• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can anyone give me a little bit of information on Chris's playing career? I have met him a few times, and have heard he was a tough unit. He doesn't talk about it all very much though.

Some information on Chris Carberry from Jack Pollard’s Australian Rugby:

Played for Sydney Uni, NSW, GPS Old Boys, Queensland and Australia – 13 Tests

“A tough hooker who organised Australia’s scrums successfully for several seasons. … He set himself to break even against nations with a long tradition of scrummaging expertise and achieved his goals even when his tight five conceded big advantages in weight. …

“Carberry reasoned that successful scrummaging at international level depended not so much on the speed of the hooker’s strike, but on rock-solid front and second rows which could not be pushed off the ball. He introduced the term ‘scrum organiser’, concentrating on binding and a coordinated shove to achieve parity in scrums, give the back row of the scrum a chance to work moves, and provide the back line with a workable ball.”

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If memory serves, and I am pretty sure that it does, Carberry wrote a learned article about the science of the scrum, which was published in the SMH, and not in the sports pages. Hard to imagine something like this happening today.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyone going down to Visy Park this afternoon for the Rebels open training session? Its from 3.30 to 4.30 if you don't know about it.

T

TheTruth

Some information on Chris Carberry from Jack Pollard’s Australian Rugby:

Played for Sydney Uni, NSW, GPS Old Boys, Queensland and Australia – 13 Tests

“A tough hooker who organised Australia’s scrums successfully for several seasons. … He set himself to break even against nations with a long tradition of scrummaging expertise and achieved his goals even when his tight five conceded big advantages in weight. …

“Carberry reasoned that successful scrummaging at international level depended not so much on the speed of the hooker’s strike, but on rock-solid front and second rows which could not be pushed off the ball. He introduced the term ‘scrum organiser’, concentrating on binding and a coordinated shove to achieve parity in scrums, give the back row of the scrum a chance to work moves, and provide the back line with a workable ball.”

T

TheTruth

Sorry, but he only played 13 Tests. Was his career cut short or a late starter

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So looked at the stats. Carbs debuted in 1973 and played his last test in 1982. He was a lawyer so obviously had to fit in study and work commitments.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So looked at the stats. Carbs debuted in 1973 and played his last test in 1982. He was a lawyer so obviously had to fit in study and work commitments.

Chris did bugger all study, didn't pass his final exams to gain admittance until he joined his brother, Tim, at Carberry & Co in the early 80s. In fact I think it may've even been in the mid 80s. Chris married quite young and had a family to take care of in the 70s.

The hooking role was shared with Peter Horton in the late 70s, early 80s. Stick up the stats for PH, Reg.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In 73 Cards played twice, and Mick Freney twice
74 - Horton all three
75 - all 6
76 - Horton 3 and Cards 5
77 - no tests played
78 - all 5
79 -Billy Ross 3 and Horton 2
80 - Ross all 4
81 - Carbs all 5
82 - Carbs 1, Bruce Malouf 1, Lance Walker 2, Ross 2.

T

tranquility

In 73 Cards played twice, and Mick Freney twice
74 - Horton all three
75 - all 6
76 - Horton 3 and Cards 5
77 - no tests played
78 - all 5
79 -Billy Ross 3 and Horton 2
80 - Ross all 4
81 - Carbs all 5
82 - Carbs 1, Bruce Malouf 1, Lance Walker 2, Ross 2.

Cheers guys, I appreciate it. He's a top bloke.

T

TOCC

to be honest i havent heard much about the Rebels academy at all, havent heard much about QLD players been approaced by them

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
to be honest i havent heard much about the Rebels academy at all, havent heard much about QLD players been approaced by them

I know a few Canberra Players are returning to Melbourne such as Afa Amosa, Melbourne Lesa to be part of this Academy as well as Seilala Lam....from reports...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know a few Canberra Players are returning to Melbourne such as Afa Amosa, Melbourne Lesa to be part of this Academy as well as Seilala Lam....from reports...

It's terrific to see guys returning and it will also mean that some of the clubs in outer Melbourne who tend to develop all the juniors will be more competitive with the inner Melbourne clubs who tend to get benefit from having a more central location.

The Vic league should be pretty good this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RaboDirect Rebels 5-star allocation
Player – Club – School

Peter Betham: Maroondah – St Francis Xavier College Beaconsfield
Rodney Blake: Box Hill – Geelong Grammar
Adam Byrnes: Power House – Brighton Grammar
Alister Campbell: Eltham – Xavier College
Tom Chamberlain: Maroondah – Ivanhoe Grammar
Danny Cipriani: Harlequin – Haileybury College
Sam Cordingley: Power House – Melbourne Grammar
Tim Davidson: Melton – Victoria Uni Secondary College
Gareth Delve: Footscray – Scotch College
JP Du Plessis: Box Hill – Mt Waverley Secondary College
Adam Freier: Melbourne – Marcellin College
Mark Gerrard: Southern Districts/ Cerberus – Trinity Grammar
Nic Henderson: Footscray – Trinity Grammar
James Hilgendorf: Melbourne – Melbourne High
Julian Huxley: Melbourne Uni – Xavier College
Luke Jones: Melbourne Uni – Craigieburn High
Richard Kingi: Northern – Marcellin College
Michael Lipman: Moorabbin – Mentone Grammar
Hoani Macdonald: Monash University Rugby Club – Carey Grammar
Lachlan Mitchell: Boroondara – Ivanhoe Grammar
Sterling Mortlock: Endeavour Hills – Carey Grammar
Kevin O’Neill: St Patricks College OC/University of Ballarat – St Patricks College
Hugh Pyle: Southern Districts/Cerberus – Melbourne Grammar
Ged Robinson: Harlequin – Haileybury College
Luke Rooney: Geelong – St Kevins College
Jarrod Saffy: Wyndham City – St Kevins College
Greg Somerville: Boroondara – Noble Park Secondary School
Afusipa Taumoepeau: Wyndham City – Braybrook Secondary School
Heath Tessmann: Monash University Womens/Womens Ambassador – Mt Waverly Secondary School
Cooper Vuna: Endeavour Hills – Mentone Grammar
Laurie Weeks: Bendigo Rugby Club – Scotch Collage
Nick Phipps: Moorabbin – Brighton Grammar

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
oops sorry. Was it confirmed that they are not playing with those clubs? Just supporting?

Weeks Tweets:

@RugbyReg no it's more of an ambassadorial role. I'll be playing in syd next year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
oops sorry. Was it confirmed that they are not playing with those clubs? Just supporting?

Weeks Tweets:
@RugbyReg no it's more of an ambassadorial role. I'll be playing in syd next year.

Syd Uni will have a stronger side ................. Jerry Y, Tilse, Ryan & Weeks - not a bad club front row roster

Status
Not open for further replies.