• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why would they want a couple of senior guys turning up spouting how great the rebels are at Brumbies training

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There's a report in today's Canberra Times http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/rebels-told-to-pay-their-wages/1978823.aspx that if the Rebels don't start paying Stirling Mortlock and Julian Huxley (amongst other players) from November 1, then the Brumbies will seek that they return to Canberra for pre-season training. The basis for that is their contract with the Brumbies expires on December 31 so a release fee must be paid in order for them to train in Melbourne.

That would be so ridiculous, the Brumbies were the new kid on the block once and it isn't like their team has been built around either Mortlock or Huxley in years of late.

Cyril Towers (30)
There's a report in today's Canberra Times http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/rebels-told-to-pay-their-wages/1978823.aspx that if the Rebels don't start paying Stirling Mortlock and Julian Huxley (amongst other players) from November 1, then the Brumbies will seek that they return to Canberra for pre-season training. The basis for that is their contract with the Brumbies expires on December 31 so a release fee must be paid in order for them to train in Melbourne.

I suspect they are just plain wrong. All the Super contracts go from Nov1 to Oct 31. No other time period would make sense as that is when pre season training officially starts for the coming season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rebels told to pay their wages
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
26 Oct, 2010 07:57 AM
The ACT Brumbies will request Stirling Mortlock and Julian Huxley return to Canberra for pre-season training if the Melbourne Rebels refuse to pay their release fee.
In a heated battle between the new Super Rugby rivals, the Brumbies have threatened to ban Mortlock and Huxley from pre-season training in Melbourne unless the Rebels take-up the duo's contracts from November 1. Both are still contracted to the Brumbies until December 31.

In the past they would have been allowed to join a rival Australian club with the Brumbies still paying their wages until the new year.

But it's not just the Brumbies taking a hard stance. The chief executives of all Australian teams decided this year the new contract change-over date would be November 1.

Under the old system, the Rebels would have had their full roster in pre-season training while only having to pay players who did not come from Australian Super Rugby teams.

Australian franchises have stuck by the system in the past because there was a view player recruitment and losses would level out between teams over a number of years.

But because the Rebels have no players leaving them to join Australian teams, they are required to start paying from next week.

The Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds and Western Force will start the new contract period next year because of their existing agreement.

It's a massive blow for the Rod Macqueen-led Rebels, who start pre-season training in the coming weeks and could be left with only a handful of players for training until January.

Seems fair to me... particularly as it's Huxley and Mortlock...

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Brumbies are just scared of how good we will be in our first season. :fishing Seems to me like if this is true it will be the beginning of the end of the agreement. Due to the number of internationals on the Rebels roster at the moment, they are going to likely be net accumulators of talent from the other Super Rugby franchises for the next few years. Did this happen with the Force as well?

In other news, Warren Gatland and Phil Vickery on Cipriani:

Gatland rues ill-informed Cipriani

Author: Josh Antmann
Posted on:22 October 2010 - 11:35
Category:Rugby Union

Wales head coach Warren Gatland believes Danny Cipriani’s unfulfilled talent and underwhelming career to date, is perhaps a result of too many people close to the player giving him the wrong advice.

Gatland, who recently signed a four year contract extension with the WRU, believes the 22-year-old has had “a bit of an easy ride”, when perhaps the youngster’s fledgling career would have been better served toughing “it out a bit”.

Despite initially being tipped as the future of English rugby, the Roehampton born fly-half has endured a torrid few years in the game with injury and loss of form.

Cipriani recently flew out to join his new Melbourne Rebels’ teammates, but with the 2011 World Cup less than a year away, Cipriani has little time to impress and Gatland suggests a different approach would have helped a player with undoubted talent.

Speaking at the Tourism New Zealand ‘One year to go to the rugby World Cup’ event, Gatland, who signed Cipriani for Wasps when he was a schoolboy, said: “I would have taken a different approach with Danny because he’s one of the most talented players I’ve seen.

