• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

OleMan

Frank Row (1)
I don't understand why Australian rugby community always wants to point its finger at where we are strong.
I think that's the problem there... It's only strong within it's own bubble. If it was truly strong on a global level then that talent would be filtering through to the Waratahs and Wallabies and they be would be winning. So the solution should be to make it stronger and increase the competition.

sundayeightpm

Allen Oxlade (6)
You got it. No prizes for guessing that one. The nepotism in this age group has significantly weakened rugby.
Yes, it does not bode well. This is the age group I am involved in, and this has been shaping up for some time now. As an age group - there is very little depth - GPS schools (apart from the one obvious school who also apparently contributed a Governor General) has a very weak B's and down. CAS and ISA schools only have C's at best in some examples. Even club land has fallen away in this group, with a pretty uninspiring A Grade comp. It's sad - and not sure how to resolve this quickly and easily. Maybe some of the decision makers behind the selections read this forum ;-)

Maul of Duty

Sydney Middleton (9)
Provided the parents can afford it. You can be a very talented club rugby player playing week in week out in a mixed talent team, play rep rugby, but not every kid can just go home and make a decision that his parents are going to send him to a GPS or CAS school. I agree with what you're saying with regards to surrounding yourself with exceptional players, etc.
So many can't afford it, but there are many parents that do work multiple jobs to make it work. At the end of the day, if the parents want to go down that path, they are doing it understanding that it is not only about the sport but also the connections and network that can be built. It's a very difficult decision for some families for sure and there are some willing to do it and others that just can't unfortunately. The best thing is that the cream will always rise to the top and talent will always be identified through the multiple pathways available.

Game_Day_Ritual

Ward Prentice (10)
Yep - great story...2nd one in the last 2 years. We are seeing more of this...and whilst it is a little confronting, it is a great thing about our game! MLR will also provide another legit pathway for our athletes also. This is what we need to talk about some more. if a young athlete can expand their career to Europe or the US, surely this is a value proposition that is truly unique to Rugby against all other contact sport options in this country (excluding the round ball - which I don't like to talk about anyway).
We have to remember only 4 pro teams left in Australia. As an example, France in top 14 and D2 have 26 pro teams. The money is at times 2 to 3 times that of Oz and you get to play in places like Paris, Biarritz, Toulon, La Rochelle etc

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Provided the parents can afford it. You can be a very talented club rugby player playing week in week out in a mixed talent team, play rep rugby, but not every kid can just go home and make a decision that his parents are going to send him to a GPS or CAS school. I agree with what you're saying with regards to surrounding yourself with exceptional players, etc.
Can they play a musical instrument…..

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
One age group in particular this year has been decimated by blatant nepotism with selection into Sydney Regional and Sydney team. The team that ended up wining the State Championships undefeated this year will be lucky to field a team next year. They've all given up because of the bias and favoritism with selections and will be lost to Rugby forever. The game is being decimated at the top end faster than it can be built at the bottom end.
I won't comment on Sydney and their selection but I can say this, nepotism is everywhere and in every sport especially at grassroot level. What I can say is though, I am sure those Two Blues U15players that missed out will be named in one of the teams to compete at Camden in the Waratahs U15 Cup next month.

Last edited: