• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

http://www.heavensgame.com/super-14...nobles-cordingley-davidson-and-waratah-betham

Melbourne rebels sign Grenoble's Cordingley, Davidson and Waratah Betham

The Melbourne Rebels announces the signing of France-based Wallabies World Cup halfback, Sam Cordingley, former Force and Waratahs back, Tim Davidson and dynamic young Waratah, Peter Betham.

Captain of Grenoble and rated among the top five halfbacks in France, Cordingley says the opportunity the Melbourne Rebels presents made the decision to come home easy.

“After speaking with Rod Macqueen and Brian Waldron about their ideas for taking the club forward, it became a quick decision to join,” he said from his home in France this morning.

“Being asked to be one of the founding members of the Melbourne Rebels and to be part of building a culture from scratch is an honour. It’s something not many players get the chance to experience.”

“It’s great for Australian rugby that Melbourne, the city with the country’s biggest sporting culture, is represented in Super Rugby.”

Cordingley will join fellow Melbourne Rebel, Stirling Mortlock, as two of four Wallabies whose Test careers spanned from the Macqueen era to that of current coach Robbie Deans.

In commenting on Cordingley’s addition to the list, Macqueen said “Sam is one of the hardest running halfbacks in rugby. His experience with the Reds and the Wallabies, coupled with his proven leadership skills, will see him add enormous value to the Rebels.”

Tim Davidson made history when he captained his club team, Sydney University to five consecutive premierships. At the Melbourne Rebels, Davidson will be reunited with former Sydney Uni coach and now Assistant Coach of the Rebels, Damien Hill.

“Tim brings a great deal of professional rugby experience to the Rebels through his stints at the Waratahs, Force and Leeds. He’s a high work-rate player who can fill all the back row slots and will be someone who helps us build a strong foundation to the Rebels’ playing style and culture.” Hill said.

Hill also looks forward to once again working with one of the most dynamic and athletic young backs in Australian rugby, Peter Betham.

“After a stint with the Brumbies, Peter came back to the Sydney club competition in mid 2009 and proceeded to display a level of form that help propel Sydney Uni to the 2009 premiership, and him personally, to a spot in the Waratahs’ main squad for 2010.” Hill said.

“At the Melbourne Rebels we’re expecting Peter to grow on an off the field and become a formidable and integral part of the playing roster.”

With Cordingley, Davidson and Betham, the Melbourne Rebels continues its momentum in putting together the team to take its place in the Super Rugby competition kicking off in February 2011.

PROFESSIONAL PLAYING CAREER:

Sam Cordingley Tim Davidson Peter Betham

1998/99 - ACT Brumbies 2006 - Western Force 2007 - Australian U19s

1999-01 2006 - QLD Reds 2007 - NSW Waratahs 2008 - Australian U20s

2002-04 - Swansea RFC 2008/09 - Leeds 2008/09 - ACT Brumbies

2004-06 - FC Grenoble 2010 - NSW Waratahs

2008- FC Grenoble

2000- 2008 Wallabies (22 caps)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

The Cordingley signing came off. That's awesome.

Think a WC squad birth is out of the question?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

en_force_er said:
The Cordingley signing came off. That's awesome.

Think a WC squad birth is out of the question?

Yes

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Cordingley has a sweet pass but he's 34 years old. Yes, a RWC squad is out of the question. McKibbin would have been a better get for the Force.

Davidson was in the "top club player but not a Super player" basket in my eyes but there have been a few of those to prove me wrong in the past and let's all hope that this affable fellow does the same.

I have written about Betham before. He wowed us all at Joeys and I hope he does the same in Super rugby. Good luck Pete.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Cordingley is 34 but we are light on the talented Halfbacks in Australia right now. Obviously Genia is the exception.

Kingi and McKibbon are right around the corner in terms of development but they aren't here yet. Burgess has been given many a change and just isn't seising them.

