• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It would be nice if they remained I. The Melbourne comp, but realistically for the development of the players, they would be better off playing in the Shute Shield, however we need to remember with the extended season, there won't be as much chance for the players to turn out in the local comp anyway

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Agreed but evetually this needs to change or create another ARS, ARU. Finals crowds in Sydney showed people didnt gave a damn that S14 players were there. With support, Melb could beat Sydney for a GF numbers. Im sure Rod has a plan.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
With the timing of the Melb comp ends they could play the last few rounds of that comp THEN the last few of the Syd comp.

Realistically, if it's a case of clocking up minutes (a player returning from injury) or linking with the community (an experienced player) then you should play them in the local comp. If they were a developing youngin like Luke Jones you'd want them in Sydney.

The Victorian comp can realistically become equal to or slightly better then the Canberra comp, the work just needs to be put in.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think it will also be interesting to see whether their international recruits play Oz club rugby eg Cipriani, Delve & all the Kiwis.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it will also be interesting to see whether their international recruits play Oz club rugby eg Cipriani, Delve & all the Kiwis.

Traditionally we've seen the Kiwis playing in Aussie go and play NPC, as they can and should.

The NH players are a new situation, so it will be interesting.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I have a feeling Cipriani won't, from berricks comments about forgetting to bring a towel to Uni's matches compared to super matches. Im pretty sure Cips wouldnt want that

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It would be interesting to see how it pans out with Cipriani and Delve. I believe part of the five star pledge that MacQueen has implemented forces the players to have a link with a club, so they will be connected with a club, even if they aren't playing for them.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In the Herald Sun today there was a small piece on Danny Cipriani and his new nickname amongst the team. They report that he has been knocked back at the door of a few clubs and after trying the whole "don't you know who I am" routine has apparently been heard to say "just google me" to the bouncers. The new nickname - Google.

T

TOCC

allegedly a Super Rugby franchise has expressed interest in signing Greg Inglis..... naturally i think the Rebels spring to mind,i suppose however it could also be the Reds, Inglis did want to return to Brisbane to be with his wife.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
allegedly a Super Rugby franchise has expressed interest in signing Greg Inglis..... naturally i think the Rebels spring to mind,i suppose however it could also be the Reds, Inglis did want to return to Brisbane to be with his wife.

That would be dumb, let the Frenchies develop him and in 2-3 years time when we have some dollars because the oldies are retiring he'll be looking promising.

T

TOCC

im not debating whether it is a good idea or a bad one, i am merely pointing out that Greg Inglis has allegedly been approached by a Super Rugby franchise

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
im not debating whether it is a good idea or a bad one, i am merely pointing out that Greg Inglis has allegedly been approached by a Super Rugby franchise

I'm not attacking you, just referencing your info to make my opinion make sense.

Can I ask where you heard this? Because I haven't heard a bar of it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Will meet JP du Plessis dad on friday. He is going to do a demonstration on skills development equipment at our KleinGims sportsfields.
KleinGim News
SKILLS TOERUSTING DEMONSTRASIES: BAIE BELANGRIK!
Indien jy belangstel om jou vaardighede te verbeter, kom na Chevé op Vrydag, 12 November. Dit sal plaasvind
vanaf 14:15 tot 17:00.
Charl du Plessis, wat betrokke is by die Goue Leeus Rugbyunie sowel as Maties, sal ’n gratis demonstrasie
aanbied in hokkie, rugby, netbal en krieket om toerusting bekend te stel wat gebruik word om vaardighede in sport te verbeter. Daar sal na die volgende komponente gekyk word: spoed, reaksietyd, eksplosiewe krag, spier uithouvermoë, kragwerk en konsentrasievermoë.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Will Melbourne Rebels release its Academy Players...be interesting to see who they have picked up as back up etc

Agreed, I haven't heard much about this.

I presume the Victorian Center of Excellence and the Axemen will basically be the amateurs. They've named a pretty big squad (32) so it's possible some of those are considered "extended squad" members and not privy to the same dollars.

This is all speculation though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
This list of players will be scarcely less interesting than the main squad.

There will many who won't join the professional academy from other states because it will cost them money, and the amateurs don''t really count, but there may be a few that join the pros and get on the radar for when the contracted foreign players leave. That's the interesting part.

T

TOCC

This list of players will be scarcely less interesting than the main squad.

There will many who won't join the professional academy from other states because it will cost them money, and the amateurs don''t really count, but there may be a few that join the pros and get on the radar for when the contracted foreign players leave. That's the interesting part.
I dunno LG, initially it might be a bit lacklustre, but surely Maqueen and the Rebels management recognize this and put a lot of resources behind it to develop some future talent, maybe next year we will see a bit more activity from them in the schoolboy/colts market place..

Status
Not open for further replies.