• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Good for you, however if in the future if you have a issue with my opinion then I would appreciate it if you would direct the comments at me.. Not to much ask

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good for you, however if in the future if you have a issue with my opinion then I would appreciate it if you would direct the comments at me.. Not to much ask

Sigh. I think you are creating a side issue to cover for the fact you just blew up over nothing but okay, in the future I will personally address you even though I DID mean it as a collective because you aren't the only soul I've heard express the opinion I was discussing.

T

TOCC

and everyones happy.... except the AFL who are furious that the new Victorian Premier is a rabid rugby union supporter and will put the squeeze on AFL funding...sic

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well in other news:

http://www.rebel-army.com/archives/732

Herewith a rundown of the 32 Rebels players, and the clubs/ schools they will be working with come 2011:

Peter Betham: Maroondah - St Francis Xavier College Beaconsfield

Rodney Blake: Box Hill - Geelong Grammar

Adam Byrnes: Power House - Brighton Grammar

Alister Campbell: Eltham – Xavier College

Tom Chamberlain: Maroondah – Ivanhoe Grammar

Danny Cipriani: Harlequins – Haileybury College

Sam Cordingley: Power House – Melbourne Grammar

Tim Davidson: Melton – Victoria Uni Secondary College

Gareth Delve: Footscray – Scotch College

JP Du Plessis: Box Hill – Mt Waverley Secondary College

Adam Freier: Melbourne – Marcellin College

Mark Gerrard: Southern Districts/ Cerberus – Trinity Grammar

Nic Henderson: Footscray – Trinity Grammar

James Hilgendorf: Melbourne – Melbourne High

Julian Huxley: Melbourne Uni – Xavier College

Luke Jones: Melbourne Uni – Craigieburn High

Richard Kingi: Northern – Marcellin College

Michael Lipman: Moorabbin – Mentone Grammar

Hoani Macdonald: Monash University Rugby Club – Carey Grammar

Lachlan Mitchell: Boroondara – Ivanhoe Grammar

Sterling Mortlock: Endeavour Hills – Carey Grammar

Kevin O’Neill: St Patricks College OC/University of Ballarat – St Patricks College

Hugh Pyle: Southern Districts/Cerberus – Melbourne Grammar

Ged Robinson: Harlequins – Haileybury College

Luke Rooney: Geelong – St Kevins College

Jarrod Saffy: Wyndham City – St Kevins College

Greg Somerville: Boroondara – Noble Park Secondary School

Afusipa Taumoepeau: Wyndham City – Braybrook Secondary School

Heath Tessmann: Monash University Womens/Womens Ambassador – Mt Waverly Secondary School

Cooper Vuna: Endeavour Hills – Mentone Grammar

Laurie Weeks: Bendigo Rugby Club – Scotch Collage

Nick Phipps: Moorabbin – Brighton Grammar

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
svPERFORM22-600x400.jpg

at the sports performer awards

Cyril Towers (30)
Looks like Hux needs to give some of those guys a few style lessons. Starting with you, Laurie!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
and everyones happy.... except the AFL who are furious that the new Victorian Premier is a rabid rugby union supporter and will put the squeeze on AFL funding...sic

I never said that though, he is obviously an AFL fan. There isn't a rule saying you can't support multiple sports but I'd say the one you chose to play would certainly be your preference.

Also, Heath Tessman - Woman's Ambassador is priceless. I think he'll get a bit of a rile up from the boys, in good fun, but it's great to see someone working with Victorian women's rugby.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Victoria’s new Premier, a rugby man!

It may be news to some, but not to the many Victorian rugby fans who have known our new Premier as a member of our rugby community for more than 40 years.

Ted Baillieu played rugby at school for Melbourne Grammar and then went on to play 120 games for the Melbourne Rugby Club from 1971. He is equal record holder for Colts games played (46)and he captained the Melbourne Colts to a Premiership in 1973. He also coached the Melbourne Colts in 1982.

Ted also represented Victoria in 1975 and 1976.

Importantly, Ted has continued his interest in the game over the years as a member of the Melbourne Rugby Club, attending games and social events.

In recent years he was a high profile supporter of the successful Melbourne Rebels in the Australian Rugby Championship in 2007. As evidenced by the photo above, Ted still proudly wears his original Rebels jersey in his daily workouts.

The RaboDirect Rebels congratulate Mr. Baillieu on his victory in last weekend’s state election and we look forward to welcoming him to the Rebels family as we prepare for our blockbuster opening games in February next year.

from: http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/840/Default.aspx

So he definitely has some Rugby pedigree no matter what his favourite sport is. Might be time to get him a new jersey though.

Also found it slightly funny that the Rebels who have never played as a team were at the sports performer awards, and one of their representatives has never played a game in Australia as far as I can tell (Gareth Delve). Maybe just my sense of humor.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looks like Hux needs to give some of those guys a few style lessons. Starting with you, Laurie!

like all good props, his collar is too tight. and also in that theme, he barely has room for a collar between his head and shoulders.

well laurie weeks did tweet he was dissapointed in the fact he couldn't do it up....

Expect better from a Joeys boy.

How did a no-neck prop make it through the Joey's system? Brother Boyd usually uses converted breakaways in the front row.

Laurie might not be sartorially elegant but the last thing we need are chicken-neck front rowers.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How did a no-neck prop make it through the Joey's system? Brother Boyd usually uses converted breakaways in the front row.

Jake Howard, Dec Curran, Mick Murray, Matt Ryan, they've had a few good ones, together with the odd hooker, Chris Carberry, Kevin O'Kane and Bruce Malouf. There are still a few lurking around Uni, Jeremy Tilse and Paddy Ryan.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jake Howard, Dec Curran, Mick Murray, Matt Ryan, they've had a few good ones, together with the odd hooker, Chris Carberry, Kevin O'Kane and Bruce Malouf. There are still a few lurking around Uni, Jeremy Tilse and Paddy Ryan.

You're right, Lindommer, they've certainly produced some good ones but not too many in recent years like Laurie who are custom built to prop.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

You left out Bill Young.
Laurie Weekes did have a neck once , & played B/W with Wests juniors prior to going to Joeys.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
You left out Bill Young. Laurie Weeks did have a neck once, & played B/W with Wests Juniors prior to going to Joeys.

I did say "a few good ones", do you really think Bill Young qualifies there? Although I did leave out Tony Daly.

Laurie was, what, 11 when he left Wests Juniors in 1997, I don't think his final position was settled then. My young bloke played wing for the under 7s at Wests Juniors in 1997, he's now a 191cm second-rower.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I did say "a few good ones", do you really think Bill Young qualifies there? Although I did leave out Tony Daly.

Laurie was, what, 11 when he left Wests Juniors in 1997, I don't think his final position was settled then. My young bloke played wing for the under 7s at Wests Juniors in 1997, he's now a 191cm second-rower.

Sorry , I would have thought that Bill Young's record with the Wallabies & Brumbies , qualifies him as kind of good? You don't seem to agree.
Of course I am aware of the bleeding obvious , that as a junior Weekes was still developing physically , which had a bearing on his position & shape then . He didn't suddenly become a prop at Joeys for that matter.

T

tranquility

Can anyone give me a little bit of information on Chris's playing career? I have met him a few times, and have heard he was a tough unit. He doesn't talk about it all very much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.