• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Mortlock is good but I think BOD is above him in a number of ways. Better leader, more xfactor, higher performance in a lower performing team...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Agree, especially on the X-factor - but these opinions sometimes get into the "which games were you watching in the last decade" category. Both sides know they are right and honestly can't understand the view of the other fellow.

To me BOD is like a Tim Horan playing 13, and he was as good in 2009 (Player of the 6N) as he was in 2000. He has a lot more to his game than Mortlock, is a superior ball player, and has a higher work rate - moving to different spots where he can be more useful more often whichever side has the ball - a Horan.

I'm not putting down Mortlock. I saw every test he played; I love the guy and IMO he's probably the best Oz outside centre we've had in the last 50 years, but that doesn't make him better than O'Driscoll in my eyes.

I'll take BOD every day of the year.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
I'll go for the Player of Decade thank you.

:nta: Who decided that? Over McCaw, Smith, Matfield, FdP and various others? Lee, you need to lose these romantic notions concerning Eurotrash players and Eurotrash competition.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
and he was as good in 2009 (Player of the 6N) as he was in 2000.

For a start, the player of the 6Ns is a joke. It is voted by the public and the Irish voters always organise their voting via emails, etc. For example, Tommy Bowe won it this year over the likes of harinordoquy :lmao: I think even BOD won 30% of the vote even though he was outplayed by the likes of Bastareaud and Hook.

In 2009, BOD wasn't as good as the 2000 version unless the 2000 version was a flanker. I can't recall any line breaks by BOD in the 2009 6Ns.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

On the subject of this thread, Rod Macqueen is recruiting nicely. Very nicely indeed.

C

CanadianRugby

3.Laurie Weeks (plays THP now anyway)
4.Luke Jones
5.Adam Byrnes
8.Gareth Delve
9.Richard Kingi
12. Stirling Mortlock (can't see him having the pace for 13 anymore)
13. Lachlan Mitchell (wasn't he playing in the centers for the Wasps?)
14.Peter Betham (who just signed)
15.Danny Cipriani

The way I think its actually going to be.
[/quote]On the subject of this thread, Rod Macqueen is recruiting nicely. Very nicely indeed.
[/quote]

Agree mostly. Certainly dispointing that they haven't gotten a big name player yet, who is still in his prime. Also, No 7, 10 are kind of a problem, since those are key positions. What does anyone know about Betham?

While we are on the subject, what is the logic behind Frier staying with NSW, as is rumoured. I think Frier is a great player (well, very good) and I suspect an excellent teammate, but he wants to stay in NSW where he is behind two other hookers? Does that make sense? I really want Frier to sign with the Rebels. Seriously. Just sign. please.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

i think frier has a future in the media/coaching realm and moving to melbourne might put the brakes on it for now. He is a pretty smart dude, he is going to make the best decision for him and like mortlock, i think he has one eye on life after rugby.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

CanadianRugby said:
13. Lachlan Mitchell (wasn't he playing in the centers for the Wasps?)

He has played all over the shop really. Is Rod one of those coaches that likes his utility players?

Where he plays could well be based on who else signs, for example if no other good 10s sign-up he could play 15 or if a good OC (Gasnier maybe?) signs-up he will play wing. Not a bad man to have.

Cyril Towers (30)

CanadianRugby said:
Agree mostly. Certainly dispointing that they haven't gotten a big name player yet, who is still in his prime. Also, No 7, 10 are kind of a problem, since those are key positions. What does anyone know about Betham?

While we are on the subject, what is the logic behind Frier staying with NSW, as is rumoured. I think Frier is a great player (well, very good) and I suspect an excellent teammate, but he wants to stay in NSW where he is behind two other hookers? Does that make sense? I really want Frier to sign with the Rebels. Seriously. Just sign. please.

I've watched Betham since he was 15. On his day (and Shute Shield GF 2009 is a good example) he is sensational. Great balance, very evasive, big, fast and can tackle. Unfortunately, not every day is "his day" and he's been known to have some shockers. Lee refers to one recently for JWs against Brumby Runners. I think he would be worth a punt, though. NO definites,but I hear pretty reliably that Frier IS going south and Tim Davidson as well. I suspect that Damian Hill's Uni connection will get a few good young players down there. Look out for guys like Sam Carter, Dave McDuling, Ben Roberts and Jacob Taylor. And I think Ben Tapuai from the Reds is still in their sights.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

topo said:
CanadianRugby said:

I've watched Betham since he was 15. On his day (and Shute Shield GF 2009 is a good example) he is sensational. Great balance, very evasive, big, fast and can tackle. Unfortunately, not every day is "his day" and he's been known to have some shockers. Lee refers to one recently for JWs against Brumby Runners. I think he would be worth a punt, though. NO definites,but I hear pretty reliably that Frier IS going south and Tim Davidson as well. I suspect that Damian Hill's Uni connection will get a few good young players down there. Look out for guys like Sam Carter, Dave McDuling, Ben Roberts and Jacob Taylor. And I think Ben Tapuai from the Reds is still in their sights.

