• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
When I was working on the piece on Robbie Deans' tenure as Wallaby coach so far, I looked at the records of the Wallaby coaches from the last 30 years. We all know Deans currently sits in bottom position in terms of win/loss, but the really remarkable thing is how far ahead of everyone Rod MacQueen is. Add to that his success with the start-up Brumbies, and he looks like the most important recruit by far. I am very excited by the prospect of MacQueen returning to coaching - many people put his success down to the great players he had to work with, so I am keen for him to strut his stuff with a less than superstar roster (I expect him to do great things).

Yes, and maybe, at long last put some arse-biting pressure on the other mediocre coaching we see in the Australian S14. Let's face it, we are struggling to get into the top 4, a Final win was long-ago, and the Tahs are the only team _just_ able to get over the top 4 bar. This is nowhere near acceptable or good enough. And let's recall, aside from the Reds, 2010's gate numbers/$s continued to decline over a prior 5 year period. The economics of the Australian S14 are not in great shape as a result.

I understand that GAGR is a place where the general preference for debate is, largely, tactical player selection, who's good, who's not, etc. Commenting on recent wins and losses, etc.

Absolutely fair enough. But rugby team coaching, and what it is all about in some detail (and the many dimensions of excellence in elite coaching that go way, way, beyond just selection of a 22) is too little raised and debated here IMO. One almost feels no one's that interested in it (aside from the obvious Deans crisis, but even then, where he's really failing in detail - as distinct from general selection beefs - is not much discussed).

MacQueen's arrival and Link's renaissance may start to enforce a hard-edged debate about the real capabilities and track records of the other S15 lot. That prospect excites me too. I sense I may be in a small minority for saying this, but I believe major coaching upgrades are needed in many parts of our S15 system if we are going to start playing the type of rugby people want to see (even if we the tiny band of mad passionates have different views), and we can credibly aim to get 2 teams every year into the top 4 and win a Final every 3 years (which absolutely should be our objectives if rugby is to rebuild in Australia).

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Just back from the shitter where I noticed from one of Mrs Gaggers gossip mags that Kelly Brook has split from Danny Cipriani over his plans to move to Oz.

That's dedication from the fella - Rod better work wonders!

93746_KBbeachtopless189_123_581lo.JPG

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
eww.

what a step down:

Lindsay Lohan has been on two dates with a British rugby player in just 48hrs.

The actress celebrated her 24th birthday in Los Angeles last week, and was seen partying at exclusive nightspot The Tea Room with Danny Cipriani on Thursday. Just two days later, they were again seen out on the town together. The 22-year-old sportsman is currently single following his split from British star Kelly Brook earlier this year.

Danny and Lindsay met in June, when he was in California visiting American football stars. The pair were introduced at a party celebrating England’s FIFA World Cup soccer game against the USA on June 12. They got on well, even swapping numbers.

Danny is now back in America, again training with football stars. He hopes to pick up some tips on footwork from them.

While there, he has been spotted enjoying nights out with Lindsay, with one friend saying he “can’t get enough” of her.

However, Lindsay has also been linked to Eilat Anshel, who is a former member of the Israeli Defense Force. The pair have been friends for a while after meeting in Los Angeles, but according to reports their relationship has become more serious in recent weeks.

Lindsay is currently sporting an alcohol-monitoring SCRAM ankle bracelet in relation to her 2007 conviction for Driving Under the Influence. She has found wearing the court-ordered apparatus tough, and has been getting support from Eilat.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Du Plessis, Phipps and Pyle join the Melbourne Rebels
Tuesday, 06 July 2010 05:31

The Melbourne Rebels today announced the signing of three exciting young players in 19 year old JP Du Plessis from NRL team, Sydney Roosters, 21 year old Australian Sevens' back, Nicholas Phipps and 22 year old Hugh Pyle from the Brumbies Academy.

JP Du Plessis hails from South Africa where his performances on the rugby field caught the attention of national and international scouts resulting in recruitment by the Sydney Roosters. Looking for ways to develop his game, Du Plessis, considered a certainty for Springbok honours after his South African U18 appearance, chose to switch codes and move to Australia.

In commenting on his return to his first game, Du Plessis said,

"I miss rugby union, I've played it all my life and looking forward to playing it again. I've really enjoyed my experience with rugby league, but can't wait to play Super Rugby with the Melbourne Rebels."

Du Plessis's decision to move from South Africa has turned out well for the Rebels and assistant coach, Damien Hill is delighted with the addition.

"Just 19 years of age, JP has excellent foot work and acceleration. He's a balanced runner who plays inside and outside centre and wing."

Hugh Pyle comes to the Rebels from the Brumbies Academy where training and playing alongside ex-Wallabies like Justin Harrison and Julian Huxley, a fellow Rebel recruit has primed him for the exciting opportunity ahead in Melbourne.

Assistant coach, Mark Bakewell has great hopes for the young forward.

"Hugh comes to the Rebels as a player with enormous potential. He has all the physical and technical attributes to evolve as a star of the tight five in the Melbourne Rebels franchise and Australian Rugby . We are very pleased he has Melbourne to develop his talents." he said.

Nick Phipps competed in the IRB Sevens World Series after a strong year in 2009 captaining Sydney University's Premiership-winning 1st Colts team.

The Uni youngster made his Sevens debut during the season opener in Dubai and made the most of his opportunity, scoring a try and kicking eight conversions.

"Nick is a great product of the recent success of the Australian Sevens program and has been selected as a member of the Australian squad to compete at this year's Commonwealth Games," said assistant coach, Damien Hill.

