• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

en_force_er said:
waratahjesus said:
how long are they allowed the overseas players for lee?

Lee would know better than me but I think it decreases for 2 a year until it is 2 like everyone else.

that sounds familiar.
they should really be going after argentine and islanders who wont be ruled out of the RWC by playing overseas

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

This is all starting to worry me. Being a Melburnian, I know that to penetrate the sporting market, that success is important. Victory had huge latent support coming in, and success has seen them become the only viable team in the A League. Storm spent the cash and attracted the stars and got following from their premiership in their second year. They have a decent following again now due to four years of grand final appearances, but if that drops off they will be yesterday's news. Don't know, but I am pretty sure the NRL is propping them up still. I liken them and the Rebels to the Sydney Swans in the AFL - without success the majority of people don't care. The Rebels are in a better place than the Storm because there is the grass roots level of Rugby in (mainly Private, but a couple of State) schools and clubs.

We need known players and some quick success or the private ownership model is going to be hard to sustain. I'll admit that the majority of Victorians (who don't follow Rugby) haven't been sitting around expecting a deluge of signings on 15/3, but big names, or any names, start to build publicity. One signing of a player from the NH with no profile down here (and no help from his GF's english celebrity) makes marketing very hard. We really need some names on board now.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

stoff said:
This is all starting to worry me. Being a Melburnian, I know that to penetrate the sporting market, that success is important. Victory had huge latent support coming in, and success has seen them become the only viable team in the A League. Storm spent the cash and attracted the stars and got following from their premiership in their second year. They have a decent following again now due to four years of grand final appearances, but if that drops off they will be yesterday's news. Don't know, but I am pretty sure the NRL is propping them up still. I liken them and the Rebels to the Sydney Swans in the AFL - without success the majority of people don't care. The Rebels are in a better place than the Storm because there is the grass roots level of Rugby in (mainly Private, but a couple of State) schools and clubs.

We need known players and some quick success or the private ownership model is going to be hard to sustain. I'll admit that the majority of Victorians (who don't follow Rugby) haven't been sitting around expecting a deluge of signings on 15/3, but big names, or any names, start to build publicity. One signing of a player from the NH with no profile down here (and no help from his GF's english celebrity) makes marketing very hard. We really need some names on board now.

I wouldn't worry. You'll go, I'll go, I'll bring some mates.. it'll be fine.

I might even bring my boots... just in case they're short of numbers.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

stoff said:
This is all starting to worry me.

Stop worrying.

There are no parallels between the Rebels and the Storm or Sydney Swans. The supporter market being pursued is of totally different character.

The supply side of the rugby player market is made up of far more than the rejects of other Australian S15 teams.

On the demand side, Rod Macqueen. We (except myself) will get a real surprise when Macqueen has filled his roster. He will have cast his net wide and will have players of whom many of us will have read or heard little or nothing. Stars will become superstars, unknowns will become stars, journeymen will become Wallabies, kids will become men.

If you are looking for precedents on anything, refer to Macqueen's management of the start-up of the Brumbies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

wow, talk about an anticlimax, where is the rush of players this week? maybe something tommorrow?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

waratahjesus said:
how long are they allowed the overseas players for lee?

Existing teams can keep their marquee players (international players who would never be eligible for Oz) for 2 years though there is nothing stopping his going to a second team. They can keep their developing foreign player as long as they like.

Melbourne was given dispensation to hire an additional 8 foreign players. They can mix and match international foreign players with developing foreign players with the proviso that by 2015 Melbourne will have the same number of overseas players as the other four Australian teams.

I assume that if additional foreign players are used by Melbourne and they are not eligible for Oz, then they will be restricted to 2 years also, but it didn't get a mention.

I can see that folks may have some questions about this as I have some myself, but that's all I know.

S

Spook

stoff said:
This is all starting to worry me. Being a Melburnian

Yes, that is a worry my mexican friend ;)

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...rovince-as-a-warmup-for-super-15-1921097.html

