• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So on the general topic of props, does anyone genuinely know how Rodzilla went in France?

Others have seen more of him, I saw him two or three times on Fox, ESPN I think. In summary, bloody awful. In detail, his scrummaging seemed just OK at best but on field he jogged from ruck to ruck or set piece to set piece. I was appalled when I heard the Rebels had signed him, I have enormous respect for McQueen as a coach and selector. My only hope is that he flogs him through the preseason and strips about 25kg off him. Then he's at least a chance to be able to keep up with the pace of Super rugby. He certainly was not fit when I saw him playing in France.

Not a good thing to say, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

T

TOCC

Rodney Blake has so much raw potential, he does however need strict control over his diet and weight, 130kg means fuck all if 40kg of that is fat..

Maqueen should look at Rozilla as a 6 moth project rather then trying to have him ready for the start of the season, he wont be ready by Feb, maybe closer to May we will see him make some appearances. But jeez if they were able to effectively condition Blake, and improve his scrummaging technique(which was never terrible) then he could become a very handy asset.

Maybe put up a photo at all the McDonalds in Melbourne, with a sign saying 'don't serve this man'

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Blake has been a 6 month project his whole life, he is/was a massive school kid who never realised that everyone grew up around him. He lacks technique, a work ethic and the discipline to succeed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Blake has been a 6 month project his whole life, he is/was a massive school kid who never realised that everyone grew up around him. He lacks technique, a work ethic and the discipline to succeed.

I think that's harsh. He was very bloody good under Jeff Miller at the Reds. Only a season perhaps (won our player of the year award) and was good enough to at least be selected for the Wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think that's harsh. He was very bloody good under Jeff Miller at the Reds. Only a season perhaps (won our player of the year award) and was good enough to at least be selected for the Wallabies.

Maybe, I just get incredibly frustrated seeing units of great potential waste their opportunities in life.

He has the stuff to do OK, maybe more than OK, but like many he seems to lacks the application. You see it a lot growing up, the kid with a talent who ignores the work, while the other guy with less talent gets there because he puts the work in. (like Palmer who while a squad member at the Tahs continually was winning some of the strongman awards)

He had one good season, but even then he was overweight and had little work ethic. He had the "Dunning factor" to me, that big guy the stands loved to see and cheer on (because he looks like a lot of us IMHO).

I only wish he had the work ethic to try to improve

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Having seen Rodney since he was in under 14s at Wests Juniors I have to agree, unfortunately. It'd be great to see him fit and realise his potential.

R

Red Rooster

Millers reign was 6 years ago - on the evidence it has been down hill so it would be a significant change in direction for him to be dominant again, especially with the game becoming more attack orientated

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
So on the general topic of props, does anyone genuinely know how Rodzilla went in France?

He was average in its first season and not on the starting team for its second. Bayonne was struggling to be on the top unlike this season. He had troubles in the scrum and this is not really well seen in France when you're a prop.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
Having seen Rodney since he was in under 14s at Wests Juniors I have to agree, unfortunately. It'd be great to see him fit and realise his potential.

He isn't in the team as a prop. Rod MacQueen is just shit scared of Rodan..

[video=youtube;vGm0xJVqfKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGm0xJVqfKk&feature=related[/video]

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Millers reign was 6 years ago - on the evidence it has been down hill so it would be a significant change in direction for him to be dominant again, especially with the game becoming more attack orientated

I can't comment on Rodney as I haven't seen him play for years, but based on the opinions of some of our members his manager must be a bloody good salesman.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yeah, I was about to discuss that.

Sounds like he is doing well because he was signaled out in a recent Adam Frier article as working particularly hard as well.

He is a big man whose fitness and the fact it extremely negatively effected his ruck attendance was always the big issue with me, if he fixes that and holds a steady scrum or better I see no reason why he can't be a decent starting XV Super player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I liked this last bit:

''It's interesting because watching footage of him during the course of this year of his scrummaging he was getting dominated by guys 25 kilos lighter than him because of a few minor technical issues. So if we combine [those elements] we will have a very good prop,'' Bakewell said.

Proactive coaching. Let's hope they get the best out of him. He was always one of my favourite players.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
anyone noticed that the rebels could do a pretty good impression of the cast of "lord of the rings"?

scaled.php

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Bakewell came accross very well on ruggamatrix

Here is another piece on scrummaging

A new look at pack mentality
Stathi Paxinos
November 16, 2010

AUSTRALIAN rugby must change its narrow-minded view and begin to think creatively to have any hope of overcoming its scrummaging woes, Melbourne Rebels forwards coach Mark Bakewell said yesterday.

The Wallabies' scrum has often been exposed by such powerhouses as New Zealand, South Africa and England and is held up as a pivotal reason why the national side has failed to consistently match it with the better teams in recent years. While Australia's fortunes were seen to be on the rise in recent months, its scrum was again exposed by Wales before the Wallabies' bubble-bursting loss to England at the weekend.

Bakewell, who has spent the past decade coaching overseas, said Australia had to its detriment underplayed the importance of scrums and set pieces in favour of attractive, free-flowing football. When asked if he found such an attitude difficult to accept, Bakewell said that ''it's funny it is now; when I left 10 years ago it wasn't''.

''One of the big things is that I've been lucky to have coached in Australia, Japan and particularly England and France. When you experience other cultures you look outside your own boundaries,'' he said. ''Australia is stuck in the south of the world and we are very alienated in a lot of ways and we do think one specific way and we don't tend to think outside the square and I didn't realise that until I went overseas and realised that, in fact, we're pretty narrow in our thinking.

''What you do is you tend to avoid your weaknesses … I think with Australia we think we can manage without having a great scrum, that we can still win games. That's not the right mentality - you've got to be strong in every facet of the game.''

Bakewell, who was with the Rebels at the Super team's training camp at Falls Creek, said Australia ''culturally [did not] attribute enough time towards scrummaging''.

''We don't look at it as important as some of the other nations [do],'' Bakewell said. ''In Australia we're very much a culture of playing with width and throwing the ball around and we've got very much that sort of mentality where we have a crack at it and we want to all play with the ball in hand and I think that's because from the age of four or five we're taught to get out there and play touch rugby with our mates and throw the ball around.'' He said that Australia did not have the unified approach to scrummaging seen in New Zealand, where Mike Cron oversaw a national approach from the All Blacks to the provincial teams and junior squads.

''There's not a lot of pulling for a common goal and I think that has been evident in Australia for a long time,'' he said. ''Our focus on scrummaging isn't helped by the fact that we all don't work together for a common purpose, so for me it is about creating a level of importance for the scrum here which is absolutely critical.''

Otherwise, he said, situations occur such as the rapid rise and fall of Rebels recruit Rodney Blake. The powerhouse prop was a cult hero in Queensland and hailed as the next big thing for the Wallabies but his star quickly fell as technical deficiencies were exposed in his scrummaging. He spent the past two seasons in France before receiving a chance to resurrect his career with the Rebels.

''The problem [with Blake] was that Australia at that time, and historically, were crying out for good props,'' Bakewell said. ''What we've got to do is be more consistent as coaches in developing the guys we've got so we're not relying on one bloke every 10 years to come [along].''

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think you could say that about a lot of stuff in Aussie rugby. Where the NZ S14 team's training programs are heavily dictated by the NZRU, we tend to have a more laissez faire approach to managing our teams. I think that has its pros and cons, and we could certainly benefit from some cohesion in certain areas. Scrummaging and goalkicking are two that spring to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.