"He demonstrates many of the attributes we have been targeting for our squad; athleticism, leadership skills and a desire to integrate into the Melbourne community."

Speaking about his move to Melbourne Phipps said,"I am very excited about joining the Melbourne Rebels and the opportunity playing in the new Super rugby side presents me. I'm very impressed with the way the club is structuring things and very much look forward to learning how to improve my game from Sam Cordingley, Richard Kingi and Julian Huxley."

T

TOCC

JP is a great signing, really fits in with the culture that Maqueen wants to establish

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Cipriati not looking quite the same, though. I'd line up for go on either of those ladies, but I hope he's keeping in shape.

D

daz

How does everyone rate Cipriani as a fit for S15? I've seen him do some pretty good stuff for Wasps which seems contrary his 3rd or 4th ranking in the Pom set-up, but I really wonder if the physicality of the Super comp will be a bit more than he can stomach. If he adapts well, I'm sure he will return to England a much better player. Loads of natural talent, but perhaps a bit lazy?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
how about?

15 Mark Gerrard
14 Cooper Vuna
13 Lachlan Mitchell
12 Stirling Mortlock [c]
11 Luke Rooney
10 Danny Cipriani
9 Richard Kingi
8 Gareth Delve
7 Michael Lipman [vc]
6 Jarrod Saffy
5 Adam Byrnes
4 Al Campbell
3 Laurie Weeks
2 Adam Freier
1 Greg Sommerville

16 Heath Tessman
17 Nick Henderson
18 Kevin O'Neill
19 Tim Davidson
20 Sam Cordingly
21 Julian Huxley
22 Peter Betham

I reckon Nick Henderson may be retrained as a hooker too.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
15 Mark Gerrard
14 Cooper Vuna
13 Stirling Mortlock [c]
12 Julian Huxley
11 Luke Rooney
10 Danny Cipriani
9 Richard Kingi
8 Gareth Delve
7 Michael Lipman [vc]
6 Tim Davidson
5 Adam Byrnes
4 Al Campbell
3 Laurie Weeks
2 Adam Freier
1 Greg Sommerville

16 Heath Tessman
17 Nick Henderson/Rodzilla
18 Kevin O'Neill
19 Jarrod Saffy
20 Sam Cordingly
21 Lachie Mitchell
22 Peter Betham??

Dont like there depth at 10. They've signed alot of fullbacks and not enough flyhalves. Whats the deal with saffy? is he any good, i saw Davidson play for sydney uni on the week end and he looked dynamic.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
15 Luke Rooney
14 Cooper Vuna
13 Lachlan Mitchell
12 Stirling Mortlock [c]
11 Peter Betham
10 Danny Cipriani
9 Richard Kingi
8 Gareth Delve
7 Michael Lipman [vc]
6 Jarrod Saffy
5 Hoani MacDonald
4 Kevin O'Neill
3 Laurie Weeks
2 Adam Freier
1 Greg Sommerville

16 Heath Tessman
17 Nick Henderson
18 Luke Jones
19 Tom Chamberlain
20 Sam Cordingly
21 Julian Huxley
22 Mark Gerrard

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Keen Rebels show they have a cause

* By Jon Geddes
* July 07, 2010 12:00AM

Adam Freier

Keen to get into it...Adam Freier and Rebels teammates are put through their paces at Coogee Oval. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

THESE exclusive photos prove the Melbourne Rebels intend to hit the ground running when they kick off their Super 15 campaign.

While they don't officially gather in Melbourne until October, the Rebels' Sydney-based players have started training together in Coogee.

The Daily Telegraph caught experienced campaigners Julian Huxley, Adam Freier, Rodney Blake, Michael Lipman, James Hilgendorf, Al Campbell and Lachie Mitchell sweating it out alongside rookie forwards Luke Jones and Hugh Pyle yesterday.

After 90 minutes in the gym the players were put through a demanding session on Coogee Oval by tough-guy trainer Glen Pilcher, who drove the players relentlessly for close to an hour.

The Rebels' opening Super game against the Waratahs is still seven months away but they are clearly determined to be well prepared.

Keeping a close eye on yesterday's session was Rebels assistant coach and former Wallabies and Waratahs back Nathan Grey.

Grey, one of the fiercest competitors to pull on the Waratahs jumper, said he was really looking forward to being part of this brand- new team.

"Seeing the guys in their training gear and having a session together is the start of something that is going to be really exciting for everyone," he said.

And the sessions are as much about building the new team's spirit as the players' fitness levels.

"It's important that in this window we have between now and October the players get to know each other and sit down after training and have coffee and a bit of a chat," Grey said.

Key recruit Julian Huxley said that after the excitement of signing up for something new, it was becoming reality as they started training.

"Every day is a bit of a new experience for us," he said.

And the former Wallaby said moving from the Brumbies to the Rebels had given him a new lease of life.

"No matter what you think you've done in the game, you've really got to prove yourself again," he said. "I've found in the past it has added a real spark to my preparation and attitude to training.

"You have to embrace that and see what it does for your rugby-and usually it has a good effect."

Meanwhile, the Rebels have signed South African under-18 back JP Du Plessis, who joined the Sydney Roosters this season and had been earmarked as a future Springbok."I miss rugby union, I've played it all my life and looking forward to playing it again," Du Plessis said.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Did you see that Luke Rooney is off to NZ to play in the NPC for Hawkes Bay. Good plan - they're one of the top sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.