• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Lion said:
I saw Dan Heenan the other day. He looks like he has been on a Japanese diet.
I was quiet shocked when Iread the ARU are considering him? I beleive he has just had another knee recon and I think he missed most of last season with a shoulder. Dont quote me though.

I don't think that article says the ARU is considering a top-up for Heenan. The ARU is quoted as saying that he will be free, when off contract, to join an S15 team. The claim that he would receive an ARU top-up is the author's and is not attributed to the ARU's. There is a ... large ... difference between saying he is free to join an S15 team and that he will receive a top-up.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

Pretty sure if he had an injury free career he would have been Aussie's best blindside of the naughties.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

In other news, I can't believe the Rebels are about to sign Morty for 3 YEARS!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Reddy! said:

Media signing. In Victoria alot of sports fans have watched the big wallaby tests over the years and he has been a heavy feature in many of them. The average punter doesn't follow the S14 and Mortlock wasn't too bad in the internationals last year so he is still highly thought of.

Plus, he would be good for the club culture and I think there would be a coaching clause in there. He could do wonders going out into the Junior and School rugby clubs of Victoria. The kids that play know who he is.

If he does resurrect his career in Melbourne (stranger things have happened) it will be great for him and the Rebels.

EDIT: My optimism is on the basis that he isn't being paid too handsomely. I'd rather they allot the serious dollars set aside for a good center on Gasnier.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

en_force_er said:
Reddy! said:

Media signing. In Victoria alot of sports fans have watched the big wallaby tests over the years and he has been a heavy feature in many of them. The average punter doesn't follow the S14 and Mortlock wasn't too bad in the internationals last year so he is still highly thought of.

Plus, he would be good for the club culture and I think there would be a coaching clause in there. He could do wonders going out into the Junior and School rugby clubs of Victoria. The kids that play know who he is.

If he does resurrect his career in Melbourne (stranger things have happened) it will be great for him and the Rebels.

EDIT: My optimism is on the basis that he isn't being paid too handsomely. I'd rather they allot the serious dollars set aside for a good center on Gasnier.

im not sure gasnier is any better than an old sterlo, opinions seem to be mixed on his form, yet he is being chosen in the first 15.

ultimately i think anyone would prefer that overseas and young players get the opportunity, but there are only positives in Mortlocks signing, the Rebels having an instantly recognisable face is the most important. he will spread the word and the fact he is "ex wallaby captain" stirling mortlock means a great deal when selling the side.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I'm not sure whether Gasnier is currently better than Mortlock either. BUT, given the Rebels coaching staff, Gasnier's age and the fact he is still learning the game he has potential to improve. Mortlock will, sadly, at best remain stagnant.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

Lee Grant said:
All indications are that To'omua is keen to remain with the Brumbies, even if it means he spends most of next season being groomed to take over at five-eighth in 2012 if, as expected, Matt Giteau heads to Europe.

This has more to do with his hair then anything else

P

poolersaint

Just want to say the rebels have picked up a bargain in Gareth Delve. He's a better player than Ryan Jones and Powell and if it hadn't been for the injury problems that blighted his early career he'd be a nailed on cert in the Wales test side.
He used to have real genuine pace in his early days but at 27 still has his best years ahead of him, and I'd say he's probably only been playing at around 80% this season.
He could be a huge hit down under ! Good luck to him. :thumb

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

poolersaint said:
Just want to say the rebels have picked up a bargain in Gareth Delve. He's a better player than Ryan Jones and Powell

Wow - disagree, because IMO he has the skills, but not the grunt that Powell and R. Jones have. But at the Club/Super level a skills player can have a tad more effect than against the hard heads who make it to 6N.

He 's a good pick up though. Folks over there wouldn't be wanting him to stay in Europe if he was a dud.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Lion said:
I saw Dan Heenan the other day. He looks like he has been on a Japanese diet.
I was quiet shocked when Iread the ARU are considering him? I beleive he has just had another knee recon and I think he missed most of last season with a shoulder. Dont quote me though.

Conflicting reports here. What do you mean by Japanese diet? Fat or thin? The Japs have the longest life expectency in the world, so can't be all bad.

PLUS, since when is he a lock? Sight unseen I would put Sharpe, Mumm and Douglas ahead of him at lock, and half a dozen players ahead of him at 6. If we need an OS-based broken lock we already have Dan Vickerman.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)

Scarfman said:
Conflicting reports here. What do you mean by Japanese diet? Fat or thin? The Japs have the longest life expectency in the world, so can't be all bad.

PLUS, since when is he a lock? Sight unseen I would put Sharpe, Mumm and Douglas ahead of him at lock, and half a dozen players ahead of him at 6. If we need an OS-based broken lock we already have Dan Vickerman.

Sorry, he looked vey thin and not that fit.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Lee Grant said:
poolersaint said:
Just want to say the rebels have picked up a bargain in Gareth Delve. He's a better player than Ryan Jones and Powell

Wow - disagree, because IMO he has the skills, but not the grunt that Powell and R. Jones have. But at the Club/Super level a skills player can have a tad more effect than against the hard heads who make it to 6N.

He 's a good pick up though. Folks over there wouldn't be wanting him to stay in Europe if he was a dud.

Andy "Golfcart" Powell: is he the No. 1 Eight in Wales? And is this still applicable? :

http://bloodandmud.typepad.com/.a/6a00e39824cab28833011570010a26970c-pi

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)

Mortlock confirmed...

STIRLING Mortlock is officially a Melbourne Rebel for the team's premier season.

After months of speculation the former Wallabies captain has finally joined the club on a three-year-deal.

The 32-year-old has rebuked a lucrative offer from French rugby to join the new Super 15 team with a view to being part of the Wallabies World Cup campaign in 2011.

Rebels officials are remaining tight-lipped in keeping with their policy of making announcements about the signing of players in-season in Australia low-key.

But they are quietly beaming after securing the services of the man Rebels coach Rod Macqueen nominated a high priority from day one.

Macqueen has long been an admirer of Mortlock ever since plucking him from club rugby at the age of 20 to tour with the Wallabies in 1997.

Mortlock also made his Wallabies debut in 2000, when Macqueen was national coach.

Despite reports however, its unlikely Mortlock would be the club's first captain.

Instead he is set to be used as a mentor for what could be a young squad of players, which is slowly coming together.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mortlock-to-join-melbourne-rebels/story-e6frf9if-1225848101684

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

I wish him the best. thanks morty, you been our heart for many years,

however i think Andy Friend should play Andrew Smith for now on.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Feck. Mortlock to wing? I wish but it won't happen.

Friend had the right idea last year I think. This pretty much means Gasnier will be going Qld or saying in France.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

nah it means Gas has an awesome mentor.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Noddy said:
nah it means Gas has an awesome mentor.

That would be terrific. But you think that have the dollars to have 2 pretty expensive OCs on there books?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

both can be paid for out of the marketing budget.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Noddy said:
both can be paid for out of the marketing budget.

Mortlock, yes. Gasnier, no.

Sure he'd attract bigger crowds for interstate teams but no Victorian crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.