• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianRugby

So aside from the awfulness of the Jersey, this release actually got me excited about Rebels rugby again. Unfortunately the season is so far away, but I can't wait.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

agree, doesn't look too bad there:

rebels_jones_main-420x0.jpg

T

TOCC

that photo shoot was done on mortlock a couple of weeks back, the jersey didnt fit and his not exactly the most photogenic person out there, im going to wait for a better look, like mentioned already, it doesnt look to bad in the above photo. At least they can claim that it is completely unique.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Apart from the novelty Tuxedo T-shirt look of it :tard , is anyone lese puzzled by Morty's new emaciated look?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I quite like it in that photo above.

Either way I am pretty excited for their debut game.

C

CanadianRugby

So in my pre-rebel excitment, I was looking forward to watching the Cant/Hawke's Bay game so I could see Luke Rooney play some Union. I hadn't seen any of him in league and only a few youtube clips from France. I have to ask, what's the big deal with this guy? He wasn't bad, particularly, but he didn't excite me. He rarely beat his first man, his kicking was merely average and I didn't see and great defense, just making the tackles he should. I realize he is a league convert, so the tackle kicking might take a while to develop, but from the hype about him, surely he should at least be an above average runner? Can someone who has watched him more than me help me out here? Is he fantastic and had an off game or is he just not that special?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
You and I would agree Reddy! that this new Rebels outfit will look appropriately subdued against our Reds' equivalent.

I was going to add that 4 out of the 5 Australian teams have predominately blue (of one shade or the other) uniforms. The Reds being the only trend setters, wearing all Red.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In case they thought that Huxley, Rooney, Cipriani, Betham, Gerrard and Hilgendorf didn't provide them enough fullback options, Richard Kingi has been playing fullback for his club side of late.

I think the Rebels have 15 covered! Not for the other 14 positions.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hey all, long time no speak. Straight into some Rebel related points.

The Rebs have redone their website. It looks preety swanky, certainly much more accessible then the rabble the Tahs have set up. It's layout also allows for more expansion, namely I expect to see more than just "newsletter" listed under the fans tab. All in all I am happy with the progress.

But onto what I really wanted to talk about. The Rebs have listed all their player profiles here. Underneath all the profiles they have listed the players' primary position (which is interesting). Something to take into account with this list is that this is an early website build and the fact that it only lists a player.s primary position. However, discounting this, a few points of note from this page are:
  • Cipriani is listed as a Flyhalf and not a Fullback. When he was originally signed he was touted as a Fullback (so this is notable).
  • Davidson listed as an Openside. He is a Utility Loosey but this shows what they primarily consider him as.
  • Delve listed as a Blindside (however, no squad players are listed as Number 8s)
  • Saffy listed as a Blindside rather than an Openside, perhaps this shows the direction they want the former League player's career to take. This is notable as I believe when he played Union he was a Prop come Number 8 / Opensider. I guess this reflects the difference between the professional game and schoolboys.
  • Betham listed as a FB, however once again nobody is listed as a wing.
  • Tessman listed as a Hooker and not a Prop. I believe that whilst he is primarily a Hooker he has been playing Prop in Qld prem this year.
  • Huxley listed as a center (quite odd). Hux is certainly no professional Center (Inside or Out) in my eyes.
  • Chamberlain, traditionally a big Burger like Openside, is listed as a Blindside.
  • Jones listed as a Lock, rather than a Blindside.
  • Strangely no players are listed as Wings or Number 8s. Also, no distinction is made between LH and TH prop or Inside and Outside Center but there is a distinction made between Open and Blindside Flanker. However, like I said above this is probably to do with the profiles being in early days.
  • They have left the players' club section blank. Perhaps they just haven't done a ring around to find out what Qld or NSW clubs they align themselves with OR perhaps this is where the Vic club they align themselves with will go (the whole one club, school, business and charity thing).

Maybe I'm pulling something from nothing but these little clues have got me all fired up.

T

TOCC

They probably just have some melbournite with little to no knowledge of rugby, I doubt Rod Maqueen will be wanting all if his secrets out of the closet so far ahead of the season. The full squad is yet to even assemble for a training session.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They probably just have some melbournite with little to no knowledge of rugby, I doubt Rod Maqueen will be wanting all if his secrets out of the closet so far ahead of the season. The full squad is yet to even assemble for a training session.

I doubt someone at least slightly in the know didn't dictate what they wanted written to the website developer.

What position a player plays isn't going to be some big game-changing secret, the website is done as a service to fans rather than to throw your adversaries off your tactical trail.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Strangely no players are listed as Wings or Number 8s.

I hope Gerrard returns to the left wing he played his best rugby there, best hole runner since Graham Bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.