winger - Jennings.

CCC lock & a couple of the other squads had decent breakaways (if that what they are called these days).

Half & 5/8: there was plenty of talent there last weekend. :cool:

oh well at lest you had a go

Status
Not open for further replies.