• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

I was just looking at my list last October of players who could realistically be available for the Rebels.

Of those mentioned above:

Feier - I had him as my captain. He had just been injured again in club footie and I thought he would be released by the Tahs for 2011 as damaged goods but be of outstanding value to a new team on and off the park, much like a Whitaker type would have been for the Force then.

Winger: I had Betham down too. He was no great shakes for the JWs yesterday but he had a good game in the Shute Shield Grand Final and was terrific in a S14 trial not long ago at Viking Park. Better on the wing I think.

I'd swear that I had Lachlan Mitchell's name down but I didn't. Must have forgotten him. He's looked good in the NH (but so did Rory Sidey.)

I had Tim Davidson down too but not Sam Cordingley - wow - I think I went to school with him. They should nab Brendan McKibbin as pronto as possible as 1st stringer. He was on my list too.

I had Carter down as a 12 after he was discarded by the Tahs. Wrong.

I had lock Kane Douglas down also as an alternate as he was only in the pro academy at that stage, but I think the Tahs may want to keep him. Maybe the Rebels will take lock Thomson off our hands instead, and we'll throw in Tilse FOC.

There are already a few players coming from the NH and I'd warrant that there will be more coming home for 2012 also as their contracts expire. Therefore, like Mitchell did at the Force, Macqueen will be offering more 1 year deals than is normal for a Super squad. By May 2011 he will have a fair idea whom of the 1 year specials are worth keeping for 2012 and will be signing up folks for black holes in a more orderly manner than was possible for the 2011 tranche.

Year 1 will be tough though, no doubt about it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Noddy said:
Delve is in question now as he's been called up to the national team.

He's played for Wales before but not for a while. He's been good enough in the few games I have seen of Gloucester this season but you wouldn't have thought he was 6N starting material.

It must have been a bit of a nice shock to be called up to start. He had probably thought that he had no chance to make the 2011 RWC squad with Ryan Jones and Adam Powell ahead of him; so, yes, it could be a factor in deciding whether to come to Melbourne or not. He'd have to stay and play 6N in 2011 to be picked for the RWC but there's no guarantee that he will be. He's not a Powell or a Jones.

I watched him in the Ireland game yesterday and he didn't have an impact on the game. He's not a bruiser like a Palu or Easter in style, more like the fine Italian no. 8, Parisse: a skills player. Didn't have a big work rate but a one test sample is not a great measure of a player.

T

TOCC

chief said:
TOCC said:
last i heard PAE was considering a sojourn in France...

I also hear that he has one of the biggest bench presses in the Reds squad at 150kg...

Your PAE source is lies.

in which deapartment, a few weeks ago i heard from a very reliable bshs related source that PAE was flirting with the idea of playing rugby in France for a year or so, ultimately it would probably be the best thing for him, however he wasnt convinced on leaving home just yet

Cyril Towers (30)

Hawko said:
Has anyone heard more on Palmer? This is crucial for the Tah's future and the Wallabies. He's the next great long term (50 test) prop.

I hear Palmer may going to the Brumbies. Sick of not getting any game time at the tahs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

what needs to be clarified is what has happened to his contract. All reports seem to indicate that he signed a 3 year contract keeping him Tah'ed up (see what I did there?) to NSW until next year.

Can we assume that NSW have agreed to release him or was their an option on the last year? Both situations seem very very odd.

Cyril Towers (30)

Sounds like Reds Academy Centre Ben Tapuai is heading down there. What happened to the du Plessis boys from the Shorks? They sounded like they were certainties a week ago.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

fuck. We're getting pillaged again.

oh well, stiff upper lip, all for the good of Australian Rugby (grumble grumble)

D

David

Noddy said:
fuck. We're getting pillaged again.

oh well, stiff upper lip, all for the good of Australian Rugby (grumble grumble)

I'll be throwing computer screens and keyboards if we get raped and pillaged again.

Cyril Towers (30)

Agree with Bruce about Ben Roberts. He has had a big off season and is your typical "mongrel" hooker. Loves a scrap and NEVER takes a backward step. Line out throwing remains a problem, though. I thought the scrums at the Junior tahs v Runners game were fascinating. Runners had big Jerry, Huia Edmonds and Guy Shepherdson against Palmer (playing out of position at LHP), Roberts and Paddy Ryan. On paper you would favour the Runners front row, but I think the tahs got the better of them. Palmer was very impressive at LHP against Shepherdson and the battle between Jerry and Ryan was a ripper. Unfortunately Palmer only played 40 (? ankle injury) but Ofa had his best game so far this year in the 2nd half. Jono Owen was good around the park for the Runners but struggled at scrum time against Ofa. At least 6 good props on show, though, and you would think the Rebels would pick up 1or 2 of them. Especially when 3 of them play for Uni and will be getting calls from Damian Hill and Davo.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

topo said:
Sounds like Reds Academy Centre Ben Tapuai is heading down there. What happened to the du Plessis boys from the Shorks? They sounded like they were certainties a week ago.

Surely they won't sign up in a World Cup year and impact their Bok aspirations?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

Noddy said:
what needs to be clarified is what has happened to his contract. All reports seem to indicate that he signed a 3 year contract keeping him Tah'ed up (see what I did there?) ................

oh, i saw what you did there....

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Bruce Ross said:
Weeks is the most technically proficient tight head in Australia. What he does around the park is an extra.

*ahem* Support of your clubmates goes a long way Bruce, but here I can assure you that you have over-reached yourself.

Weeks would be rated no higher than third in the technical scrummaging stakes, and probably fourth behind Palmer (the kid is that good - Benn Robinson good).

