• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Most of the Victorian born rugby fans in Victoria support both codes heavily but considering how many people at my club have told me he was a keen bean and the fact I've seen photos of him in his playing days with quite a handsome mullet I would say he is likely a bigger Union fan then AFL.

I think I was told once he was captain of Melbourne Grammar rugby in his time but that could be incorrect, however he certainly attended the school and it would have been the premier Victorian school rugger program of it's day.

Very well, this however is not evidence that he is a rugby fan first and foremost, getting back to my initial statement, it will probably mean very little in relation to rugby union in Victoria.

Its good to have people like this as friends, however the delicacies of politics especially in a state like Victoria will thwart any attempts at favourtism directed at rugby union.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce not everything is an attack on Sydney University and it's playing ranks, I wasn't saying where will he play I was saying where would he be involved.

Sorry, e_n_e, I wasn't being defensive about Sydney Uni. If Lawrie were going to play club rugby in Melbourne I would also expect him to turn out for Melbourne Uni, completing the trifecta. My guess is that he was probably directed to Bendigo by the Rebels people.

I was just making the point that he is strongly committed to Sydney Uni. Some time before he signed for Melbourne he told me that he would only do so if they let him come back to play for his old club. That was one of the reasons he was unhappy with the Reds. They forced him to play for a Queensland club.

As soon as I knew he was signing with the Reds I got in contact with Queensland Uni and suggested that they sign him up.

In any case, after he has served whatever suspension has apparently been handed to him by the national selectors, I don't expect him to be playing much club football. If he's not a Wallabies standard prop I'm no judge of a footballer, but then again a lot of people already think that.

T

TOCC

Sorry, e_n_e, I wasn't being defensive about Sydney Uni. If Lawrie were going to play club rugby in Melbourne I would also expect him to turn out for Melbourne Uni, completing the trifecta. My guess is that he was probably directed to Bendigo by the Rebels people.

I was just making the point that he is strongly committed to Sydney Uni. Some time before he signed for Melbourne he told me that he would only do so if they let him come back to play for his old club. That was one of the reasons he was unhappy with the Reds. They forced him to play for a Queensland club.

As soon as I knew he was signing with the Reds I got in contact with Queensland Uni and suggested that they sign him up.

In any case, after he has served whatever suspension has apparently been handed to him by the national selectors, I don't expect him to be playing much club football. If he's not a Wallabies standard prop I'm no judge of a footballer, but then again a lot of people already think that.

This bewilders me... How dare they tell him to play rugby in the state that is paying his wages

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This bewilders me... How dare they tell him to play rugby in the state that is paying his wages

There are at least 30 Sydney Uni players who are contracted one way or another to the franchises. Once again there is only one with the Reds.

To my knowledge the Reds are the only franchise which currently requires their players to play in the local club competition.

It could be that the attitude of "we're paying your wages, we'll tell you what to do" is a disincentive for players who have established club loyalties. But it's entirely up to Queenslanders how they want to operate their system.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It could be that the attitude of "we're paying your wages, we'll tell you what to do" is a disincentive for players who have established club loyalties. But it's entirely up to Queenslanders how they want to operate their system.

agreed, and I couldn't fathom it happening any other way. It's best for the promotion of the sport (ie kids can get down to the local ground to see Reds play every week) and development of the sport (better club competition). It also shows strong leadership from the top. Don't know whether its Link or Carmichael, but it's the right decision.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

That's fine Bruce, Uni seems to be a polarising topic but I haven't been involved in NSW so I'm neither here nor there. They certainly seem to churn out players who often end up playing higher levels then anyone else expected.

I know nothing about the Bendigo club other than they play in the Country league which often consists of 4hours + game day travel. Crazy if you ask me.

I think there is no issue with a player playing for a club elsewhere that they are strongly involved with but if for example Mortlock who has played little club is recent memory wanted to play club he SHOULD stay in Melbourne, though I wouldn't agree with forcing him to do so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
agreed, and I couldn't fathom it happening any other way. It's best for the promotion of the sport (ie kids can get down to the local ground to see Reds play every week) and development of the sport (better club competition). It also shows strong leadership from the top. Don't know whether its Link or Carmichael, but it's the right decision.

It may be better for the employer and their marketing, but is it where the players are going to get their best rugby development?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is it true Seilala Lam (Randwick) has been picked up by the Rebels?

That would be just terrific. It would have to be as an Academy deal.

I doubt he'd be a Super rugby 8 unless he came on as a late replacement when the game opens up, probably play some 6 but could physically play 7 (but he doesn't really play like a 7).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Its always good to have friends like this, Ted Baillieu, pending Premier of Victoria

548795-baillieu-herald-sun.jpg

There is a similar image on page 15 of today's The Australian. This is more than a coincidence, I hope? After all, if he doesn't want to offend AFL supporters, surely the easiest thing to do was to wear a non-sporting shirt? This way, he is definitely sending a message about the Rebels.

If this keeps up, I think we will move to Melbourne.:D

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Honestly, I just can't understand the issue. If you play for a state you should play for a club in that state. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems a non-issue.

I don't think it is that black and white.

You want your squad players to develop (and Deans wants the test fringe playing the hardest rugby possible as they are realised.)

