• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Was quite surprised that Money Bill didn't go for the dough and re-sign. He's been a pretty grubby character in the past but I applaud his motives. Cynics may say that he's just putting something extra on his CV to earn better money in the future after his stint in NZ, but that would be harsh.

People forget very quickly. I don't think it was ever really about the money for SBW. When he signed that 5 year deal for the bulldogs, St Helen's was offering him a million a season, but he chose to stay with the dogs for half the amount. Go figure, huh?

Leaving the dogs was a lifestyle choice. 5 years is an awful long time, considering the shit the club was going through and the way they were screwing with him, I can't blame him for wanting to walk out on the remaining 3 years.

Though I can't remember exactly what his contract was to begin with at toulon, but it wasn't anywhere what their offering him now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
People forget very quickly. I don't think it was ever really about the money for SBW. When he signed that 5 year deal for the bulldogs, St Helen's was offering him a million a season, but he chose to stay with the dogs for half the amount. Go figure, huh?

No I didn't forget. The grubby comment pertained to walking out on his contract and his team mates, embarrassing his girlfriend with a drunken incident with an ironman woman in a toilet of a Sydney pub and pissing in public outside a nightclub.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
No I didn't forget. The grubby comment pertained to walking out on his contract and his team mates, embarrassing his girlfriend with a drunken incident with an ironman woman in a toilet of a Sydney pub and pissing in public outside a nightclub.

Yeah fair enough, he has acted like a lout at times

T

TOCC

rephrase that all a bit and im guilty of it all as well...

however im not paide half a million dollars to represent someone

T

TOCC

also,

The Australian suggested a backline with Rooney and Mortlock partnered in the centres... sheesh

9. Cordingley
10. Cipriani
11. Vuna
12. Mortlock
13. Rooney
14. Gerrard
15. Shepherd(possibly)

Apart from the halves combo the rest of the backline is over 100kg. Think it definetly shows some intent of what Maqueen is head towards.
Even players like Huxley and Betham are near the 100kg mark.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, and I think speed on the wings. Would prefer Mitchell or Betham there rather than Gerrard.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Updating the previous list:

Melbourne signings by position, not including Luke Rooney.

Players signed by position are: 26

1 Nic Henderson
1/2 Heath Tessman
1/3 Greg Somerville, **
2 Adam Freier,
3 Laurie Weeks,
3 Rodney Blake
4/5 Adam Byrnes,
4/5 Alister Campbell,
4/5 Kevin O'Neil **
4/5/6 Hoani Macdonald, **
6 Jarrod Saffy,
6/8 4/5 Luke Jones,
7 Michael Lipman **
7 Tom Chamberlain **
8/6 Tim Davidson,
8 Gareth Delve, **
9 Sam Cordingley,
9 Richard Kingi,
10/15 Danny Cipriani, **
10/12/15 James Hilgendorf,
13/11/14 Lachlan Mitchell,
13 Stirling Mortlock,
11/14/15 Peter Betham,
11/14 Cooper Vuna
15 Mark Gerrard
15 Julian Huxley

**[Foreign players not eligible to play for Oz.]

Still needed in the squad:

• Props - 2 for the academy (one experienced in senior rugby)

• Hookers - 1 more plus 1 academy (experienced);

• 2nd row - 1 academy

• 7 - 1 academy backrower

• 9 - 1 experienced academy plus a 2nd academy.

• 10 - 1 experienced academy

• 12 - 1 more, preferably a marquee player who can play more than one position plus 1 academy midfielder

• Wingers - 2 more plus 1 wing/fullback for the academy

That makes 30 in the squad and 10 professional academy players.

Note that Melbourne must pick 3 rookie players; so assuming Tessman is one, there have to be two others. Since the Brumbies and Reds have stitched up the 3 young gun 7s in the country and there are only 4 spots left, it is likely that the other two rookies will be in the backs - in the midfield and/or on the wing.

The last article mentioned 27 players and I've come up with 26 - anybody know who I missed?

The news release on the Rebels website (http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/H...elranks/tabid/211/language/en-AU/Default.aspx) announces Rooney as the 28th player, so we still don't know who is missing.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So it looks like Beau Robinson is missing out on a spot then? Is their recent time at Warringah really a good enough test to compared Lipman and Robinson?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was at the Manly Village Green watching the Rats play Manly two months ago and the two players were like chalk and cheese. Lipman looked like an international and Beau looked like a club player. Mind you Beau had to play 6.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
this from the rebel army facebook page (re logo):

Rod Macqueen has just unveiled what seems to be the Rebels logo, a shield with 5 vertical stars and horizontal stripes

im gonna be pissed if its worst than mine (see icon/g&gr facebook page) sounds pretty basic and boring

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
PS - as regards the likely starting team for the Rebels in Rd 1 of the 2011 S15: I think that Macqueen will throw the mix of players onto the wall in the trials and see what sticks. He will have no regard to reputations, which have no currency with the bloke operating the scoreboard.

He will be the first to admit that he won't know what his best team is at first. I reckon it will take him about 5 games before he can settle on his best 1st XV.

One thing I am sure about is that there will be a few surprises.

T

tranquility

I have said it before, but hell i'll say it again. I am bloody impressed with the squad they have assembled, it shows great creativity and initiative. There is no-one on that roster that I don't think will contribute. The forward back looks tough and workmanlike and the backline looks like it could be potentially lethal. Best of all it has introduced new talent into the shallow pond of Australian rugby and it hasn't come at the expense of any of the other fine Unions (by this I mean the Reds). God bless you, Rod McQueen.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have said it before, but hell i'll say it again. I am bloody impressed with the squad they have assembled, it shows great creativity and initiative. There is no-one on that roster that I don't think will contribute. The forward back looks tough and workmanlike and the backline looks like it could be potentially lethal. Best of all it has introduced new talent into the shallow pond of Australian rugby and it hasn't come at the expense of any of the other fine Unions (by this I mean the Reds). God bless you, Rod McQueen.

Rod has taken many gambles that may yet prove thrilling. Along with this he has also brought experience to nurture these guys.

Kudos to him for that but I would of liked him to take a punt on a few locals. Hopefully an academy set-up will be announced soon and it will be chock full of Vics.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When I was working on the piece on Robbie Deans' tenure as Wallaby coach so far, I looked at the records of the Wallaby coaches from the last 30 years. We all know Deans currently sits in bottom position in terms of win/loss, but the really remarkable thing is how far ahead of everyone Rod MacQueen is. Add to that his success with the start-up Brumbies, and he looks like the most important recruit by far. I am very excited by the prospect of MacQueen returning to coaching - many people put his success down to the great players he had to work with, so I am keen for him to strut his stuff with a less than superstar roster (I expect him to do great things).

Status
Not open for further replies.