• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

El Gamba

The tyranny of distance does not help but probably more the political divisions within Australian rugby. The NZ model with ITM divisions leading to S15 is enviable. Below the S15 teams, Australia has an incredibly disjointed approach to Club rugby from a national perspective.

D

Doc

When Foley was the Aussie scrum coach the S14 sides had a uniform scrum doctrine. The only hold out was Bell at the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
MELBOURNE Rebels' build-up to a tantalising Super 15 debut clash with the New South Wales Waratahs will follow a distinctly international path.

The Rebels will play four trial matches, including three games against Tonga and Fiji, before squaring off against Canterbury Crusaders at AAMI Park on February 5.

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen said Tonga, Fiji and the all-conquering Crusaders - from New Zealand's South Island - had been chosen because of the varying challenges each squad poses.

That's a tough few trials. Wow, and two regional games. Great stuff by the Rebels. Shall be interested to see how well they are supported.

The Rebels will face Tonga twice - in Melbourne on January 15 and again on January 21 at a regional Victorian venue.

The Super 15 tyros will then play Fiji in country Victoria before testing themselves against the Crusaders in Melbourne.

"All of those trials are going to be good, especially those against Tonga and Fiji because those teams are a bit unstructured moving in, so it's going to be a bit of a challenge for us," Macqueen said.

"And then we come up against a very good team in Canterbury. We're pretty happy about that. We'll have a fair idea of where we stand before we hit New South Wales."

The Rebels will make their official competition debut against the Waratahs at AAMI Park on February 18.

The Rebels are in the middle of an altitude training camp at Falls Creek, where Macqueen has been running the rule over a 30-man squad.

"The idea is to get our communication going," he said. "It's still early days as a team. I think we've got just under 100 days before we have our first competition game.

"The players all get along well as a team. They're all pretty happy. If anything it's been easier getting them all together because they've all taken a risk in coming here.

"They've all moved their families to Melbourne, so they've become very close."

Macqueen said the club captaincy - still likely to be handed to former Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock, who has returned to training after back surgery - would be formalised after the first couple of trial matches.

"We'll be moving that (captaincy) around a bit during the trials," Macqueen said.

"I think, because we have so many leaders within the group, it's not going to be quite as big an issue as it may be at other clubs."

Former Australian coach Macqueen predicted several Rebels eventually would push for Wallabies selection.

"A lot of players here, I think, are going to be putting their hands up at the end," Macqueen said.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great idea to expand in to country Victoria. Geelong is a big city and it can't even support a premier grade Victorian club even though it has a Uni.

I'm sure this will be rectified in the near future.

T

Travi34

my "inside" info says olympic park and ballarat (north ballarat actually...) are 2 of the locations... dunno about the other regional local as yet...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the answer to who plays 13 for the Rebels may come in the fact that Cooper Vuna is listed as a centre on their web site.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
the answer to who plays 13 for the Rebels may come in the fact that Cooper Vuna is listed as a centre on their web site.

I thought they had too many outside backs so this is certainly interesting.

However, since Macqueen is certainly not a 2nd 5/8 type guy it could even mean 12.

Or, alternatively, it could be Vuna's long term position (the short term one being the wing).

C

centreman

I hope Fiji provide better opposition than they did to the Tahs last season in the trial game at Orange. The squad they sent over was no better than a second grade club side.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope Fiji provide better opposition than they did to the Tahs last season in the trial game at Orange. The squad they sent over was no better than a second grade club side.

That's because they picked the best Fijian locals, divided them into two squads and played one against the Tahs and one against the Highlanders.

Considering the population of Fiji and the fact that their better players play in either NZ or Europe it was a huge ask.

R

Red Rooster

Three soft trials will mean they go into the season with positive spin rather than 0-4 against Super sides - I hear the Reds offered to play them and they declined

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Three soft trials will mean they go into the season with positive spin rather than 0-4 against Super sides - I hear the Reds offered to play them and they declined

Maybe it was a case of the Islander teams and the Saders being willing to come play on Melbourne's home soil so they can drum up as much possible attention before the season proper.

T

TOCC

Andrew Johns will be helping out the Rebels in a coaching role never year, alongside the other jobs he has in the NRL

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Talk is cheap at this time of the year but the comments on their work ethic at training can't be discounted since they came from Macqueen, a non-bullshitter.