Hopefully they sign both Tapuai's. The Victorians deserve at least 1 or 2 of their own in the senior squad.

Surely James Hanson must be on the cards? Is he off contract?
He did great things for the ARC Rebels and through the experience showed he is willing to play in Melbourne. The man must be desperate for game time, he really deserves a S15 16 jersey at least and the Reds are really limiting his development.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Also, is Matt Carraro in the mix? I think he is an excellent player with WC wider squad potential. Someone get him home!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)

en_force_er said:
Also, is Matt Carraro in the mix? I think he is an excellent player with WC wider squad potential. Someone get him home!

Thought I heard he was in Europe and considering having a shot at making the Italian squad?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

CanadianRugby said:
Also, No 7, 10 are kind of a problem, since those are key positions.

Beau Robinson, if he could get out of whatever contract he is in, would be sensational. Perpetual motion, very Holah-like.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Scarfman said:
CanadianRugby said:

Beau Robinson, if he could get out of whatever contract he is in, would be sensational. Perpetual motion, very Holah-like.

Robinson is back in Sydney, as is Lipman. I expect both to be signed as they both play for the Rats and cause havoc

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

fatprop said:
Scarfman said:
CanadianRugby said:

Robinson is back in Sydney, as is Lipman. I expect both to be signed as they both play for the Rats and cause havoc

The double openside flanker tyle game style is a hard one to master, you really need the players to work out there balance. Force had it pretty right late last season.

If Robinson and Lipman both play for the Rats and the Rats go well, they could realistically both start Rebels. This is presuming Delve can jump (his wikipedia stats would suggest this wouldn't be a huge issue).

Yes yes, I know Lipman's is being blocked by the ARU for now but who knows.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

The comparisons between the Rebels and Force in their first years will be interesting.

Remember MacQueen at the Brumbies - signed fringe players from both NSW and Queensland with a few (extremely) good local ACT lads. These players stepped up and did the job. It's apparent that MacQueen is trying the same formula again. Good luck to him.

In contrast the Force went after stars by offering big money and paraded them happily around. When the money went so did plenty of the "stars". Only recently do they have more of a team ethos and seem to have recruited great players who will stick by the team, like Pocock. One wonders how differently they would've gone with the MacQueen/Brumbies method.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Lee Grant said:
I'll take BOD every day of the year.

I would not. On days when "our" team was playing the big dogs - RSA, NZ and France - I wouldn't have O'Driscoll in my 22. For the big time, Mortlock's my man.

"Player of the decade" is a nonsense. Compartmentalizing decades into years starting with 0 and ending with 9 seriously biasses judgement of those whose careers were split over two such ten-year periods.

IMVHO, the best outside centre who played in the first decade of this century was the outside centre of the previous decade.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

We should all recognize a few of Rod Macqueen's qualities before we rush to judgement on the Rebels' progress. Macqueen:

(1) has rugby smarts in abundance - probably exceeding the sum of those of the other Australian S15 coaches.

(2) is a brilliant man manager who will get the very best out of every player in his squad.

(3) doesn't squander resources - watch for his management of those in the squad who some have foolishly labelled "injury prone"; Macqueen will manage Mortlock to get all he can from him, recognizing fully that he is needed for S15 only and is probably not required for Wallaby duties and thus tailoring his training and playing regime.

(4) almost certainly knows precisely how he wants his team to play the game - can you say the same for his four Australian rivals?

(5) is a great improviser (come on down, Bernie), while a great believer in specialization

(6) is very patient indeed.

(7) is very organized and knoew exactly what he wants.

(8) does not have much tolerance for fools.

C

CanadianRugby

Scarfman said:
CanadianRugby said:

Big fan of Beau, after I saw him replace Waugh for that 'Tahs season. Kinda surprised he hasn't signed yet.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

CanadianRugby said:
Scarfman said:
CanadianRugby said:

Big fan of Beau, after I saw him replace Waugh for that 'Tahs season. Kinda surprised he hasn't signed yet.

He is gunning for a Rebels contract for sure in my opinion.
This is considering the time he returned to Australia and the fact that the Tahs will certainly not have a opensider squad spot open next year, nor will the Force or Brumbies.
I suppose the Reds could be on the cards as well by they have a couple of their own development 7s and the Rebels have been denied Lipman.

Status
Not open for further replies.