• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure if its been posted in amongst the 70 pages but can someone advise if there is a development squad and if so who's on it.

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone see this article in The Australian:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-world-cup-glory/story-e6frg7o6-1225967246434

The last paragraph interested me:

While Mortlock did not want to give too much away about the way the Rebels will play, he suggested there would be some surprises in store.

"We have been working tirelessly, but we still have a lot of work to do," Mortlock said.

"The next two months will be crucial in implementing our style of game. I guess we are aspiring to challenge the status quo.

"Our style will be unique and different, not only to Australian teams, but the rest of the teams."

Is he full of it?? Or are we going to see something really special from the Mastercoach??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
like another of Warnie's mystery balls that he's been developing in the off-season.

Perhaps Morty and Rod have been working on the Baroopa

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
I reckon it is a pretty big call after this year's Reds performance . . . How "innovative" can they be??

Can't wait to find out.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think with Morty and Vuna the rumored 1st preference center combo we might see them heading pods the way that a forward traditionally would.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Relax folks: this is just "talk is cheap" stuff to get a few column inches in the Melbourne papers, and to tickle the interests of tragics like us.

If they had said "Some of the Aussie players are running rings around the overseas stars who had better watch out": that may interest this old dog to start barking.

T

TOCC

exactly LG, saying comments like "we are going to replicate other teams playing style" doesnt exactly excite the fans, in saying that though, every team has a slightly different playing style anyway, Melbourne will naturally have a different style due to the fusion of players form the various competitions and other codes

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
A late entry in the 2010 Wisdom of Rugby Awards. Stirling Mortlock with:

""Our style will be unique and different" as distinct from ""Our style will be unique but the same as everyone else".

Has to be on the short list.

T

TOCC

Look at the captain, look at the backs coach.

They'll muscle it.

well i think you only need to look at Maqueens past teams playing style, hardly unique though, kiwi teams and saffa teams have tried it at various points

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As a mindless summer musing (which may have been covered before); why are they the Melbourne Rebels when every other Aus Super team is named for their respective state/territory? Recognition that rugby has no pull in regional Vic, more direct competition with the Storm??

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
a move towards franchised super rugby and harold mitchells obsession with brnad recognition i think where the two previously stated options

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
also, do any of you rebels fans have .pdfs released by the rebels themselves? in particular with their logos on them, if so i would very much like a copy to benefit all of us, in creating a lossless vector of the logo

dw bout it, found something

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
As a mindless summer musing (which may have been covered before); why are they the Melbourne Rebels when every other Aus Super team is named for their respective state/territory? Recognition that rugby has no pull in regional Vic, more direct competition with the Storm??

Brumbies?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Um, at the risk of being done hook, line and sinker; they are the Australian Capital Territory Brumbies. along with NSW Waratahs, Qld Reds, Western Force - all state/territory designation and not the city as with the Rebels.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Brumbies?

They're the ACT Brumbies though - not the Canberra Brumbies

I think part of it is that they're trying to tap into the perception that Melbourne is the "sporting capital". Victorian Rebels doesn't have the same effect.

Also, a Victorian Rebel sounds a bit like a 19th century monarch refusing to attend a family function.

E

Evan

a move towards franchised super rugby and harold mitchells obsession with brnad recognition i think where the two previously stated options

Will we end up with each of the Super Rugby teams being private franchises eventually? Say the QRU "sells" the Queensland Reds to a consortium and the "Brisbane Reds" enter the competition?

If you are going to go with a City rather than State name, ACT and Victoria are the places that would work the best (on account of them being geographically small and so centralised). "Melbourne" Rebels does create an very odd imbalance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.