• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I respectfully disagree TOCC.

Right now there are 2 blokes who played Aussie U18s last year running around the Vic rugger scene (and one or two more in Canberra I think) and a few more that played combined states recently (when it was actually combined states).

The standard and set-up of Vic union is of a much higher quality than Vic league. Also, Storm U20s had a shocking year.

You are going to need more then 4 players to fill out the Rebels Academy...

You would be silly to ignore the Storm, 6 of there U20 players have rugby union heritage, a few who also played in the VRU prior to been picked up by league..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, he was in the Brumby Academy this year but not signed as yet, as far as I know. He's apparently playing some very good footy over there.

Cyril Towers (30)
yep, he was in the Brumby Academy this year but not signed as yet, as far as I know. He's apparently playing some very good footy over there.

He certainly looks to have bulked up from that video. He was playing 3rd grade at Uni last year!!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Rebels appear to have a problem at Hooker, with it looking more likely that AF will need further surgery on his back. Is his playing career over, a real pity for him if this signals the end as he would have been looking forward to being a foundation member of the Rebels side like Sharpie has been for the Force.

I am sure that all here would wish Adam the best of luck if indeed he does need more surgery.

R

Red Rooster

The Rebels appear to have a problem at Hooker, with it looking more likely that AF will need further surgery on his back. Is his playing career over, a real pity for him if this signals the end as he would have been looking forward to being a foundation member of the Rebels side like Sharpie has been for the Force.

I am sure that all here would wish Adam the best of luck if indeed he does need more surgery.

Its good his journalism career is taking off as he is sounding less than likely to be a regular on the field

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So does his contract get severed or does he become a financial liability?

There are plenty of good Aussie hookers about, isn't that Roberts fellow from Uni without a S15 contract? Perhaps Hanson could get a release from his Reds contract, he was a big colt figure in Victoria in the days of the ARC Rebels.

Even if you want to go Victorian (and it's my opinion you should) you've got Uglia and that other fellow (called something like Ole Avei?).

Still... we would be without a truly experienced campaigner, this would be an issue. Do we have any foreign player spots left?

R

Red Rooster

There are plenty of good Aussie hookers about, isn't that Roberts fellow from Uni without a S15 contract? Perhaps Hanson could get a release from his Reds contract, he was a big colt figure in Victoria in the days of the ARC Rebels.

Even if you want to go Victorian (and it's my opinion you should) you've got Uglia and that other fellow (called something like Ole Avei?).

Still... we would be without a truly experienced campaigner, this would be an issue. Do we have any foreign player spots left?

Financial Liability is the answer - thats what happens when you sign players with injuries - you accept the risk There are not as many hookers as you think Hanson has just signed a two year contract so I doubt the Reds are just going to hand him over, Ole Avei is playing o/s and Ulugia is having reconstructive surgery. They are looking at some kiwi hooker I have never heard of

T

TOCC

Why would the Reds release Hanson?
He is the reserve hooker behind Fainga'a, also why would he go to the Rebels, he is already on a full contract in QLD

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Financial Liability is the answer - thats what happens when you sign players with injuries - you accept the risk There are not as many hookers as you think Hanson has just signed a two year contract so I doubt the Reds are just going to hand him over, Ole Avei is playing o/s and Ulugia is having reconstructive surgery. They are looking at some kiwi hooker I have never heard of

The other one is to sign Siliva Siliva. He is on an academy contract at the Force, but is Victorian. Having said that, he wont be the starting hooker so they may need to find someone who can be.
And what is Luke Holmes up to these days? He has S14 experience. He isnt a great player but could be a handy back up as well.

Cyril Towers (30)

There are plenty of good Aussie hookers about, isn't that Roberts fellow from Uni without a S15 contract?

I hear on the grapevine that a lot of the older players signed by the Rebels have clauses in their contracts that say the contract is void if they are considered not fit enough to train by the contract start date on 1 Nov. That may explain why some of them have been reluctant to play Shute Shield footy.

IMO Ben Roberts would be a great signing and I think the Rebels have had talks with him. He is a good scrummager and a very physical player. His one weakness is his line out throwing, but hopefully that's fixable if he becomes a full time pro instead of a landscaper by day part time rugby player.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hear on the grapevine that a lot of the older players signed by the Rebels have clauses in their contracts that say the contract is void if they are considered not fit enough to train by the contract start date on 1 Nov. That may explain why some of them have been reluctant to play Shute Shield footy.

IMO Ben Roberts would be a great signing and I think the Rebels have had talks with him. He is a good scrummager and a very physical player. His one weakness is his line out throwing, but hopefully that's fixable if he becomes a full time pro instead of a landscaper by day part time rugby player.

It's definitely fixable if Frier hangs around to coach him!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Frier would have been great as a scrummaging and general tight forward coach but they've already got Ben Darwin for that.

