• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I would love to see Rodzilla in contention for a Wallaby spot.

I suspect the closest Rod will come to the Wallabies again is if he meets Dunning and Baxter at Dairy Queen for a reunion of discarded front rowers. Membership to that particular group is a growth industry (pardon the pun).

S

Salad Fingers

any of you locals recognise any of these lads?

Centre%20of%20Excellence%20squad%20members.jpg

100% sure I've seen the dude third from the left a few times at our preseason training for Melbourne uni. I also may have seen the guy on the far left too, but I'm not sure.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Updating the previous list:

Melbourne signings by position, not including Luke Rooney.

Players signed by position are: 26

1 Nic Henderson
1/2 Heath Tessman
1/3 Greg Somerville, **
2 Adam Freier,
3 Laurie Weeks,
3 Rodney Blake
4/5 Adam Byrnes,
4/5 Alister Campbell,
4/5 Kevin O'Neil **
4/5/6 Hoani Macdonald, **
6 Jarrod Saffy,
6/8 4/5 Luke Jones,
7 Michael Lipman **
7 Tom Chamberlain **
8/6 Tim Davidson,
8 Gareth Delve, **
9 Sam Cordingley,
9 Richard Kingi,
10/15 Danny Cipriani, **
10/12/15 James Hilgendorf,
13/11/14 Lachlan Mitchell,
13 Stirling Mortlock,
11/14/15 Peter Betham,
11/14 Cooper Vuna
15 Mark Gerrard
15 Julian Huxley

**[Foreign players not eligible to play for Oz.]

Still needed in the squad:

• Props - 2 for the academy (one experienced in senior rugby)

• Hookers - 1 more plus 1 academy (experienced);

• 2nd row - 1 academy

• 7 - 1 academy backrower

• 9 - 1 experienced academy plus a 2nd academy.

• 10 - 1 experienced academy

• 12 - 1 more, preferably a marquee player who can play more than one position plus 1 academy midfielder

• Wingers - 2 more plus 1 wing/fullback for the academy

That makes 30 in the squad and 10 professional academy players.

Note that Melbourne must pick 3 rookie players; so assuming Tessman is one, there have to be two others. Since the Brumbies and Reds have stitched up the 3 young gun 7s in the country and there are only 4 spots left, it is likely that the other two rookies will be in the backs - in the midfield and/or on the wing.

The last article mentioned 27 players and I've come up with 26 - anybody know who I missed?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Would someone like Vuna count as a rookie?

I doubt it because he has played in the NRL and the other NRL players, including Cross, who didn't play SOO, weren't so categorised. The same goes for Saffy.

With only 4 spots left - or 3 if I have missed one - and Rooney being mentioned as likely, two of the remaining 2, 3 or 4 have to be rookies. Maybe the Rebels have a scout in Argentina looking at the Oz U/20 team especially the Perth hooker or perhaps the Perth LHP as an pro academy guy, or one of the wingers - or 13. Cameron Mitchell.

Edit: PS it's disappointing that Alcock wasn't picked up as a 7 instead of the Kiwi guy, given that he looked like a seasoned Super14 player when he started for the Tahs v the Cheetahs.

R

rugby_man

I wonder what has happened to Cameron Mitchell since he has left school. He seems to have fallen behind Tim Bennetts in the pecking order where as it was the other way around back a few years ago IIRC. I saw him play two years back and he was a good player who I thought would have went on to bigger and better things.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
any of you locals recognise any of these lads?

Centre%20of%20Excellence%20squad%20members.jpg

They are from the Centre of excellence which I believe is just a training squad, most of these guys also play either Senior or U20 Axemen.

From left to right the players are:
Angus Hamilton, Second Rower, captained combined states U18 and played U18 Australia in 2009, from Melbourne Harlequins RUFC and Scotch College, currently playing grade for Quins but has been broken all season so far.
Jack North, Hooker, played combined states 2009, from Harlequins RUFC and Scotch College, currently playing Quins colts.
Some fellow from Moorabin RUFC (I think), he is a 10 (I think).
No clue.
No clue.
David Hardisty, Scrumhalf, Captained combined states 2008, from Melbourne RUFC and St.Kevins College, currently playing Melbourne University 1st grade.
Some fellow from Southern Districts RUFC, flanker, pretty dominant for them in Victorian U20s last year.

I'd presume these blokes would all be named as academy players as they are probably the best few players who haven't gone north.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I wonder what has happened to Cameron Mitchell since he has left school. He seems to have fallen behind Tim Bennetts in the pecking order where as it was the other way around back a few years ago IIRC. I saw him play two years back and he was a good player who I thought would have went on to bigger and better things.

I've bored people with this never ending story between the two mates, but since you are new you are forgiven.

