• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big Red

Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

:elsom:
Rebels have been chasing pretty hard a number of Qld players esp players from the original ARC team ie the Murphy boys, Liam Shaw, Hanson who was the youngest member of their squad, and the Sydney Uni boys. Heard on the grapevine that they are looking at Harvey (centre from Brothers) and Tessman (prop from Uni) and other fringe club players too and that they've signed or are close to signing an international hooker.
Bringing on a new team in a World Cup year is a bit tough. Anyone with any serious aspirations wouldn't be moving in a World Cup year esp. the international players. Would have been much better to start up a new team the year following a world cup.
I also think that the ARU should bring in a draft system similar to the AFL and New Zealand where fringe players are put into a pool for other Clubs to draw on. Instead of Clubs like the Tahs and Brumbies hoarding players and the players getting no game time. As has been said before the problem in Aust is that we don't have the 2nd tier comp to give these fringe players any game time at the next level. Club football is pretty weak in Qld. Seems that the centre of the universe is the NSW Club comp esp when players from the Force and Brumbies are advised to only play in NSW!!

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)

Liam Shaw won't be playing rugby again. I spoke to a relative of his, who said it is the second time he had this type of injury and shouldn't have been playing after the first time it happened.

P

PhucNgo

Got the impression (from reading between the lines) while watching the RC on Fox last Wednesday that the ARU may not be up for topping up Mortlock's contract should he go south. Jeremy Paul was banging on about this without mentioning names, but you knew who he was referring to as he's been Mortlock's advocate for some time. Also got the distinct impression that FatCat is going to play it down to the wire in re-negotiating his contract with the Tahs as well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

It's Fat Cat's top up with the ARU that he is negotiating before he signs.

Maybe the Rebels have an extra carrot for him from a 3rd party that he won't get at the Tahs, and he wants that to stay in Sydney, but I doubt it, and it's not what he is saying.

The Tahs won't let him go. They love his dog so much.

Big Red

Good first post. Welcome aboard.

The demise of the ARC, which ticked all the rugby boxes, was a severe blow for Oz rugby. It gave us a glimpse of what Oz rugby could have been after it had been in action for a while.

It would have helped players, Super teams, coaches, referees, the national team and indirectly helped to grow participation numbers.

Maybe a national club comp between the strongest clubs in Sydney and Brisbane plus a team each from the ACT and Melbourne will be a valid second best option. The weaker clubs would play amongst themselves with the best being promoted the following year at the expense of relegated clubs.

The big Sydney clubs reckoned in 2006 it would have been more financially viable than the ARC. Who knows, they could be right. Costs of involving Perth would preclude their participation but at least their players could come east.

The idea is full of holes but it may be something better than we have now which is nothing. Yep, I have a list of objections too.

But I digress.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...lock-set-to-become-a-rebel-20100327-r3zc.html

It's almost official: Mortlock set to become a Rebel
EXCLUSIVE JOSH RAKIC
March 28, 2010

WALLABIES star Stirling Mortlock will become the Melbourne Rebels' highest-profile signing so far after finally agreeing to terms with the new Super 15 franchise. And he won't be the last.

A well-placed Melbourne source has revealed to The Sun-Herald that the 33-year-old Wallaby was ''coming to the club'' and said his signing could be announced as soon as this week - once the Australian Rugby Union signs off on the deal.

Mortlock joins English glamour back Danny Cipriani and Queensland prop Laurie Weeks to become just the third signing for the fledgling club, with as many as five other names - some Wallabies - expected to be known within the next 10 days.

But chief executive Brian Waldron would neither confirm nor deny the reports, saying only that things were not all doom and gloom for the Rebels, as speculated, and that the franchise was doing better than as perceived by the public.

''The problem is you're reliant on the ARU to make announcements, so we're waiting on them to finalise things,'' Waldron told The Sun-Herald. But we're travelling OK.

''We have a few things … we're just waiting on an ARU sign-off.''

Meanwhile, another source close to the Rebels' camp revealed that the new franchise, which just two weeks ago was given free rein by the ARU to sign Australian Super 14 players, already had a third of its playing roster all but finalised just two months into its existence.

''We've got nine, 10 players that have already signed or committed to sign,'' the source said.

''And if that's the case, we've got a third of the list. And others are really sitting back and waiting to see if you get a bit of momentum.

''There are certain players who we don't want to announce at the moment. It's all a timing thing. Because of the regulations with the ARU, if they're players who have got your top-up and that sort of stuff, or they're overseas players, there's a few more rules and regulations we have to go through.