Ahh, can't believe I forgot Siliva. Victoria sure does produce a whole lot of decent hookers for a small province.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Shame they did'nt pick up Ole Avei. He had some big rapts on him but never got to really prove himself in super rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Melbourne Rebels land former AFL boss Ross Oakley

* Leo Schlink
* September 09, 2010 4:00PM

FORMER AFL supremo Ross Oakley has been appointed chief executive officer of the Melbourne Rebels and the Victorian Rugby Union.

Oakley, 67, began work in the role today.

The former St Kilda footballer was AFL CEO from 1986-96.

Regarded as visionary at the AFL after establishing clubs in Queensland, WA and SA, Oakley took over from interim Rebels CEO Pat Wilson.

Wilson took over the job after founding CEO Brian Waldron was forced to resign due to his role in the Melbourne Storm salary cap scandal.

Oakley's appointment coincided with the Rebels joining forces with the VRU to build the sport’s future in Victoria.

The two groups signed a memorandum of understanding designed to deliver “unprecedented cooperation between the recreational and the privately owned professional levels of the game and ultimately drive the growth and popularity of rugby in the state".

Rebels chairman Harold Mitchell said Oakley’s experience was crucial.

“Ross fully understands the challenges of establishing a foundation club having overseen AFL’s expansion into Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide and Fremantle,” he said.

“We are very lucky to have someone with such experience at the helm for what is an exciting time for Rugby in Victoria.

“Importantly his dual role through the MOU will ensure that the recreational levels of rugby at school and club level will form a part of the overall Melbourne Rebels’ vision for Rugby in Victoria.

“Ross is fully supportive of our pursuit of excellence from the outset and our ambition to be innovative while at the same time being prepared to challenge the status quo both on and off the field, as the name Rebels suggests.”

Mitchell said Wilson would continue to be involved with the Rebels.

Oakley said: “I am delighted to be joining the Melbourne Rebels who have already recruited a world class coaching and playing staff, and developed a relationship and culture between the franchise and the Victorian rugby community based on mutual respect, transparency, cooperation and trust.

“As a result of the advent of the Rebels, rugby now as a truly national footprint in Australia and I firmly believe it has an enormous amount to offer our City and State.

“The Rebels will not only bring the exciting prospect of elite interstate rugby matches to Melbourne but importantly, as Super Rugby is an international competition, the Rebels provide Melbourne with its first ever international team.

"It's a team we can be really proud of supporting.”

T

TOCC

Shame they did'nt pick up Ole Avei. He had some big rapts on him but never got to really prove himself in super rugby.

well not really, he never really set the world alight in the NZ comp when he signed over there, he went well at club level, but thats because he was surprisingly fast, a good ball runner and had good hands for a hooker. His set piece work wasnt really that crash hot.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
well not really, he never really set the world alight in the NZ comp when he signed over there, he went well at club level, but thats because he was surprisingly fast, a good ball runner and had good hands for a hooker. His set piece work wasnt really that crash hot.

He was never strong in the set peice but he has was always good around the field for sunnybank. Realistically he would only have been an academy standard at best, and for a guy of his age thats probibly not a viable option so best of luck to him overseas.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sisn't that Roberts fellow from Uni without a S15 contract?

Agree with topo: he'd be the fellow I'd pick. He's hard as nails and I wouldn't hesitate to put him on in a Super game because he shares the hooking duties with Nathan Charles at Sydney Uni and they don't have too many duds. They should try to get hold of young Siliva too for their academy. He's a big lad and looks like he has the makings to be a professional player down the track.

If they need someone just for next year they could do worse than getting Nio Halangahu who is playing for the EP Kings in the Currie Cup. He'll be 30 next year but he's street smart and has been a Randwick stalwart for years.

I've lost track: are Tessman and Freier their only contracted hookers? The only others guys they could hire are leftovers not wanted elsewhere. There could be a couple of goodies playing in the Currie Cup or NPC who could be interested in the Rebels for next year in the hope that some S15 team from their own country will notice them for 2012.

The Rebels had better pull their fingers out though. If Freier is crocked all they have is Tessman and I don't know him at all.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Still I'd like to say it's still a big if, I haven't seen anything to confirm Adam's injury.

If it was me I would have picked Siliva instead of Tessman to begin with. I mean, I don't know a think about Tessman and Macqueen doesn't pick many duds but it seems to me that if you have the chance to blood a Victorian, you take that chance with open arms.

I'd die a little on the inside if this team becomes a corporate entity with no links to local talent like the Storm are.

T

tranquility

Woah woah woah. Siliva is a good footballer, and could potentially be a very good senior player but he is not up to having a senior contract at this stage. Tessman is a big boy with incredible athletic ability who does some amazing stuff on the rugby field. He may not have played any senior rugby for QLD, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have. While I agree if Frier is injured, the Rebels badly need another established hooker but Tessman is a much more viable option at this stage than Siliva.

Status
Not open for further replies.