I thought Weeks was quite good until he got dusted by Henderson (HENDERSON FFS!). Blame the second rowers for not pushing if you like, but Henderson got the hit on Weeks, and while Laurie took it nicely, he buckled noticeably once the power came through.

And that power was only being delivered by Sharpe and Wykes who aren't exactly powerhouse units at scrum time (though he has improved old Darth). Maybe Hendo just had the right game, but to me Weeks looked like he was being overpowered and out-thought. Hendo showed a bit of nous but it was basic stuff - head in the bread basket, lock down the shoulder and drive up. Weeks had no answers.

Compared to the mullering the Reds handed out to the Force for long periods in other, less-important areas of the game, their scrum was utter shite, and it was Weeks' side copping the worst of it.

Shit, even Ma'afu looked better on the weekend against the Shorks and against the Beast who is no slouch (but a little overrated for his around-the-park play).

I still think the old dog Baxter has still got the technique and strength factor over most of the pups, but with more nous. Alexander has really impressed me with his rate of improvement over 12 months in what is a very difficult position. Weeks has showed some great work at scrum time, but also some very ordinary work too.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)

French hooker Mathieu Blin (32 yo, Stade Français) is also in talks with the Rebels.

Source is Blin himself.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Apologies if this is getting off topic, but I assume Palmer has been going up against Robinson at training so Foley at least in the Tah's set-up will have a good line on how he is going this year. Anyone going OK against Robinson gets my vote as a very desirable starter at S14 level. But then, maybe that's why he can't get a start. But if I was looking to build a new team, he'd be my choice at THP.

T

tranquility

who has the hot tip on Tapuai going south? while I wouldn't be surprised - it would be a terrible loss for queensland.
He is ready for super rugby as it stands, and is one of those players who could be anything - very balanced.

In regards to the prop discussion - say no to Baxter.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

tranquility said:
who has the hot tip on Tapuai going south?

More like coming back south. Yes yes, him and his brother are just as much Qlders as Victorians but he is still a good quality player who one could call Victorian.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

jauzy19 said:
French hooker Mathieu Blin (32 yo, Stade Français) is also in talks with the Rebels.

3rd string behind Kayser and Szarzewski would you say j19, and ahead of Laurent?

Send us down your ST hooker Servat j19 - we'll take him for a year or two. Melbourne will need a few hard heads.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ys-nsws-offcontract-freier-20100315-q9rg.html

Melbourne Rebels jumping the gun, says NSW's off-contract Freier
GREG GROWDEN
March 16, 2010

The Melbourne Rebels' plan to shortly unveil Adam Freier as their first high-profile Australian signing has hit a snag with the former Waratahs captain yesterday saying he was nowhere near deciding where he will play next year.

Freier admitted to being surprised that his name was revealed as being top of a list of players set to be announced as joining the Rebels in the coming days.

The other Australian players linked to the Rebels are prop Laurie Weeks, second-rower Adam Byrne and halfback Richard Kingi from the Queensland Reds, NSW Academy winger Peter Betham, former Waratahs forward Tim Davidson, former Wallaby halfback Sam Cordingley and former Waratahs utility back Lachlan Mitchell.

While admitting he had talked to Rebels officials, Freier yesterday stressed he was a long way from deciding whether to move to Melbourne, stay with the Waratahs or head overseas. While the Waratahs yesterday said they wanted to keep Freier, the Western Force, who are struggling to field competent front-rowers this season, is another option for the 29-year-old Wallaby hooker.

''Like every person who is coming off contract, I have spoken to the Rebels,'' Freier told the Herald yesterday. ''And I have definitely entertained the thought [of going to Melbourne]. But as far as signing with the Rebels, well I've had nothing given to me in writing. I've yet to talk to the ARU, I've yet to talk to NSW, who have stood by me for nine years, and especially over the past 12 months, when they have been unbelievable.

''As far as I'm concerned there is a reasonable amount of faith there that I need to repay. Everyone knows how much I love the Waratahs and being that sort of person, there's no way I'd do a car-park deal off the cuff without going to NSW and at least consulting with them.''

Freier, who is scheduled to return to the field in several weeks following back surgery, said he was appreciative of the Waratahs' support while he has been sidelined.

''It is disappointing that there has been a lot of colour involved with this story. But at the end of the day, every person who is coming off contract is going to be a possibility of joining the Rebels,'' Freier said.

''I'm negotiating with no one at the moment … and I will have a conversation with the ARU this week. I still do think I have a lot to offer rugby, on and off the field. There is also the temptation to go overseas, but at the moment I just don't know.''

NSW Rugby Union chief executive Jim L'Estrange was as intrigued by the Rebels' list.

''From our understanding, a few of those names aren't as close as the Rebels would like you to believe,'' he said. ''You would expect Adam to be pretty transparent, as he is a Waratah through and through, and our understanding is that no decision has been reached one way or another.

''And we are very keen for Adam to stay … [hooker] is a position that you need depth and experience in … with an expanded Super competition, you will need a lot of cool heads. So we'd like Adam to be with us.''

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)

Lee Grant said:
jauzy19 said:

3rd string behind Kayser and Szarzewski would you say j19, and ahead of Laurent?

Send us down your ST hooker Servat j19 - we'll take him for a year or two. Melbourne will need a few hard heads.
Even Laurent Sempere is ahead of him, so he's the 4th choice at the moment but he was the first choice in the early 2000s, he's past his best now.

Regarding Servat DON'T TOUCH ! :nono ;D

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

OK - send us your namesake Jauzion instead. We'll find a spot for him somewhere. Poitrenaud is having a good season too, we'll take him off your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.