• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Updating the previous list:

Melbourne signings by position, not including Luke Rooney.

Players signed by position are: 26

1 Nic Henderson
1/2 Heath Tessman
1/3 Greg Somerville, **
2 Adam Freier,
3 Laurie Weeks,
3 Rodney Blake
4/5 Adam Byrnes,
4/5 Alister Campbell,
4/5 Kevin O'Neil **
4/5/6 Hoani Macdonald, **
6 Jarrod Saffy,
6/8 4/5 Luke Jones,
7 Michael Lipman **
7 Tom Chamberlain **
8/6 Tim Davidson,
8 Gareth Delve, **
9 Sam Cordingley,
9 Richard Kingi,
10/15 Danny Cipriani, **
10/12/15 James Hilgendorf,
13/11/14 Lachlan Mitchell,
13 Stirling Mortlock,
11/14/15 Peter Betham,
11/14 Cooper Vuna
15 Mark Gerrard
15 Julian Huxley

**[Foreign players not eligible to play for Oz.]

Still needed in the squad:

• Props - 2 for the academy (one experienced in senior rugby)

• Hookers - 1 more plus 1 academy (experienced);

• 2nd row - 1 academy

• 7 - 1 academy backrower

• 9 - 1 experienced academy plus a 2nd academy.

• 10 - 1 experienced academy

• 12 - 1 more, preferably a marquee player who can play more than one position plus 1 academy midfielder

• Wingers - 2 more plus 1 wing/fullback for the academy

That makes 30 in the squad and 10 professional academy players.

Note that Melbourne must pick 3 rookie players; so assuming Tessman is one, there have to be two others. Since the Brumbies and Reds have stitched up the 3 young gun 7s in the country and there are only 4 spots left, it is likely that the other two rookies will be in the backs - in the midfield and/or on the wing.

The last article mentioned 27 players and I've come up with 26 - anybody know who I missed?
Is this the latest list? I ask because our obstratricion said her son has signed for the Rebels. He's an outside back who prefers fullback, and has played with the Wasps the last few years. I'd have thought his surname would be Vaughan, but perhaps Dr's keep their maiden names.

Edit: I'm guessing it must be Lachlan Mitchell, he was with Wasps last year.

Cyril Towers (30)
Is this the latest list? I ask because our obstratricion said her son has signed for the Rebels. He's an outside back who prefers fullback, and has played with the Wasps the last few years. I'd have thought his surname would be Vaughan, but perhaps Dr's keep their maiden names.

That sounds like Lachlan Mitchell who is already on your list.

T

TOCC

I heard he has a bit to much 'substance' for his league counterparts, especially in the questionable roosters culture.

he also signed a 3 yr deal...
However, it is a interesting prospect, he has gone a long way to qualifying for australia through the residency rule, it would be a smart move by any australian super14 side to target him once he is off contract

T

tranquility

they article speaks of him incredibly highly, I would very disappointed if no-one from the ARU was keeping an eye on him.

T

TOCC

what are the other options for the Rebels.. there either the journeyman or the babies, it was highly unlikely they were ever going to sign a team of international players in the 24-27yr old age bracket.

I think they have a solid foundation, i anticipate a large focus will be on the academy and utilising the experience within the squad to develop younger players. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see the Rebels target the NRL Toyota Cup players as well as chasing a large number of the current Australia U20 side.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
tis official:

FORMER RUGBY LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL SIGNS ON WITH AUSTRALIAN RUGBY

Former rugby league international Luke Rooney has signed a two-year deal with Australian Rugby which will bring him home from France and have him joining the newly-established Rebels in next year’s expanded Super Rugby competition.

Rooney, 27, has spent the past two years at Top 14 club Toulon after leaving rugby league at the end of 2008.

While he was considering joining Worcester, their relegation from the English premiership opened the door for him to reconsider his options.

“I was keen to come home and I was keen to have a crack at Super Rugby because it’s the best competition in the world and it’s going to get better next year with the Rebels coming on board,” he said.

“It was an experience I really wanted to have and to see where it may take me.

“I’ll be concentrating on playing my very best Rugby for the Rebels.

“After that who knows?

“Of course it would be great to play for the Wallabies but I’ve got so much work to do before I can think of getting there.

“My focus when I return home will be getting myself ready for the Super Rugby season next year.”

Rooney played primarily at fullback for Toulon, playing 16 games in the Top 14 in his initial year and scoring five tries.

During his rugby league career he played on the wing at State of Origin level for NSW and also made six Test appearances for the Kangaroos

D

dbla

Though the majority think its all doom and gloom for the rebels I think the back three at least should be pretty exciting and I'm really curious to see who starts there now that Rooney has officially signed.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm hopeful that Rooney gets a good shot at fullback for the Rebels. Rooney could be the style of fullback that the Wallabies are lacking.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's good news that Rooney is going to the Rebels. Of all the leaguies who switched to rugby he is the one who took to the game quickest. I remember watching the first game of union I saw him play in, but I didn't notice he was playing in it when it started. I saw this rangy winger who took my eye and thought he was bloody good, but he looked familiar. I was surprised he was Rooney.

Later I saw him play fullback and again, he looked like he was to the manor born. Just goes to show that you can't pick who is going to be good switching codes or who bad. Most of them are in between but Rooney is in the top drawer of converts.

Not to the point but SBW looked superb in his 2nd season in most of the games I saw. He was making his league skills of offloading, fending and making a half break and passing in or just before the tackle count after having a bit of a problem to make them relevant in Year 1.

I reckon the Crusaders and All Blacks have a good one there. Was quite surprised that Money Bill didn't go for the dough and re-sign. He's been a pretty grubby character in the past but I applaud his motives. Cynics may say that he's just putting something extra on his CV to earn better money in the future after his stint in NZ, but that would be harsh.

T

TOCC

i never really noticed Rooney much in league, but my mate who is generally pretty good at spotting talent was adamant he was the best winger in Australia at the time. Cant remember why his form slipped in 2007, but prior to that he was fanastic, a real finisher.

T

tranquility

very good signing. Primarily for the Rebels but it is also good just to have these type of players back in Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
famous for, whilst on a Kangaroo tour, saying Prague was boring because they didn't have any TABs there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
[video=youtube;Y07CS_w5i7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y07CS_w5i7s[/video]

[video=youtube;c7qpc9FVhJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7qpc9FVhJw[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.