• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

the gambler said:
I don't think Burgess is at bad at the basics as what most say he is. Some of the clips and stats that Gagger(??) produced last year showed he wasn't too far off the mark with passing accuracy and he has looked pretty sharp most of the time this year. Some of the holes he creates around the fringes is beautiful to watch.

Davidson is someone that everyone would like to see perform. A really solid rugby player. He was playing in the Hong Kong Tens along with a few other country players such as Ross Duncan and looked in pretty good shape. Is pretty excited about getting back to Sydney and going for Premiership number 6.

Can you link me to the stats?

Were are the passes off the base of the ruck? Burgeo seems to always carry it for 2 or 3m instead of passing it off the base. You make your job easier as a halfback by doing that but you make everyone else's job harder.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

If Palu gets resigned what happens to Alcock? From what I assume the Tahs only have 1 more back-row spot left for 2011 and they want Cliffy to fill it.

A man like Alcock that can, in theory, cover 3 positions and accounted for himself well in his debut game would surely be a Rebel target. Vic Club rugby doesn't have much Super level talent just yet so having a squad with a few utilities will be a absolute must. Then again, they could pull the same stuff they did with Dennis and "make room".

Also, I've been thinking for a while that when Thomson and Tilse, inevitably, don't get asked back next year they'd be going straight to Rebels. I mean they aren't great players and they probably aren't up to Super standard but they wouldn't cost much and I think it would help the new franchise to have players that are used to a professional set-up.

What do you guys think?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

en_force_er said:
Also, I've been thinking for a while that when Thomson and Tilse, inevitably, don't get asked back next year they'd be going straight to Rebels.

I thing you don't have much appreciation of Rod Macqueen's ability to judge talent.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Biffo said:
en_force_er said:
Also, I've been thinking for a while that when Thomson and Tilse, inevitably, don't get asked back next year they'd be going straight to Rebels.

I thing you don't have much appreciation of Rod Macqueen's ability to judge talent.

Or I have faith in his ability to bring a player's best performances out of him.

Plus, it isn't like I stated they'd set the world alight and Tilse at least has been working with Hill for a while.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Epi said:
What about Mafi Kefu? (and SBW inside him for that matter... ;))

TC could do that ;)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

en_force_er said:
Biffo said:
en_force_er said:

Or I have faith in his ability to bring a player's best performances out of him.

Plus, it isn't like I stated they'd set the world alight and Tilse at least has been working with Hill for a while.

My point is that I doubt that Macqueen would want Thomson and Tilse.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

DPK said:
Epi said:

TC could do that ;)

Well obviously TC would be first choice if money was no object but he's gone and re-signed with the Tahs....

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Epi said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssL8LTZ1VWw

Surprisingly I've never heard his name raised. It would be a great signing but he would probably have a steep asking price.

I'd still love to see both Tapuais sign and occasionally play as a center combo. It would be a good nod to the Victorian Rugby community.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

I've been following him at Toulon for the last couple of years. Good player - very physical centre at the peak of his powers at 27yo.. It is surprising his name hasn't come up....

Take that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CogHwxEuozo

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

If his name hasn't be raised by a media desperate for something to write about I doubt he is coming back. Not this year at least.

The return of the famous Kefu family sounds exactly like something rugbyheaven would jump all over, even if just for a one shot article. It probably isn't on the cards.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)

Kefu re-signed last month with Toulon until 2012.

Rodney Blake (prop, Bayonne), David Te Moana (prop, Agen) Alistair Campbell (second row, Montpellier) and Lachlan MacKay (centre, good season at Brive) are out of contract. Scott Daruda (10 or 12, Agen) has already been released. AJ Whalley (prop, Dax) should be released too. Nic Berry (Racing) is also out of contract but i don't think Rebels need another scrum-half.

In United Kingdom i know Peter Hewat is out of contract and he won't be kept by London Irish. Sam Norton-Knight should be released by Cardiff too.

Other players available : Llyod Johansson (centre), Chris Siale (centre), Ben White (back row).

C

CanadianRugby

Wouldn't be unhappy to see Lachlan McKay back.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

jauzy19 said:

Rodney Blake (prop, Bayonne), David Te Moana (prop, Agen) Alistair Campbell (second row, Montpellier) and Lachlan MacKay (centre, good season at Brive) are out of contract. Scott Daruda (10 or 12, Agen) has already been released. AJ Whalley (prop, Dax) should be released too. Nic Berry (Racing) is also out of contract but i don't think Rebels need another scrum-half.

In United Kingdom i know Peter Hewat is out of contract and he won't be kept by London Irish. Sam Norton-Knight should be released by Cardiff too.

Other players available : Llyod Johansson (centre), Chris Siale (centre), Ben White (back row).

Apart from Mackay and Berry, I don't think any of those guys would add to the Rebels roster.

U

Utility Back

Please keep SNK from aus rugby please.
Please

Cyril Towers (30)

en_force_er said:
Interesting. Apparently Coridas is Victorian born. Not sure how long he lived here but since I'm campaigning for as many people with an ounce of Victorian in them to play in the Rebels squad it would be nice to see him there.

People in the know, is he any good?

http://www.waratahs.com.au/HSBCWaratahs/PlayerProfiles/BenCoridas.aspx

I've seen a bit of him play at schoolboy level and a bit for Eastwood over the last couple of years. He's big and very mobile and hits very hard. A real tough nut 6 or 8 who is also good at lineout time. Unfortunately has had a bad run with injuries (including a shoulder recon IIRR). He has certainly not set the world on fire with the JWs this year and has usually been on the bench. I think he has a lot of potential if he can stary injury free.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Cutter said:
jauzy19 said:

Apart from Mackay and Berry, I don't think any of those guys would add to the Rebels roster.

I think Alistair Campbell (experience) and Daruda (utility) have something to bring to the side.

Particularly Campbell as the Rebels are lacking in locks and will need 4 or 5.

You wouldn't need Daruda if you got MacKay though. MacKay would fill the same role in the squad but is a slightly better player.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

topo said:
en_force_er said:
Interesting. Apparently Coridas is Victorian born. Not sure how long he lived here but since I'm campaigning for as many people with an ounce of Victorian in them to play in the Rebels squad it would be nice to see him there.

People in the know, is he any good?

http://www.waratahs.com.au/HSBCWaratahs/PlayerProfiles/BenCoridas.aspx

I've seen a bit of him play at schoolboy level and a bit for Eastwood over the last couple of years. He's big and very mobile and hits very hard. A real tough nut 6 or 8 who is also good at lineout time. Unfortunately has had a bad run with injuries (including a shoulder recon IIRR). He has certainly not set the world on fire with the JWs this year and has usually been on the bench. I think he has a lot of potential if he can stary injury free.
Have to agree with your assessment of him as a schoolboy Topo. I thought he would be the goods by now and one of the young up and comers that everyone talks about, but if he has had major injuries then no wonder I haven't heard a lot of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.