''But we've got in the order of nine to 10 players who have signed or are basically as good as across the line. That's not a bad thing.

''So if we can announce a few key signings in the next few weeks, then I think things will fall into place quite nicely.''

Mortlock had wanted a three-year deal with the Rebels and a matching ARU top-up, but it is believed the veteran centre is looking to life after football, with the ARU prepared to extend his contract only until the end of the 2011 World Cup.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Mortlock will hopefully except very few dollars. The great man just isn't up to this level anymore.

Though maybe, just maybe, a full preseason (he won't get anywhere near the Wobs) will see him be decent again.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.heavensgame.com/super-14/gareth-delve-signs-for-melbourne-rebels

Gareth Delve signs for Melbourne Rebels

Welsh International and Gloucester captain, Gareth Delve announced overnight that he will leave Gloucester Rugby for the "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity offered by the Melbourne Rebels.

Commenting on his decision, Delve said " The opportunity to test myself alongside the best players in world rugby in a competition I have grown up admiring, was one I couldn't refuse. I am delighted to join the Melbourne Rebels for their entrance into Super Rugby in 2011."

Born in Cardiff and capped 11 times for Wales, the 191cm, 115kg Delve is currently playing Number 8 for Gloucester Rugby, where he has been key to the team’s improved form this season, resulting in his recall to the Welsh side in the Six Nations.

In announcing his move on Saturday following Gloucester's 19 - Nil win over Leeds, Delve said, “Having made this decision, my entire focus will remain on helping Gloucester Rugby to achieve the success that it so richly deserves. It's a privilege to captain such a great club and such a fantastic group of guys and I will continue to be totally committed to the club for the remainder of the season."

Melbourne Rebels Director of Coaching and Head Coach, Rod Macqueen said "We've been talking to Gareth for a while now, and he is exactly the sort of player and mentor we're after. He's a very good ball player who will certainly fit in well with the team."

Delve said that one of the key factors in his decision to come to Melbourne was the opportunity to work with Macqueen.

"For Rod Macqueen to come out of retirement, this must be something special. The chance to be involved with the building of a club from the ground up has great appeal. I;m looking forward to it immensely." Delve said from London this morning.

Gareth Delve is also very happy to be reconnecting with recently appointed Melbourne Rebels Forwards Coach, Mark Bakewell, who coached the Number 8 in his final year at Bath Rugby in 2007.

Praising Bakewell's contribution Delve said, "Mark has turned Bath into one of the best ball playing packs in the English Premiership competition. It'll be great to see a friendly face when I arrive in Melbourne.";

"My partner, Helen and I also look forward to sharing this exciting journey from North to South with Danny Cipriani and Kelly."

Gareth Delve is expected to arrive in Melbourne in September. The expanded Super Rugby season kicks off in February 2011.

awesome stuff

T

TOCC

awsome news about delve

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Glad to hear that. That makes 1 of our 9 (i think) captains that Waldron/MacQueen have been talking about. Mortlock will likely be the next one. Wonder who the other seven will be.

Obviously Rocky next (am yet to discover a sarcasm smiley on this forum).

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

I have a serious concern that a seriously overweight moggy might be the next. I bloody well hope not.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Delve is a good player and the Wales 3rd string no. 8. He's a good ball runner and player, not a grunt no.8.

He'll do well in the S15 and the Rebels would be lucky to have him. Good to see that he mentioned Macqueen as a factor in his decision because, if true, there may be a few others who will want to come down here for the same reason.

It's a big step for him. By not making himself available for the 2011 6N he has virtually kissed goodbye to his chances to play in the RWC.

T

TOCC

Apparently the Rebels are chasing Greg Somerville, could be a good signing for them, a front row with Weekes and Somerville would be a solid foundation to build off

S

Spook

Benson Stanley is on the radar as well. He'd be a great acquisition. Still not capped for the ABs is he?

The Taffs are not happy Delve is going and Warren Gatland is getting some grief over this.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Spook said:
Benson Stanley is on the radar as well. He'd be a great acquisition. Still not capped for the ABs is he?

The Taffs are not happy Delve is going and Warren Gatland is getting some grief over this.

A brief search doesn't show that he's been capped.

It also shows that he was born in Aus, which would be doubly beneficial. He seems to be the sort of back that Rod's looking for.

T

TOCC

i would be surprised if the Stanely brothers dont come in a package..

His younger brother Winston is a handy aquisition as well

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

James Buchanan said:
Why the requote?

Because my concern was most serious.

Either that or the bottle of Grand Reserve 2005 Pepper Tree Chardonnay got the better of me!

Status
Not open for further replies.