• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Lindommer said:
Blue said:
Why Cip at 15? He's a 10, no?

Yer right, Blue, he is a 10. But he's been signed to play fullback. Any questions, ask Rod Macqueen.

Should be interesting. I believe he has never been filmed making a tackle.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Blue said:
Lindommer said:
Blue said:

Yer right, Blue, he is a 10. But he's been signed to play fullback. Any questions, ask Rod Macqueen.

His first cap was at 15. He has played 15 almost as much as 10.

It isn't as outlandish as some people would suggest.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

en_force_er said:
Blue said:
Lindommer said:
Blue said:

His first cap was at 15. He has played 15 almost as much as 10.

It isn't as outlandish as some people would suggest.

He probably is capable of playing fullback. But i dont see any decent 10's on the cards for them now after hangers and barnes stayed. Pretty sure he'll be playing 10 now.

I love lealiifano and the brumbies, But i hope he signs and gets a regular starting spot, either at 12, 10, 15 in that order. That way it will free up some space for To'omua at the brumbies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

louie said:
When did salvi sign?

no one has signed other than Cips. But he is one of the ones 'strongly rumoured' to have.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Bruce Ross said:
Hawko said:
Has anyone heard more on Palmer? This is crucial for the Tah's future and the Wallabies. He's the next great long term (50 test) prop.

I presume you mean after Weeks, Hawko, which means he might have a long wait. A huge advantage that Laurie has over Dan is his efficiency around the park.

Coming round to your way of thinking Brucie. Palmer was a bit of a pot plant for the JWs against the Runners yesterday and Weeks fizzes aroung the park as he did at Joeys.

I don't mind Palmer going to Melbourne if he gets more game time. He held his own at Carisbrook 2 years ago as a teenager and got 4 games from the bench last year, but for the sake of his development above club level he can't be warehoused. If Palmer goes Paddy Ryan from your mob may be able to step up to his 4th string prop squad at the Tahs, but he, like Palmer, was sucking in the seagulls at Knox yesterday.

Arguably Palmer is the better scrummager, I'll leave for others to judge, but Weeks side of the scrum isn't too shabby, is it? And starting regularly in the Super14 and being a couple of years older will give him a big lead over Palmer when the time comes. Nevertheless any young THPs future will be defined by scrummaging prowess. The day we select THPs on their ability in open play is the same day our recent scrummaging improvement will stop.

I liked the look of another of your Uni boys yesterday too - prop Jono Owen for the Runners. He's a goer. Uni must have had a team of 2nd/3rds/Colts in that national championship game like the one the Runners thrashed at Viking Park before the Super14. The 1st grade team and some of the Twos all seem to be all locked up S14 squads.

This is the Melbourne thread? Excuuuuse me.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

One Uni bloke that the Rebels - and the Force - should be looking at, Lee, is hooker Ben Roberts. He has had a massive off-season in the gym and will be transformed as a player. Disappointed at your report of him over-throwing yesterday. Of course there are four blokes involved in a successful throw; the hooker, jumper and two lifters. In any case, that's a problem that can soon be solved.

Not your typical Uni forward, Ben is a real cattle dog; he'd sooner fight than fornicate; and now he has the strength and power to really back it up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

please tell me Tom Carter isn't fornicating.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Noddy said:
please tell me Tom Carter isn't fornicating.

Where did that one come from, Noddy? Certainly not with Ben Roberts.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Bruce Ross said:
One Uni bloke that the Rebels - and the Force - should be looking at, Lee, is hooker Ben Roberts. He has had a massive off-season in the gym and will be transformed as a player. Disappointed at your report of him over-throwing yesterday. Of course there are four blokes involved in a successful throw; the hooker, jumper and two lifters. In any case, that's a problem that can soon be solved.

Can it? If you know the secret then please let Foley, Williams and all other forward coaches in on the secret.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)

Stirling Mortlock's manager has met with the ARU to secure further funding for Mortlock to possibly move from the Brumbies to new franchise Melbourne Rebels.
Not really breaking news but possibly relevant....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Round 1: Reds got totally dusted in the scrum. Last year Palmer played four games and you could not notice any difference in the Waratah scrum performance at all.

THP's in my book are picked for scrummaging prowess first and then trained to perform in the tight. Fizzing round the field gets them noticed by the crowd but its not what you pick them for.

I am hoping Palmer played at LHP yesterday so that he could get some experience and cover both positions from the bench for the Tahs. We'll see. At least the Palmer to the B's rumours appear to have died down.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

the gambler said:
Bruce Ross said:

Can it? If you know the secret then please let Foley, Williams and all other forward coaches in on the secret.

I was talking specifically, gambler, about overthrows. And also in relation to a hooker who to my knowledge hasn't previously had a problem there.

T

TOCC

Hawko said:
Round 1: Reds got totally dusted in the scrum. Last year Palmer played four games and you could not notice any difference in the Waratah scrum performance at all.

THP's in my book are picked for scrummaging prowess first and then trained to perform in the tight. Fizzing round the field gets them noticed by the crowd but its not what you pick them for.

I am hoping Palmer played at LHP yesterday so that he could get some experience and cover both positions from the bench for the Tahs. We'll see. At least the Palmer to the B's rumours appear to have died down.

mate you really need to take those blue tinged glasses off

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Hawko said:

In my opinion, which I expressed at the time, the poor performance of the Reds' scrum in Round 1 had nothing to do with deficiencies on either side of the front row but with those behind them. The coach had his pack very much focussed on French style intimidation rather than giving weight, a strategy which almost won them the game.

Weeks is the most technically proficient tight head in Australia. What he does around the park is an extra.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Who cares who is better or worse guys? We have to take the long view that there will be a couple of youngish THPs around to go into the frame with Alexander after the RWC - and if I am a good judge of a THP - and I'm not - PAE won't be too far behind.

Fat Cat and Kepu will be around then too on the LH side and hopefully Holmes will continue his comeback.

Meantime we will look at Ma'afu.

Injuries and over-hyping guys is always a danger but on the face of it I trust we can say post RWC: -"We never had it so good."

T

TOCC

last i heard PAE was considering a sojourn in France...

I also hear that he has one of the biggest bench presses in the Reds squad at 150kg...

C

chief

TOCC said:
last i heard PAE was considering a sojourn in France...

I also hear that he has one of the biggest bench presses in the Reds squad at 150kg...

Your PAE source is lies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

alright so no actual news today? this is a bit of a stir up then

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Reds bye this week. They will have some free time. Probably recovery today, free day tomorrow, at which time I would suggest Weeks and Byrnes and Kingi (assuming reports are accurate) will be flown down for the photo op.

Status
Not open for further replies.