Ruck and Maul: Cipriani set to join Kiwi province as a warm-up for Super 15

By Hugh Godwin

Sunday, 14 March 2010

Danny Cipriani is ready to kick off his career Down Under by playing for a province in New Zealand. The Wasps fly-half might otherwise be left with an eight-month lag in competitive rugby between the end of the English season in May and the kick-off of the Super 15 with his new team, Melbourne Rebels, early next year. "Danny's a real important signing for us and he's been sensational in our dealings with him," the Rebels' chief executive, Brian Waldron, told Ruck and Maul. "We'd love to welcome him to our beautiful city in June, or he's got the choice of provincial rugby in New Zealand until September or October. I can see him having two good years or even more in Melbourne and then being able to name his own price if he wants to go home." There was no indication which New Zealand province Cipriani might join, though Wellington may have a vacancy as they are reportedly losing All Black utility back Tamati Ellison to a club in Japan before the domestic league, the Air New Zealand Cup, begins in late July. The Rebels will include Cipriani among "six to 10" newcomers – most of them Australians – to be announced tomorrow. They are waiting on Gloucester's No 8 Gareth Delve to decide whether his recall by Wales yesterday has altered his intention to move to Melbourne. The 30-man Rebels squad – to be coached by Rod Macqueen, Damien Hill, Mark Bakewell (formerly with Bath), Matt Cockbain and Nathan Grey – may not get together completely until next January. "It has got to the stage where we will be rejecting overtures from players wanting to join us," said Waldron, a new figure in rugby union after five years as the chief executive officer of Melbourne Storm in rugby league and, before that, management stints in Australian Rules with St Kilda and Richmond.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

It has got to the stage where we will be rejecting overtures from players wanting to join us,"

que?

A3E5AA41-B422-8360-6F7DB6B16B2876AB.jpg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

#1 Tah said:
Tahs want to keep freier.

The Tahs have three hookers capable of starting in the S14 and all want to play. They will inevitably lose one, whether it be this year or next unless they do some super special wheeling and dealing. Ultimately though it's not good for Australian rugby (but good for the Tahs/whatever team is in this position) as we need them starting or at least on the bench.

Same goes for the other teams that have huge depth in one position and the contract of the guys who are stuck on the bench/not playing comes up for renegotiation (eg Kingi from the Reds).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I believe there is a Weary Dunlop lunch on tomorrow. I reckon this is where they will announce a number of the signings.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

ahhh thats proably it noddy.

and to your "que?"

i think waldron was taking a word from kevin rudds speechbook

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

RugbyFuture said:
ahhh thats proably it noddy.

and to your "que?"

i think waldron was taking a word from kevin rudds speechbook

As long as he doesn't take any from Rudd's pissing money down the toilet book.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Folau on hit list

March 18, 2010

The Melbourne Rebels are keeping it quiet, but they want Brisbane Broncos league centre Israel Folau. Aware that Folau played rugby in his schooldays and a few months ago had shown some interest in a change of codes, the Rebels are looking at him as a potential midfielder or winger.

Although nothing official has been said, the Rebels know that if they enticed Folau, who is in his second year with the Brumbies with an option for two more seasons, to the new franchise, he would lure numerous other players from both codes their way.

Mark Gasnier is also high up on the Rebels' shopping list, with a decision over if and when he will leave the French club rugby ranks and return to Australia expected in coming weeks.

Potential win I think. Providing they realise that pretty much all successful (by my definition) league converts are Wings and not OCs. Do the right thing!

Also it is amazing the article says Brumbies not Broncos. These simple mistakes are popping up to much in Australian rugby journalism. I understand you need to break the story but seriously, 1 independent proof read and it would of been fixed.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

yeh i just saw that and got a bit confused, had to read it over and realise how they could make the mistake, but id be hesitant about another leaguey

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Blue said:
topo said:
Sounds like Reds Academy Centre Ben Tapuai is heading down there. What happened to the du Plessis boys from the Shorks? They sounded like they were certainties a week ago.

Surely they won't sign up in a World Cup year and impact their Bok aspirations?

DeVilliers has demonstrated that he's somewhat willing to consider foreign players before and its not like playing for an Australian Super 14 team will cause the conflicts with playing for the Springboks that playing for a Euro club might.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Dennis confirmed for Tahs for 2 more years. Is Mowen contracted next year?

He'd have to back himself and come down to the Rebs if he isn't. There would have to be WC squad spots for men who can play 6,7 and 8.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

en_force_er said:
Folau on hit list

March 18, 2010

The Melbourne Rebels are keeping it quiet, but they want Brisbane Broncos league centre Israel Folau. Aware that Folau played rugby in his schooldays and a few months ago had shown some interest in a change of codes, the Rebels are looking at him as a potential midfielder or winger.

Although nothing official has been said, the Rebels know that if they enticed Folau, who is in his second year with the Brumbies with an option for two more seasons, to the new franchise, he would lure numerous other players from both codes their way.

Mark Gasnier is also high up on the Rebels' shopping list, with a decision over if and when he will leave the French club rugby ranks and return to Australia expected in coming weeks.

Potential win I think. Providing they realise that pretty much all successful (by my definition) league converts are Wings and not OCs. Do the right thing!

