• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Maul of Duty

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm not sure if having talent spread through multiple weak teams is any better. (Trying to avoid the banned word) But in most sports there is a tendency to gather talent in a smaller number of teams at junior levels.

Personally think Super Rugby AUNZ (or even Super Rugby AU) needs an U21 or maybe U23 properly funded and played before Senior games to provide an equivalent path to NRL to the majority of kids.
I also believe that in many cases, it is the talented player that make the decision to go to either the GPS or CAS school as they know they will play in a stronger competition week in and week out and it will only benefit their own game. Unfortunately being a standout player in a weaker team/division does not always mean that they can cut it at a higher representative level. I have seen boys been given the shot and they just aren't physically conditioned the same way (physically and mentally) and leads to big disappointment for the player.

I really believe that young players now, really do understand that they need to surround themselves with like minded people and other exceptional players to get the best out of their own game and to keep improving at a greater rate.

CasualObserver

Herbert Moran (7)
I also believe that in many cases, it is the talented player that make the decision to go to either the GPS or CAS school as they know they will play in a stronger competition week in and week out and it will only benefit their own game. Unfortunately being a standout player in a weaker team/division does not always mean that they can cut it at a higher representative level. I have seen boys been given the shot and they just aren't physically conditioned the same way (physically and mentally) and leads to big disappointment for the player.

I really believe that young players now, really do understand that they need to surround themselves with like minded people and other exceptional players to get the best out of their own game and to keep improving at a greater rate.
Competition for spots all the way through at the strong schools makes them stronger at the pointy end. Kids in Joeys As, B's, C's underage teams have to do a fair bit of extra stuff away from school to stay in those teams. The kids that pop out at the end have to be in a better spot than being a walk-up start into the A's every year at a weaker school.

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
I believe that these are all the boys (who are currently in school), that were not eligible to be selected in the Aus. Schools team as this seems to be higher honors.

Well done to all the original boys in the squad and to all the new boys that have now been added in. For the new boys, I think that is testament to hard work throughout the season so far and based on on-field performances week in and week out.

Did a list of the squad named in March 2024 vs July 2024. Great to see additional players added to the list.

Attachments

• PONI.png
    PONI.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 138

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)

100% Agree with this comment, I know of a kid who moved in 2023 from an ISA school to a GPS school purely to compete at a stronger competition and improve his game. He has improved so much in his game and today he has been named in the U18 development squad. Well done to him.

Mafalda Fuda

Bob McCowan (2)
100% Agree with this comment, I know of a kid who moved in 2023 from an ISA school to a GPS school purely to compete at a stronger competition and improve his game. He has improved so much in his game and today he has been named in the U18 development squad. Well done to him.
Not sure i agree. Auggies & Oakhill would finish 1 and 2 (no particular order) based on their unblemished records against CAS schools to date. I am not sure if moving to Aloys, Cranbrook or Trinity would provide these boys with greater opportunities as the ISA comp seems to be a lot more balanced than CAS with no 70-80 point plus victories noted. Also there seems to be more player depth in ISA than CAS particulry in the 13-16 age groups with the 2 schools noted above plus Pats and Stannies appearing to have greater lower age group numbers than all CAS schools other than Waverley.

CasualObserver

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure i agree. Auggies & Oakhill would finish 1 and 2 (no particular order) based on their unblemished records against CAS schools to date. I am not sure if moving to Aloys, Cranbrook or Trinity would provide these boys with greater opportunities as the ISA comp seems to be a lot more balanced than CAS with no 70-80 point plus victories noted. Also there seems to be more player depth in ISA than CAS particulry in the 13-16 age groups with the 2 schools noted above plus Pats and Stannies appearing to have greater lower age group numbers than all CAS schools other than Waverley.
The original comment was comparing ISA and GPS, not ISA to CAS

sundayeightpm

Allen Oxlade (6)
Signed a big deal over in France.
Yep - great story...2nd one in the last 2 years. We are seeing more of this...and whilst it is a little confronting, it is a great thing about our game! MLR will also provide another legit pathway for our athletes also. This is what we need to talk about some more. if a young athlete can expand their career to Europe or the US, surely this is a value proposition that is truly unique to Rugby against all other contact sport options in this country (excluding the round ball - which I don't like to talk about anyway).