One thing you can tell about good trainers is that, whatever their skills are, they tend to be 80 minute players.

I thought that Luke Rooney was outstanding in the Top14 last season for Toulon though he didn't stand out in the few ITM games I saw him play in. With a big pre-season I reckon he'll get back to his form in France.

I don't watch a lot of league if the Dragons aren't playing but I watched Vuna closely once I knew he was going to the Rebels. He looked good enough to say that if Chambers could convert his league skills to union then he could also.

I know Saffy well from league and earlier in the thread pegged him to be a Richard Brown type of backrower in union. He was an impact player from the bench mostly for the Dragons and so had less time on the park than the average starting forward. League has shorter phases than union does and short bursts of power are more appropriate, whereas a series of active participations are the essence of the union code.

It will be interesting therefore if the description of his being a hammer comes through when he has a different coloured jersey with a V on it and is playing in the sport he played at Joeys and whilst at the Tahs academy.

I don't think he'll be a starting player because he has been out of the game for a long time - but you never know. One thing I'm more sure about is that his strength and conditioning will not be found wanting.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lee, I love your long posts because they lend them selves to analysis and discussion and here is mine.

Talk is cheap at this time of the year but the comments on their work ethic at training can't be discounted since they came from Macqueen, a non-bullshitter.

I agree, I know Frier and Macqueen would obviously want to generate a positive image of their young province but with so many ways to do it two particularly influential rugger folk wouldn't need to lie.

One thing you can tell about good trainers is that, whatever their skills are, they tend to be 80 minute players.

I thought that Luke Rooney was outstanding in the Top14 last season for Toulon though he didn't stand out in the few ITM games I saw him play in. With a big pre-season I reckon he'll get back to his form in France.

I think if the Rebels do play crash ball rugby (which has been the talk) it will suit Rooney's play style much more then H.Bay's did as he was a bit quick to contact for the way they wanted to play. If we can be taught to enter the line well and fine good contact with a high chance of ball retention he will serve us well.

I don't watch a lot of league if the Dragons aren't playing but I watched Vuna closely once I knew he was going to the Rebels. He looked good enough to say that if Chambers could convert his league skills to union then he could also.

Agree. Don't know if I like this talk of him playing in the centers though.

I know Saffy well from league and earlier in the thread pegged him to be a Richard Brown type of backrower in union. He was an impact player from the bench mostly for the Dragons and so had less time on the park than the average starting forward. League has shorter phases than union does and short bursts of power are more appropriate, whereas a series of active participations are the essence of the union code.

It will be interesting therefore if the description of his being a hammer comes through when he has a different coloured jersey with a V on it and is playing in the sport he played at Joeys and whilst at the Tahs academy.

I don't think he'll be a starting player because he has been out of the game for a long time - but you never know. One thing I'm more sure about is that his strength and conditioning will not be found wanting.

I think he ruck knowledge will be challenged for the first few games, I think he will be eased in unless he has some particularly promising preseason games. His short pass game is what will be important as a crash ball forward who will be used as a link player at times, I have no problem if his medium to long passing isn't terrific.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
Anyone know if the Rebels had a function on last night? I was walking past the Novotel and had a hard time not noticing a largish group of ladies walking out of there all dressed up in cocktail dresses, then eventually noticed the blokes accompanying them were all pretty sizable lads. I was in a bit of a rush but did notice that one of them was Adam Byrnes, but didn't have time to stop and work out if the others were Rebel players or not.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone know if the Rebels had a function on last night? I was walking past the Novotel and had a hard time not noticing a largish group of ladies walking out of there all dressed up in cocktail dresses, then eventually noticed the blokes accompanying them were all pretty sizable lads. I was in a bit of a rush but did notice that one of them was Adam Byrnes, but didn't have time to stop and work out if the others were Rebel players or not.

Was probs the Weary Dunlop lunch inwhich they were apparently set to announce the schools and clubs they will align themselves with.

Hope my old school cops a good one, Adam Frier would be nice.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
based on the queries by a few (including myself)

Gareth Delve is a quarter hong kong chinese

I always thought he looked a little Asian. I've never been good at picking which type of Asian though.

Anybody privy to the Rebels club/school/charity that was meant to be announced yesterday at the Weary Dunlop event?

Status
Not open for further replies.