“I think too many people tried to take him under their wing and try to give him advice, pat him on the back and say they’d look after him.

“I think what needed to happen with Danny Cipriani was front him up at training, put him on the pitch and try to break him. Just to see if he could handle the pressure.

“Instead he’s taken the step to walk away from it. I think he’s had a bit of an easy ride to an extent, I think he needed to tough it out a bit.”

Talking at the same event was England hooker Phil Vickery, a former teammate of the mercurial youngster at Adams Park, who suggested Cipriani’s decision to move abroad might make him a better player and perhaps pertinently a more rounded individual.

“As an old man seeing a young man with more talent then I could have ever of dreamt of, then of course I’d want to see him play again for England. Because he’s the kind of player that can do things which some guys can’t, he’s just so gifted.” The former England captain said.

“Danny for whatever reason has moved on and I personally think he’s made the right decision and gone away and hopefully he’ll come back a much better player and more importantly a much better person.

“I don’t doubt his talents but I just hope he comes back in the right frame of mind and plays for England again one day.”
from http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Rugby_Union/45643/Gatland_rues_ill-informed_Cipriani__.aspx

How Cipriani fits in and develops with the Rebels is going to be an interesting part of this year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope that they only start him if he earns it rather then just starting him to appease his ego and rationalise their expenditure.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The press has done him no favours but there is the whiff of the petulant soccer galactico about him. I hope that he proves the doubters wrong and becomes a solid rugby citizen.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think being in Melbourne can only help. If his profile down here was as big as any of the Storm's Big 4, it would still only mean that the odd fan may recognise him as he walked down the street. Whilst he would have taken a back seat to the soccer boys back in London to some degree, it will be nothing compared to being in a city with 9 AFL clubs, 2 soccer teams, a league team, a netball team, a cricket team and a basketball team that are all generating more column inches than the Rebels have so far. If he can accept he is not going to be a superstar down here and fit into the team ethos, he could be anything.

T

TOCC

Brumbies are just scared of how good we will be in our first season. :fishing Seems to me like if this is true it will be the beginning of the end of the agreement. Due to the number of internationals on the Rebels roster at the moment, they are going to likely be net accumulators of talent from the other Super Rugby franchises for the next few years. Did this happen with the Force as well?

In other news, Warren Gatland and Phil Vickery on Cipriani:

from http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Rugby_Union/45643/Gatland_rues_ill-informed_Cipriani__.aspx

How Cipriani fits in and develops with the Rebels is going to be an interesting part of this year.

Large number of international?.... I'm going to put it to you that the QLD Reds will have around 15 capped Wallabies by the end of the EOYT, I'm sure the brumbies and waratahs have a smiler number as well....

That article is interesting though, if we compare QC (Quade Cooper) and Cipriani, it was during the Eddie Jones era for the Reds that Eddie blasted Quade so severly he was left sobbing in the corner(allegedly) after one of the matches, the chiefs I believe. Maybe Cipriani needed a little dose of this treatment a few years back.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels do have many capped players but I doubt we will see many of them on the field at once.

If the Rebels do have a rotation policy like so many of the super coaches are touting I'd hate to be the guy managing the Rebel one, with all the niggles you will have about 5 or 6 comings and going every week.

T

tranquility

could someone post some footage of Cipriani playing? i have honestly never seen the bloke even throw a pass.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He's got to be on UTube somewhere.

If you have a recording of the England v Oz at HQ a couple of years ago, he's in that and you may have forgotten. He played well against us.

T

tranquility

bit of a joke when compared to QC (Quade Cooper)'s highlight real isn't it? however he does look as though he can throw a beautiful short ball, which is a genuine art and he looks quite unpredictable on his feet. Good base materials for a creative 10. Should be good to see him develop.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
How are Rebels players being drafted into Melb clubs? Will they stick around after S15 or scatter back to Sydney like the Force lets them?
Any change to the local comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.