• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

tight5

Frank Nicholson (4)
Mate, 99.9% of clubs have boys playing out of positions to accommodate the coach's son or the managers son or the president son, nephew, grandson and so forth. FOOLISH!! What I always say and believe is, IF A CHILD IS GIFTED THEY WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED. I know of a kid that ALWAYS played hooker, came selection time last year (also U15) he missed out to 2 x kids that played hooker for the first time. ( A parent was in the 'management' team). How foolish of parents to do that (very common at grassroots). Anyway, that kid sucked it up continued playing hooker and this year debuted for his GPS school 1st XV at 16. He and his GPS 1 U16 also won the Shield at St Gregs competing against ISA, CHS, CCC etc earlier this month. He will definitely make the NSW U16 this year. My point is, we should encourage kids to continue playing and roll with the punches. Nepotism does not get you a Green and Gold jersey, maybe a Sydney jersey and a NSW jersey AT A VERY JUNIOR LEVEL.

RIGHT Parenting is IMPORTANT. We can either discourage the children by playing the victim and give up easily because of nepos or teach them how to RISE ABOVE IT by continue to perfect their game?. It will be a valuable lesson in life for them too.
After looking at yourself when is it time to stop trying and looking at selection or process?

Minimum criteria/goals needs to be tabled by coaches etc prior to a players journey into rep footy.

NSWJRU need to realise club footy is a business - if parents/players aren't happy with the product/service provided claim the refund.

If schoolboy footy, not club footy is the elite comp. The result is reflective at Australian super and International rugby. Predictable and struggling

BellowTheSternum

Frank Row (1)
Shore V Saints live update, shore winning at halftime 10-7 but shore have receive a red card for their number 6 Gus Gordon referring one of the saints players as the F slur. Crying on the sideline as he was forced to apologise to the ref and player.

Ballscollector

Herbert Moran (7)
Been down at Northbridge watching the 1sts and 2nds, any clue on who the number 23 with the blue headgear is for Shore? Subbed on after halftime and put in quite a few good kicks helping Shore back into the fight. Also any idea on what the red card for Gordon was, looked like the ref signalled Chirping but anyone got anything concrete?

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure I agree with that, the u15's seem to be reasonably competitive, the Joeys team have the better of the schools, however the majority of that team play at Mosman who are reasonably competitive except for the Scorpians who are unbeatable when they can field a full team.
The u15 age group at Knox seem to be improving significantly over the past couple of years, Barker have always been competitive in that age group and Kings are getting stronger each year. I think all have been ramping up the recruitment drive.
The Mosman connection is via borders a Riverview. There is a consistent theme as to who is involved across an academy, a school and a district - hence the Sydney selections. Scorpions are the Two Blues team - and most play League on Saturday. Knox are weak - have not beaten any of the GPS teams in 3 years. In fact - we put 72 points on them. Barker grabbed the Holmes connections from Rats. Yes, they have all been ramping up their recruitment drive - from the same schools and the same clubs.

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
IMO 9&10 in U15&U16 are pretty much the same? I mean you might as well compare them as being in the same age group? There’s not many good 10’s in the U16 but PLENTY 9’s. The Sydney U15 #10 Finn Hannon is quite special. I would rate him above a couple of the current U16 #10.
The u15 9's and 10's are very strong I would have thought. The 2 Blues 10 is solid, the Wahroonga and Gordon 10 is solid. The Rats 9 is better than any 9 in the U16's. The best 10's in the U16 age group play opens for Kings and New. Not sure entirely what depth looks like - but whilst I think the U15 age group is weak across all of the schools - the halves was one position I would have thought is covered well.

