• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Faaaarque - Heaslip is like Rocky Elsom playing 8. I could see him wanting a change to play in France but not in the S14. It would be great to have him but it would be an odd move for one of Europe's best backrowers to come here in 2011.

Ireland could decree that all players who want to be included in their 2011 RWC squad must be available to play in the 2011 6N - just to keep him. He's that good.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

I have suspected for quite a while that there has been more than a little smoke about. Rod Macqueen is at it again?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Stormers flanker Duane Vermeulen

he was very close to signing with the Reds last year, instead we go Braid.

Obviously has some Aussie love.

S

Spook

I'd be amazed if Heaslip went to the Rebels.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

The Rebels can do a lot worse than getting those four. Bismarck, Jannie, Heaslip and Vermeulen make up a pretty decent start for a pack and the experience is excellent.

I just can't see the brothers signing before 2012.

The only thing that will keep Bisrmarck in SA is the fact that Smit's star is fading.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

the weary dunlop lunch is on as i post, so far ther have been two posts from our freinds at rebel-army.com which are interesting

1.Macqueen on stage, players must take a risk and commit to 4 pillars: a club, a school, a business and a charity

2.laurie weeks has been signed

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

The group promised a couple of more signing announcements as well. I am so pleased with getting Weekes though.

Good 5/8, good THP, that's all you need right?

Cyril Towers (30)

You probably need a good LHP as well so that the good THP on the other side doesn't get bored. ;)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

topo said:
You probably need a good LHP as well so that the good THP on the other side doesn't get bored. ;)

Agreed. Seriously though, Ben Alexander is a LH that plays TH for the Wobs and Cowen is now a Hooker (he is a heap smaller than past seasons, too small for TH).

What I'm saying is, in my mind, the Rebs have secured the best THP in Australia.

T

tranquility

mmm.

Heaslip is the man - but he sounds like he is just scoping interest.

Very dissapointing if the Week's signing is now official.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Melbourne Rebels have announced Queensland Reds prop Laurie Weeks as their first Australian-based signing for the 2011 Super 15.
The Rebels announced Weeks, the 2009 Australian Super 14 rookie of the year, had signed with the expansion franchise at the Weary Dunlop Lunch in Melbourne on Thursday.

The announcement comes after restrictions preventing Melbourne signing Australian-based players were lifted on Monday.

While Rebels officials had indicated six players had committed to the new team, none had been officially announced until the Dunlop Lunch.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie on Thursday morning said tighthead Weeks had yet to make a decision and Queensland had not given up the fight to keep him.

oh, well, for the good of Australia I guess.

T

tranquility

Aww well, get someone else in there then.

Imagine if this was another 'Frier' situation. ha ha

Cyril Towers (30)

en_force_er said:
topo said:

Agreed. Seriously though, Ben Alexander is a LH that plays TH for the Wobs and Cowen is now a Hooker (he is a heap smaller than past seasons, too small for TH).

What I'm saying is, in my mind, the Rebs have secured the best THP in Australia.

Couldn't agree more. Although, BA really surprised me with how well he has played at THP. Sometimes I think we just need a permanent props thread on this thing.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

I believe they have made an offer to Weary Dunlop but are waiting to hear back...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Epi said:
I believe they have made an offer to Weary Dunlop but are waiting to hear back...

He'd step right into the Wallabies squad, he's even wearing the kit if the tales are true...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

more rumours, i believe this makes pretty much every australian with a couple of saffas and irishmen about to sign a contract with the rebels, still only one signing so far is incredibly dissappointing

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ls-shopping-list/story-e6frg7o6-1225842267240

Matt Dunning on Rebels shopping list

* UPDATED: Bret Harris
* March 18, 2010 3:10PM

MELBOURNE Rebels are believed to be interested in Wallabies prop Matt Dunning for the expanded Super 15 series next year.

The experienced Dunning, who can play on both sides of the scrum, would be a very good recruit for the Rebels.
Dunning, who joined the Western Force this year after nine seasons with the NSW Waratahs, has an option in his favour.

The Waratahs had wanted Dunning to sign a two-year deal to stay in Sydney, but with a new team coming into the competition he preferred to keep his options open.

The Rebels confirmed they had signed Queensland prop Laurie Weeks, the 2009 Australian Super 14 rookie of the year, at the Weary Dunlop Lunch in Melbourne today.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)

Weeks is a fool. Here he is on the verge of something big, maybe a Wallaby tourist later this year and a bash at the Super 14 finals next year leading into the World Cup and he goes and joins a new franchise that hasn't a hope in hell of being competitive in its first year (if you go by history and the obvious reluctance of too many quality local players to sign up).

Sure, he may get a bit more dosh in the first instance but in a serial losing team he ain't going to be competing at the sharp end. It's all a bit short sighted and a waste really......

Cyril Towers (30)

I hear he hates living in Qld.
And I thought props were supposed t be dumb! ;)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

RugbyFuture said:
still only one signing so far is incredibly dissappointing

Not to those with realistic expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.