The boys were at school in 2008 and Cam was Oz Schools captain whereas Tim was injured and missed the Oz Schools tournament but was chosen for Oz A Schools anyway. Both were in the Tahs amateur academy that year as they were in 2009.

Cam was injured a lot at Kings but always seemed to be healthy for big schools tournaments and games, but his luck ran out after he left school. He was injured for most of the 2009 season. When he was OK to play and the end of 2009 his 13 spot at Eastwood was being well served by Tim; so he had to play on the wing.

Before that Tim had got a Tahs pro academy spot for 2010 and Cam, damaged goods, could only make the amateurs for the 3rd year in a row.

Both were chosen in the 2010 Oz U/20 squad. Cam got injured in training over there so Tim got chosen for the pre-tournament trial against Scotland, though he would probably have got precedence anyway. But he was hurt and had to return home. Meantime Cam got picked for the dirt-trackers in the Tongan game.

I said it was a never ending story.

It's hard to judge how Cameron Mitchell will perform at the senior level at 13 because so few people have seen him play the position since he left school, and it would be a bit of a risk to sign the youngster before he had a healthy year in grade in any position.

R

rugby_man

I knew it was something like that as the last I heard Mitchell was injured but never seem to see him playing anywhere since he finished school in 2008. If he can get a full season under his belt, I'd imagine he could go a long way.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought Luke Rooney was confirmed? he would be a great signing.

As much as I like the look of the squad, it disappoints me that more club players haven't been signed. Perhaps they will sign a large academy, like the Brumbies do because of the lack of local talent and fill it with good club players. Although in saying that someone down there must have a massive wrap on Tessman considering he is going straight into the senior squad. I am annoyed the Reds let him go, but it is good to see him get an opportunity.

I'm sure once the shute shield finishes up, you'll see them fill up the remaining spots with club players. As all the other super teams pretty much have their squads filled, the rebels don't need to fear losing any players their interested in. They can sit back and make sure the players maintain they're form and don't get injured.

I agree it would be annoying if there wasn't a couple more rookies than the minimum required.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-to-their-roster/story-e6frg7o6-1225880609342
Rebels add more Kiwi brawn to their roster

* Wayne Smith
* June 17, 2010 12:00AM

THE Melbourne Rebels yesterday signed a fourth New Zealander, openside flanker Tom Chamberlain.

Chamberlain, who made four appearances for the Blues this season to bring his tally of Super 14 caps to seven, joins his countrymen, All Blacks prop Greg Somerville, Chiefs lock Kevin O'Neill and former Highlanders lock/flanker Hoani MacDonald in the new Melbourne side.

Significantly, all are forwards, with Rebels coach Rod Macqueen determined to pack as much physicality into his pack as possible.

At 191cm and 106kg, Chamberlain, 23, fits the bill. Although those stats are more indicative of a blindside flanker, he topped the individual turnover tally in last year's Air New Zealand Cup.

Chamberlain is the 27th player signed by the Rebels, leaving only three more spots to fill before the new Super 15 expansion club closes the book on its playing roster.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I'm sure once the shute shield finishes up, you'll see them fill up the remaining spots with club players.

There are few S15 spots left; but they will have to stock up on pro academy players, and they'll won't be waiting until the end of the Shute Shield to stitch up the best ones.

Because some of the foreigners will be gone after 2011, and more in 2012, the manning of the pro academy will be almost as important as that of the first S15 roster. There will have to be a few hard heads in there to step in to play in Yr. 1 because of injury to the no. 1 or 2 in their positions that can't be covered in the main squad, but they will also look to develop some younger players to step up in the future to bring down the average age of an older team.

They would like to get Victorian Siliva Siliva back from the Force where he is in the amateur academy. The 2010 Oz U/20 hooker is an impressive young player.

As to the number of spots open: go back to post no. 804 on this thread and you will see that there only 4 remaining, not counting Rooney, but including Chamberlain. The news of the Kiwi's signing was posted by Noddy a week ago but he has probably just signed - or Wayne Smith let one go through to the keeper.

Rugby Future has posted the Smith article and I have just noticed that it said that there are 3 spots open; so either they have included Rooney, or I have missed one in the post mentioned.

R

rugby_man

For some reason, I recall reading somewhere that Chris Alcock was not signed to the Waratahs for next season. I don't know if this is true or not but if he is not signed next year, the Rebels should definitely have a look at him. I'd also have a good look at Eddie Bredenhaan from Sydney Uni for a spot in their pro academy. He is a great little player and has done extremely well to make the Sydney Uni 1st grade side. Talalelei Gray would also be another good purchase as he is a Victorian boy and has plenty of skills for a backrower. He played very well yesterday for Easts.

Status
Not open for further replies.