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)
The Mosman connection is via borders a Riverview. There is a consistent theme as to who is involved across an academy, a school and a district - hence the Sydney selections. Scorpions are the Two Blues team - and most play League on Saturday. Knox are weak - have not beaten any of the GPS teams in 3 years. In fact - we put 72 points on them. Barker grabbed the Holmes connections from Rats. Yes, they have all been ramping up their recruitment drive - from the same schools and the same clubs.
Either way the Sydney selections sound scandalous. Who is responsible?

belowthesternum

Bob McCowan (2)
The u15 9's and 10's are very strong I would have thought. The 2 Blues 10 is solid, the Wahroonga and Gordon 10 is solid. The Rats 9 is better than any 9 in the U16's. The best 10's in the U16 age group play opens for Kings and New. Not sure entirely what depth looks like - but whilst I think the U15 age group is weak across all of the schools - the halves was one position I would have thought is covered well.
I believe for the u16s, whoever was the 9 for the NSW Academy 15s last year was signed by the Waratahs. I'm not too sure of the name though, It could be that Rats 9 though.

stephenhawkins

Frank Row (1)
11 Norths Kids is scandalous. However may have happened due to such a weak age group in the u15s. I was impressed with none of the talent at state champs and regionals. If I was working within the gen blue camp I would be very nervous for the future. Something has to be done it is a real concern. Are there any standouts within the u15 age group?

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
The 2023 Two Blues U15 #9 and 2023 NSW U15 #9 is actually the best 9 in the U16 this year IMO. He is currently Oakhill College #9 for their 1st XV. Waratahs signed him last year for that reason.

Yes TKS 2nd XV #10 and Oakhill College U16 A #10 are both good flyhalfs BUT IMO I still favour the Joeys U15 fly half (FH). I have seen him on attack, Defense and has a great kicking game too. That’s my own opinion of course.

I have seen all 3 play and I favour the Joeys U15 #10.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Sydney selections are completely scandalous.

I am not sure I would say scandalous, but I would say symptomatic of a flawed process…

For example, the Norths 10, 12, 13 are excellent players and easily deserved selection in the Sydney team. They have cohesion from Mosman and Norths and were selected in the Sydney Red backline. As a unit, they were miles ahead of any other midfield at the carnival and when they were on the field together, the Sydney Red backs carved up.

What would have made more sense was for them not to all be selected in the same Sydney team, or for the selectors to step in at the carnival to reshuffle the teams to see some other combinations.

The inverse of this situation happened with Sydney Blue. The Penrith 12 was not at the carnival and one of the reserves filled his spot. Was clearly out of his depth (and suspect likely hadn’t played at 12) and resulted in Sydney Blue backs having no chance of further selection.

If the purpose of the carnival is to pick a team for progression to higher honours, it would make more sense to have a pool of 3 teams selected. Have them coached by the selectors as a pool, not as 3 seperate teams. The selectors then get to see skills, fitness, attitude, etc at training. Then pick and choose players and teams over the weekend so that selectors can be looking at players, not just combinations. Selectors should be on the field interjecting during breaks in the game instructing players how they want to see the game played.

Selectors could also match up teams during the game to get the selection match ups they wanted to see. eg. There was 1 game I saw where a number of the reserve forwards were playing the other teams first choice forwards. That team hardly got any ball and when they did it was under extreme defense pressure, so limited the players ability to show anything other than a scrambled kick for touch.

P.S I have no problem with the 10,12,13 being in the Sydney team as they are excellent, just that the current process meant it was inevitable that this was going to be the combination.

gus titler

Peter Burge (5)
Gus (Mudgee mud crab) Littler has had an outstanding holiday full of good footy. He first started off lining up with Hasani Bloomfield his great mate in gps where he showed tenacity through his runs and his heroic character through his rugged defence. These performances at GPS earned him a spot in NSW Schools II. Watch out for the gen blue team coming out in the next week, would not be surprised if he slides himself right in there. Who were your outstanding players from the NSW U16 carnivals over the last couple weeks.

Rookie21

Jimmy Flynn (14)
G’day lads. Apologies for the radio silence over the last few weeks. Been a busy boy with my travels. I’m writing to you from the scorching Madrid, Spain. Keen for the rugby to start back up this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.