I don't think Sam should play the WC but I think you could do worse than play him against Russia and the USA.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

en_force_er said:
Cordingley is 34 but we are light on the talented Halfbacks in Australia right now. Obviously Genia is the exception.

Kingi and McKibbon are right around the corner in terms of development but they aren't here yet. Burgess has been given many a change and just isn't seising them.

I don't think Sam should play the WC but I think you could do worse than play him against Russia and the USA.

Yeah i guess you're right about that, but you would think that they'd pick three halfbacks for the WC Squad, and one of the young guys will probably get picked ahead of Cordingley.

Mind you, Van the Man might get picked for the WC Squad and he's about that age.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

enforcer

Disagree on McKibbin. Last I saw him play a few weeks ago (Huxley's comeback game) he was well and truly Super material.

Also, I wonder what Nic Berry's contract situation is at Racing Metro?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Still no definitive word from Frier or FatCat on what they are up to. Seems to be taking a long time.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

TheRiddler said:
Still no definitive word from Frier or FatCat on what they are up to. Seems to be taking a long time.

Same applies to Palu, doesn't it?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

i thought cordingly was a nothing when he was on field, nowhere near the level of halfback australia is used to and needs, thought he was a bit slow and dimwitted, but i mihgt be hypercritical

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Lee Grant said:
enforcer

Disagree on McKibbin. Last I saw him play a few weeks ago (Huxley's comeback game) he was well and truly Super material.

Also, I wonder what Nic Berry's contract situation is at Racing Metro?

He really did seem up to Super standard when he played for the Reds but the reality is the man hasn't played much Super rugby at all. Honestly to me he looks unlikely to get S14 game time either this year or next and as such will probably not play the WC.

I suppose we could hope Robbie takes a punt and takes him on the Spring tour?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
i thought cordingly was a nothing when he was on field, nowhere near the level of halfback australia is used to and needs, thought he was a bit slow and dimwitted, but i mihgt be hypercritical

He is a very bread and butter halfback. Good solid pass, good at marshaling forwards ect. He has all the basics but not of the razzle dazzle.

Burgeo on the other hand has all the razzle dazzle and none of the basics.

Do you get me?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

en_force_er said:
RugbyFuture said:

He is a very bread and butter halfback. Good solid pass, good at marshaling forwards ect. He has all the basics but not of the razzle dazzle.

Burgeo on the other hand has all the razzle dazzle and none of the basics.

Do you get me?

I get you. Luckily Genia has both.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

yeh fair enough, still, its been proven by genia and gregan that australia works best with a smart and quick tranfer between the forwards and backs, cordingly just didnt do that for me.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

I don't think Burgess is at bad at the basics as what most say he is. Some of the clips and stats that Gagger(??) produced last year showed he wasn't too far off the mark with passing accuracy and he has looked pretty sharp most of the time this year. Some of the holes he creates around the fringes is beautiful to watch.

Davidson is someone that everyone would like to see perform. A really solid rugby player. He was playing in the Hong Kong Tens along with a few other country players such as Ross Duncan and looked in pretty good shape. Is pretty excited about getting back to Sydney and going for Premiership number 6.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

gambler Definetly agree, is the general consensus that Burgo is the 2nd choice halfback for the Wallabies atm?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)

Burgo just needs to speed up his delivery

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

CORDINGLY?!?! What the FUCK.

I had to check this wasn't an april fucking fools joke.

Has everyone forgotten the Cordingly Spite Thread? The 'accurate delivery' because he took 5 minutes to decide to pass it? That he loved standing at the back of the maul bitching while a jappie hand would reach over and scoop up the ball lying at his feet?
That he was and I assume still is the permanently walking limping wounded?

Rebels signings have just gone from wonky to borderline farcical. Wazimba's joke is looking like a prophecy. At least Gregan was less of an injury magnet.

Thanks for ruining my breakfast

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

Has someone told the rebels they aren't playing in a golden oldes tournament?

Biffo, are you still supporting the rebels?

Status
Not open for further replies.