You want the your players to play the hardest rugby they can. Even during the S14 you want your squaddies playing hard regular rugby

With all due respect, the Melbourne & Perth club scenes won't be testing these guys and may even inhibit their development.

To me, if they can afford it, I would be setting up relationships with either a Sydney Club (at least) or even better a NPC or a Currie Cup side.

Using the Melbourne Storm example, they have their feeder side in the Qld to get decent development.

With Queensland & Canberra club, there is a lessor argument, as there comps are stronger.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Using the Melbourne Storm example, they have their feeder side in the Qld to get decent development.

With Queensland & Canberra club, there is a lessor argument, as there comps are stronger.

Melbourne Storm appears to be a good example but it really isn't, grass routes league in Victoria is practically non-existent whereas grass routes union is quite strong numbers wise and it's standard is going up every year.

Taking into account Melbourne's population advantage over Perth and Canberra I wouldn't be surprised to see Vic Rugby equal to the ACT's in the next 5 years.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So for the next 5 years (at least, 30 is more likely) the players will lack hard rugby away from the squad training

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There is a similar image on page 15 of today's The Australian. This is more than a coincidence, I hope? After all, if he doesn't want to offend AFL supporters, surely the easiest thing to do was to wear a non-sporting shirt? This way, he is definitely sending a message about the Rebels.

If this keeps up, I think we will move to Melbourne.:D

Its actually a conspiracy. He is wearing a Rebels jumper because it is the closest one to a Geelong jumper he can get away with without pissing off the rest of the state.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So for the next 5 years (at least, 30 is more likely) the players will lack hard rugby away from the squad training

If you read previous opinions I stated that players shouldn't be forced to play anywhere.

Also, I think many people are using guesswork about the Victorian rugby scene without seeing it in action or meeting any of the top level players.

Its actually a conspiracy. He is wearing a Rebels jumper because it is the closest one to a Geelong jumper he can get away with without pissing off the rest of the state.

I'm actually pretty bemused by what people are presuming about the Rebels jumper thing (not you stoff, I can tell your comment is in jest).

He has a supporters jumper that was only available for a brief 1 year period AND he spend years of his youth playing rugby not only in school but also outside of it. Yet people are saying things like he was doing it not to be polarising or he probably likes AFL more. There isn't a rule that says you have to wear a sporting jumper on the day you get voted in nor is their a political precedent for not playing up the footy team you support too much (Gillard will publicly advertise her support for the Bulldogs on any occasion).

He clearly is a big union fan. No, this will NOT help the Rebels in any way shape or form but this doesn't change the fact.

T

TOCC

If you read previous opinions I stated that players shouldn't be forced to play anywhere.

Also, I think many people are using guesswork about the Victorian rugby scene without seeing it in action or meeting any of the top level players.

I'm actually pretty bemused by what people are presuming about the Rebels jumper thing (not you stoff, I can tell your comment is in jest).

He has a supporters jumper that was only available for a brief 1 year period AND he spend years of his youth playing rugby not only in school but also outside of it. Yet people are saying things like he was doing it not to be polarising or he probably likes AFL more. There isn't a rule that says you have to wear a sporting jumper on the day you get voted in nor is their a political precedent for not playing up the footy team you support too much (Gillard will publicly advertise her support for the Bulldogs on any occasion).

He clearly is a big union fan. No, this will NOT help the Rebels in any way shape or form but this doesn't change the fact.

Harden up sweetheart, i made my point perfectly clear when the issue was raised, and that point is that Rugby Union wont receive any favouritism as a result of the new premier been a rugby union supporter..i coudltn care less if you played in the same club as him.. I have also read equally as many articles that indicate he is also a passionate Geelong supporter as well.

If you have a problem with my opinion then how about directing your argument at me directly rather then these little snide comments.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't think it is that black and white.

You want your squad players to develop (and Deans wants the test fringe playing the hardest rugby possible as they are realised.)

You want the your players to play the hardest rugby they can. Even during the S14 you want your squaddies playing hard regular rugby

With all due respect, the Melbourne & Perth club scenes won't be testing these guys and may even inhibit their development.

To me, if they can afford it, I would be setting up relationships with either a Sydney Club (at least) or even better a NPC or a Currie Cup side.

Fair enough - I take your point re: Melbourne and Perth.

I suppose what got me thinking about it was all this talk that Weeks was unhappy he had to play for a Qld club which I struggled with a bit

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Look, I don't like it when emotions end up in internet discussions but for the sake of defending myself I'll respond.

You said:
i made my point perfectly clear when the issue was raised, and that point is that Rugby Union wont receive any favouritism as a result of the new premier been a rugby union supporter.
Which is a fair enough point that I have said I agree with but in your last relevant post you also said:
Very well, this however is not evidence that he is a rugby fan first and foremost.
Which is a different point entirely and was the one I was arguing against. So I think to say you made yourself perfectly clear is perhaps not 100% correct.

Also I think saying pretty passive aggressive things like "harden up sweetheart" really does make you the "snide" one and I don't think anything I said could be considered maliciously or derogatory.

Anyway, this is a stupid discussion and I wouldn't be continuing it unless I felt personally attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.