• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

didn't the help setup some bankwest sponsored talent development program?

Bankwest were a VRU partner, they wont be involving themselves with the Rebels now that the main sponsor(dabodirect) is another financial organization.....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's here.

Morty and Cipriani at the Melbourne Cup:

melbourne_rebels-200x0.jpg

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think for the first season if there are some serious injuries we will get some hired guns in like the Force did with Hill.

I think from 2011 or 2012 onwards they will call on the best Victorian locals, probably not out of preference though.

T

TOCC

Give it till 2015 before any Victorian locals come even close to Super Rugby, theere are no way any of the local players are even close to the standard required, it will take years of development programs to reach that goal.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Not exactly to the point, but I fear that Melbourne will have no better success at getting locals into contracted spots than the modest record of the Force in 6 seasons of Super14 rugby. They will get many locals into their academies but it won't signify a lot until we get an ARC happening again with Melbourne involved.

In that case the best locals who are in pro academies will have a better chance of improving their rugby to the point where their academy contracts can be converted into rookie Super contracts.

Another alternative is to send promising players to play club rugby in Sydney (being closer to home for the younger guys than Brisbane) including Colts rugby.

The best alternative would be to grow the game in Victoria which would in turn lift the standard of their club rugby. But IIRR, at the time of the submissions for the 4th Super team it was mentioned that Perth had the 3rd largest rugby population in Oz behind only Sydney and Brisbane, and more than in Canberra.

Therefore the reality may be that Victorians will have no better success than the Western Australians have had in promoting local players through improving their competition.

I said it wasn't to the point.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Get the franchice players playing in the local club comp and not returning to Brisbane and Sydney comps. Ie Force players play WA Club rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Get the franchice players playing in the local club comp and not returning to Brisbane and Sydney comps. Ie Force players play WA Club rugby.

That will help the local club to the detriment of the players who will end up playing a load of lesser quality rugby.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think it is going to be the old pathway of any talented players either heading north to play for their last years of school or once they finish school, for a long time yet. The only real difference with the Rebels is at least now they can come home to play if they do achieve the standard required.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
FP I see your point and it crossed my mind also but for things to improve but we need to take a step back to take a couple forward.

T

TOCC

LG, I was checking the stats a while ago, the VRU will have similar if not slightly more rugby players in the state in comparison to RugbyWA when the Force joined the comp..

So you are right, statistically speaking, the Rebels should expect similar success to the Force, I suppose the slight difference might be that the Rebels might be able to pinch a few from the Melbourne Storm academy setup which is predominantly Victorian locals, as well as a slightly larger Polynesian population in Melbourne.

W

WB3

On a completely unrelated note, how come the Rebels are the only Australian Super franchise to not be named after their state, but rather a city?

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On a completely unrelated note, how come the Rebels are the only Australian Super franchise to not be named after their state, but rather a city?

Mainly because the brand was already partly established from the old ARC team and it made sense to run with something with some market presence, no matter how small.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP I see your point and it crossed my mind also but for things to improve but we need to take a step back to take a couple forward.

But that is to the detriment of the players involved, I know development is needed in the local comp, but in the short term the best younglings should be put into the best programs so they can develop and promote rugby by being the best they can be.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
What would greatly assist both the Rebels and Force would be the establishment of a proper Academy based competition. Its interesting reading on another forum of NRL teams pinching a number of the current crop of NZ Schoolboys. Perhaps a proposal to establish a Academy League below Super Rugby involving setups from the 10 Australasian franchises would help both sides of the Tasman not only in retaining talent but competing with NRL clubs for it.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
LG, I was checking the stats a while ago, the VRU will have similar if not slightly more rugby players in the state in comparison to RugbyWA when the Force joined the comp..

So you are right, statistically speaking, the Rebels should expect similar success to the Force, I suppose the slight difference might be that the Rebels might be able to pinch a few from the Melbourne Storm academy setup which is predominantly Victorian locals, as well as a slightly larger Polynesian population in Melbourne.

Don't forget they have already got some links to Sydney Uni; it wouldn't at all be a bad thing that Uni became a sort of de facto second academy team for the Rebels.

P

Piggy's

Rebels Should have a look at a Prop from West harbour, Fifita I think his name is!.. up and comming Prop from club rugby.. I can see him playing and getting signed overseas if one of these clubs dont push for his signature!...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What would greatly assist both the Rebels and Force would be the establishment of a proper Academy based competition. Its interesting reading on another forum of NRL teams pinching a number of the current crop of NZ Schoolboys. Perhaps a proposal to establish a Academy League below Super Rugby involving setups from the 10 Australasian franchises would help both sides of the Tasman not only in retaining talent but competing with NRL clubs for it.

You won't keep all your talent, all you can do is do the best with who you sign.

The Rebels could mirror Storm and run their development program out of south Queensland or Sydney or in NZ or SA and not Melbourne to get a better development program in place where they get the best development.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think you have to realise grass routes league in Melbourne in practically non-existent.

Grass routes union is strong and going up and up. The standard may be to low to be more than a development stepping stone but most of the people saying this are yet to see a game played by the Victorian local clubs.

Anyway, there already are Victorians playing grade in NSW and Qld that could may end up Super standard and that's not counting the prospects that disappear at 15 or 16.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I think for this to work, at least on our side of the ditch, it may need to be tied in formally somehow with the local universities in the area, and operate as an under 20 style comp. It is hard to envision guys relocating too far to take what is essentially at best a semi-professional contract. If an education, and potentially lodging in the residential colleges, could be offered alongside it may become quite an attractive option. This would mean the players don't have to put their life completely on hold while they chase their rugby dreams. Downside of course is that it means it would be difficult for the guys in Vic and WA to move to the stronger comps outside of the academy season. It would most likely be infeasable to make this a 20 week comp (Home and Away, semis and finals), and the alternative 10 or 11 week comp wouldn't justify the guys moving away. Having said that, as a 20 week comp with the best young players facing off before they move into the Super rugby team could be beneficial. In reality it is all probably pie in the sky stuff, but would be good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.