Also it is amazing the article says Brumbies not Broncos. These simple mistakes are popping up to much in Australian rugby journalism. I understand you need to break the story but seriously, 1 independent proof read and it would of been fixed.

Not too keen on leaguies in union unless they have an extensive background in union. There is only maybe 3 or 4 league players which i would want and feel comfortable with in my team. Israel Folau is one of those players! He would be an awesome winger. But with a dodging article that got something as simple as brumbies and broncos mixed up, im not so sure about is authenticity.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...rican-connection/story-e6frg7mf-1225842055774

Melbourne Rebels turn to South African connection

* Wayne Smith
* March 18, 2010 12:00AM

THE South African influence on the Rebels is on the rise, with Stormers flanker Duane Vermeulen now on Melbourne's recruitment radar, along with the club's primary targets in the republic, Springbok brothers Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis.

Like the Fainga'a twins, Anthony and Saia, who two years ago moved together from the Brumbies to Queensland and this week recommitted to the Reds for two years, the du Plessis brothers come as a package.

Where the Western Force failed in its attempt to recruit Bismarck, the Boks' Test hooker, the Rebels are hoping that by chasing both brothers, they will dramatically improve their chance of attracting them to Melbourne.

Both were born in Bethlehem, the small town in the eastern Free State, not the one south of Jerusalem, but, even so, the Rebels are treating them like the Messiah, capable of attracting other players and fans to the fledgling Melbourne club.

Head coach Rod Macqueen and football manager Greg Harris met with them during their visit to Australia with the Sharks this month and Rebels insiders are adamant the club is right in the hunt for them.

"Obviously, it's a pretty big move for them, especially for Jannie who is a doctor, but we're definitely on track," said one Rebels source.

It is understood backrower Vermeulen, a three-season veteran for the Stormers, is interested in migrating to Melbourne.

The Rebels are assessing how the 23-year-old would fit into

their mix but the ongoing difficulties in securing an ARU clearance for England flanker Michael Lipman might yet create an opening for him.

The Rebels' offer to Gareth Delve remains on the table but the Gloucester number eight cannot keep stalling until he sees how his Test comeback for Wales works out.

Meanwhile, the Reds have no intention of surrendering Laurie Weeks to the Rebels without a fight, with coach Ewen McKenzie hopeful the in-form tighthead will put the reality of the Reds' revival before Melbourne's promises.

"Maybe I'm biased but right here and now we're offering him a good package and a side that's winning games," McKenzie said. The Reds will have an embarrassment of wing riches available for their three-match South African tour starting tomorrow following the recovery of Rod Davies from a fractured cheekbone. He had been in sensational form until the injury but since then Luke Morahan and Brando Va'alu have performed impressively on the wing.

Force coach John Mitchell is expected to stick with hooker Ryan Tyrell against the Waratahs in Perth on Saturday despite the young debutant's erratic lineout throwing against the Reds last weekend.

Admittedly, Mitchell's choice is likely to be made easier by Wallaby Pek Cowan's ongoing neck and shoulder problems, but Tyrell showed enough around the field against Queensland to suggest he is worth persevering with.

Force captain Nathan Sharpe promised a vastly improved performance from his side in its last local derby of the season. Last year the Perth side made a clean sweep of its matches against Australian teams but after losses to the Brumbies and Reds, its last chance is against the Waratahs.

"We're not going to die wondering," Sharpe said. "I don't ever again want to go through what we were feeling in the dressing room last Sunday."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6032140,00.html

Super 15 carrot tempting Heaslip

17th March 2010 10:37

Ireland and Leinster forward Jamie Heaslip has hinted that he may up sticks and move to either France or the Super 15 in the near future.

The 26-year-old, who has been one of the standout players over the past two seasons and alongside Imanol Harinordoquy and Johnnie Beattie been the star number eight in the 2010 Six Nations, is obviously hot property at the moment.

And in an interview with the Irish Independent, Heaslip has not hidden the fact that a change of scenery is not out of the question.

"I'd like to play abroad at some stage," he said.

"I don't know where but France might be interesting. Or some Super 15 stuff. I'd like a crack at that."

Leinster will, of course, be looking to tie in their man, who made his debut at the province back in 2005. But with the likes of Melbourne Rebels and Top 14 outfits always on the lookout for big-name players, Heaslip's future is now in the balance.

"I'd like to mix it up," he continued before saying it would be difficult to leave Dublin.

"I'd find it hard to play for another team in Ireland because I'm Leinster through and through. I want to experience things, go somewhere for a season? I'd be up for that."

Status
Not open for further replies.