• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just googled this guy and it seems in the last two years he has sought to be released from his Penrith contract, signed a new deal and pledged his lifelong devotion to the club, and is now shopping around in Rugby.

No thanks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NRL running forwards may become quite useful in rugby the way the rules are developing.

Someone with the skills to get effective go forward from static ball could be bloody handy

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good, we don't need mercs after dollars with criminal records.

Cooper may not have played rugby since he was 15 but at least he has a clean record and is a proven contributer to the Newcastle (and soon Melbourne) community.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well, I spoke too soon.

Still to quote the article....
Three references and an email to Knight's coach Brian Smith were tendered to the court.

The references spoke in glowing terms about Vuna's involvement with his church, club and disadvantaged children.

So he isn't all bad, certainly proved himself a dil but didn't go out and get into fisty-cuffs.

EDIT: My point about him having a union history is still just as strong though.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What is it about rugby (or soon to be rugby) players driving around unlicensed this year. Especially if the name Cooper appears somewhere in their name.

Also, on a side note, is there any chance of having the Rebels logo updated?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I posted this briefly on another thread but I think it belongs here.

We've secured 30 of our 33 strong playing roster with the players (and their families) arriving from all over the world in late September in readiness for the the official training camp in the first week of October.

This is a quote from the Rebels' membership Update send out today.

Looks like they planning to have a really big squad, perhaps this is to make up for not having an established pro academy set-up yet.

Also, with camp starting in only a few weeks perhaps we can expect the final signings sooner rather than later? If the article RugbyReg posted on the Oz S15 Squads 2011 thread is accurate, perhaps Beau Robinson will be one of them.

Interesting.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well there you go.

Hmm, who will the last 3 spots go too? I'm curious.

Hopefully they name whoever get's given the award for the best player in Vic 1st Grade this year to shake things up, even if it's only a 1 year contract and he doesn't play any games.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Well there you go.

Hmm, who will the last 3 spots go too? I'm curious.

Hopefully they name whoever get's given the award for the best player in Vic 1st Grade this year to shake things up, even if it's only a 1 year contract and he doesn't play any games.

Im 99% sure that won't happen unfortunetly. We are talking professional sport here and it's a matter of fact that none of the players the player has played against are professionals... Maybe next season's best player...?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Melbourne is an attractive city to live in, you'd be surprised how many people in the comp have played in the lower levels of professional rugby at some point.

Also, there are many young, up-and-coming Victorians floating around other comps playing professional/semi-professional rugby. Like the blindsider Grey for Eastern Suburbs or the hooker Uglia for Northern Suburbs (I think?).

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Melbourne is an attractive city to live in, you'd be surprised how many people in the comp have played in the lower levels of professional rugby at some point.

Also, there are many young, up-and-coming Victorians floating around other comps playing professional/semi-professional rugby. Like the blindsider Grey for Eastern Suburbs or the hooker Uglia for Northern Suburbs (I think?).

Yeah those guys might be a better option. Ulugia is with Southern Districts.

T

TOCC

they should cast there eyes over the Melbourne Storm U20 side, allegedly 50% of them are now Melbourne raised kids

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I respectfully disagree TOCC.

Right now there are 2 blokes who played Aussie U18s last year running around the Vic rugger scene (and one or two more in Canberra I think) and a few more that played combined states recently (when it was actually combined states).

The standard and set-up of Vic union is of a much higher quality than Vic league. Also, Storm U20s had a shocking year.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
[video=youtube;nLVayeX82P4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVayeX82P4[/video]

may i suggest someone who played with paddy mccabe at school....

Status
Not open for further replies.