• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Warnambool play in the Melbourne 2nd Division comp.

I've always thought that if the Boarder Army merged with the Albury-Wodonga Steamers in a similar vein to the Souths and Cerberus alliance then we could have another 1st Division club.

If Deniliquin does it then it shouldn't be an issue for the Albury club (even though they are a "Albury-Wodonga" club)

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't Albury fit into the Southern NSW part of the Brumby catchment and would therefore play in the ACT comp?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't Albury fit into the Southern NSW part of the Brumby catchment and would therefore play in the ACT comp?

I think they play in a NSW Country comp despite the fact they would, geographically speaking, be in the Brumby catchment. Also Albury is in South NSW but Wodonga is in Northern Victoria and the club is called Albury-Wodonga at times (though usually abbreviated to Albury).

I've done the drive before and it's a solid drive but doable in a morning. Perhaps it's unrealistic for them to play in the Vic comp but it was just an off the cusp thought, it sure would be great for the Vics to get a quality club like the Steamers involved in their competition.

Maybe they could get a neutral ground half way between Melbourne and Albury-Wodonga from a council or farmer (there is certainly enough space). They could play half their home games and half their away games there to limit travel for all the clubs.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Dont Albury Wodonga have several clubs? Certainly an under achiever in rugby considering the populalation base but then AFL is very popular there

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Dont Albury Wodonga have several clubs? Certainly an under achiever in rugby considering the populalation base but then AFL is very popular there

I think they only have the 1 team army club that plays in the Vic Country league and a 3 team local club that plays in a large Southern NSW country league.

I could be wrong though.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

The Albury Steamers are in the Southern Inland Rugby Union which is part of the ACT & Southern NSW Rugby Union. Brumbies territory now stretches from the far South Coast across to Goulburn and Crookwell to Young, West Wyalong, Griffith, Hay and Albury. Goulburn, Yass and Cooma were part of the original ACT Rugby Union. There were rumblings some years ago for the Illawarra RU to join the expanded ACTRU, which would've meant Camden not playing in a NSW comp, but the NSWRU thought that was just too much and convinced the Wollongong lads to stay. Having inside knowledge as I do of things rugby in southern NSW I must say the Brumbies do a fine job promoting the code in their territory, much better than NSW Country RU ever did.

Albury Steamers play Griffith, Cootamundra, Grenfell, Young, Hay and the four Wagga teams: Rivcoll (an old name for CSU which the rugby club keep), Agriculture, City and Waratahs. Some towns (Hay, Temora and Tumut) field one team in lower grades and outlying sides, such as Albury, don't play the most distant opponents (West Wyalong, Young and Cootamundra) every year. Deniliquin had a team some years ago and a side spasmodically pops up in Narrandera, Leeton or Yanko.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Brumbies_Territory1.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
So the Brumbies colours cover the state of NSW?

A takeover? Crikey. To the barricades lads. Head them off at Wagga Lindommer. It's already gone? The bastards. Are you there Orange? Orange?? ?? They're calling it Blue and Yellow now?? Arghhhhhh.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I don't think the Rebels will be happy that Mildura is shown on the Brumbies map. The last time I was there it was a Victorian town.....just across the Murray River which is the border. Not sure if they produce rugby players though although their wines and Italian restaurants are superb!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
So the Brumbies colours cover the state of NSW?

A takeover? Crikey. To the barricades lads. Head them off at Wagga Lindommer. It's already gone? The bastards. Are you there Orange? Orange?? ?? They're calling it Blue and Yellow now?? Arghhhhhh.

It's ok Lee, Tah man will save you. :lmao:

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've been watching a Montpellier game here and there lately and wow this Mamuka Gorgodze guy is impressive.

He is a Georgian international utility back-rower who is 26 and of intimidating proportions (as per his nickname Gorgodzilla).

I'd love to see him play some Super rugger (particularly for the Rebels) and with his interesting origins he really would have the potential to become a fan favourite.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The Rebels really should be pushing the asian in Gareth Delve, Huge untapped sports market (even just asians within australia), lacking any real heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.