• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

en_force_er said:
Feck. Mortlock to wing? I wish but it won't happen.

Friend had the right idea last year I think. This pretty much means Gasnier will be going Qld or saying in France.

Nah you forget Rod McQueen loves having 2 big hard centres (grey and herbert). This could mean he's looking at gasnier at 12, Morty at 13.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I reckon the other way around in fact.

T

tranquility

While I think Mortlock is of little value to the Burmbies, I think his signing is a great acquisition for the Rebels. I hope he becomes a 12 though because he is too slow for any other position, unless he wanted to become a blindside. ha ha.

I think he probably only has 1 more season in him and he will probably make the rest of the contract up as an assistant coach or ambassador for the club once he begins his studies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

100% agree with that. An excellent signing. Rod will look after him too.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

so a summary of the signings so far

1.Laurie Weekes
4.Luke Jones
5.Adam Byrnes
8.Gareth Delve
9.Richard Kingi
13.Stirling Mortlock
14.Lachlan Mitchell
15.Danny Cipriani

anything else?

Edit: Luke Jones and Lachlan Mitchell added

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

The good part about this, is that Mortlock is still in australia. If coming into the World cup, we find ourselves with Digby, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) injured for whatever reason, Mortlock would be useful insurance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

RugbyFuture said:
so a summary of the signings so far

1.Laurie Weekes
5.Adam Byrnes
8.Gareth Delve
9.Richard Kingi
15.Danny Cipriani

anything else?

Luke Jones

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Luke Jones would have to be unlikely to start and Mortlock is likely to play 12. For arguments sake I suppose Jones gets a spot in the 15 till another lock joins the Rebs.

Has Mortlock signed for 1 or 3 years? I've read both in different articles.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
i read three

jesus. ah well, i hear morty's choice was based on business opportunities.

let's hope his choice to come to the rebels was heavy on the business reasons and light on the short-term financial return.

despite my comments i really do hope the great man finds his form again... or at least something resembling what it used to be.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

macqueen said if he doesnt last the full three they'll transfer the contract over to an off field position

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

God dammit.

It's like Mortlock was put on this planet to impress me. He really hasn't put a foot wrong in anything he's done in way shape or form for my eyes. Fantastic player, team man through and through, dedicated to the rugby in his country (not accepting any overseas contracts) and an all round bloody good bloke.

Definately my favourite Australian, if not global player, of the noughties.

(I'd still never pick him in a team over Buncey though, but that's another story altogether).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

MajorlyRagerly said:
(I'd still never pick him in a team over Buncey though, but that's another story altogether).

Nor either over Brian O'Driscoll, one trusts.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
MajorlyRagerly said:

I would. BOD has never performed in a WC or done the job against NZ. Morty has on many occasions. I also think our 2 wins in SA were down to Morty.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Lee Grant said:
MajorlyRagerly said:

Both at their peak? I think I would go for Morty too although I'm undoubtedly biased.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I think I'd probably explode before I was able to come up with a decision in picking between those two.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

I'll go for the Player of Decade thank you. Put Bunce or Mortlock in the Ireland team for 10 years and ask if they would have got that gong. But there is no right or wrong on these things is there?

Pete Betham - I don't know how serious you can take twitter info like that but if he has got a gig I hope he isn't as tentative as the last time I saw him play. Maybe it was just an off day against the Runners and he'll go well. I hope so.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Lee Grant said:
MajorlyRagerly said:

One would be wrong. Not going to get into the arguments over whose the better player, but I'd pick Mortlock 7 days out of and twice on Sundays before having BOD in a team of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.