• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

AJ Gilbert should be a superstar by now. However he never got his act together and trained hard enough to make the step up. Even at club level last year he was basically a passenger. Im not sure that he can recover his career from this point.

It's a real shame because in the final of the U19 world cup, he was the best player on the pitch.

word on the street is that AJ Gilbert is looking at making his way back into rugby union, it will more then likely be through a European gig but it seems he has his shit together again

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
You're right about Blake, according to Midi Olympique today, it was only a verbal agreement with Bourgoin but finally he has decided to join the Rebels.

C

chief

word on the street is that AJ Gilbert is looking at making his way back into rugby union, it will more then likely be through a European gig but it seems he has his shit together again

No that wasn't the case in the slightest. The Reds dumped him because he simply wasn't an investment, once his contract ended they didn't renew it. I think his life was on track and all.

T

TOCC

take it how you want chief, but its no secret he was underperforming on the field due to his lack of effort off the field, he was overweight and lazy...

Hopefully now that he has a young family he is prepared to take professional sport a bit more serious, had he been giving 100% at training i have no doubt the Reds would have re-signed him at the time.

T

tranquility

yeah the guy had all the potential in the world to do anything, but to put it simply - he just dropped the ball.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
I know I'm a bit late to the party but why the change of thread name to "Victorian" Rebels? I still don't get it. The Blues have always been known as the Auckland Blues which is a city, rather than a province, and I never understood that to cause any problem.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just been doing a survey the Rebels sent out re season tickets. The proposed packages and costs are as per below. I don't know how this compares to other S14 sides memberships, but in the Melbourne sporting market these costs are outrageous. To contrast it, my gold membership with Hawthorn in the AFL costs me $320 approx, gets me 17 games access, and a guaranteed grand final ticket, hat, scarf, etc, etc. This is not the way to break into the local market.

1. Category A - membership with a dedicated reserved seat (Estimate $675-$775)

A reserved "best seat in the house" with exclusive hospitality facilities. Hear from the club president or coaching staff before each game. Receive unique privileges and merchandise that recognizes your membership status

The package will include...

• One reserved Category A seat ticket to each home game (dark blue area on seating plan) You will be allocated the same seat for the duration of the season.

• Access to exclusive bar and dining facilities at AAMI Park, including a guest Club speaker pre-game

• A traditional style cotton Rebels rugby jumper

• Members cap or scarf

• 10% off merchandise at the Rebels store

• Priority pre-sale access to Wallaby tickets for matches played in Australia

• Program voucher at all 8 home games

• Priority access to tickets to Rebels functions (e.g. Awards Nights)

• Invitations to member only events

• Priority access to Rebels finals tickets

• Potential to re-sell tickets via Rebels website

• Access to purchase guest tickets during the season. (including access to the bar and dining facilities)

• Exclusive 'Inner sanctum' emails from Rod Macqueen on a weekly basis

2. Category A - membership with an unreserved seat (Estimate $575-$675)

An unreserved seat in a designated Category A bay with exclusive hospitality facilities. Hear from the club president or coaching staff before each game. Receive unique privileges and merchandise that recognizes your membership status

• One unreserved category A seat ticket to each home game (dark blue area on seating plan) You are guaranteed a seat in a dedicated category A bay, but your seat is not specified.

• Access to exclusive bar and dining facilities at AAMI Park , including a guest Club speaker pre-game

• A traditional style cotton Rebels rugby jumper

• Members cap or scarf

• Program voucher at all 8 home games

• Potential to re-sell tickets via Rebels website

• Access to purchase guest tickets during the season (including access to the bar and dining facilities)

• Exclusive 'Inner sanctum' emails from Rod Macqueen on a weekly basis

3. Category B - membership with a reserved seat (Estimate $425-$525)

Reserved seats between the 22 and the goal line. You will have access to an exclusive bar/dining area as well as priority access to tickets for Rebels finals and domestic Wallabies fixtures

• One reserved category B seat ticket to each home game (yellow area on the seating plan)

• Access to exclusive bar and dining facilities at AAMI Park

• Members cap or scarf

• Potential to re-sell tickets via Rebels website to other registered members

• Weekly email updates from the club

4. Category C Membership (Estimate $325-$425)

Reserved seats between the try line and corner. You will have access to an exclusive bar/dining area as well as priority access to tickets for Rebels finals and domestic Wallabies fixtures

• One reserved category C seat ticket to each home game (pink area on the seating plan)

• Access to exclusive bar and dining facilities at AAMI Park

• Members cap or scarf

• Potential to re-sell tickets via Rebels website to other registered members

• Weekly email updates from the club

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I stand corrected - didn't realise Auckland was a region.

Still, I'm glad the thread has changed back to the "Melbourne" Rebels but I take the point.

Yeah, fair enough. They are the Melbourne Rebels after all.

No Victorians (by even a loose definition) in the squad so far. No announcement of an academy system that would include Victorians or a plan to have more Victorians up to the standard to eventually play for the team. I don't like this at all, but Rod did handle Canberra well so who knows.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
Why havent they signed John Ulugia(southern districts, ex brumby,Aus A, Aus U18-U21) or Tetera Faulkner also at Southern Districts played Aus U18-U21. Bring home some talent.....they obviously didnt get B.Tapuai(Reds), D.Ioane(Reds), C.Lealiifano (Brums). Will they get any Victorians in their Inaugural squad?

Plenty of Aus Schools reps from Victoria running around in the Canberra & Sydney club comp too. Who is picking all these old fellas in this team?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Exactly. Even T.Horua (St.Kevs and Melbourne RUFC) could of been a terrific player for the team culture, probably wouldn't have too high of an asking price either.

Then there is the 4 Aussie schoolboys from Vic, most of whom are currently playing in Canberra. The worst thing that could possibly happen is these blokes just working their way through the Runners into the Brumbies without the Rebs even trying.

There has to even be at least 5-10 no-namers running around in Vic 1st grade that are worth looking at for academy spots. I mean COME ON!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
this on the RUPA twitter feed....

RUPAnews-CONFIRMED: Mark Gerrard and Rodney Blake back to play for the Rebels. Welcome home boys.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just been doing a survey the Rebels sent out re season tickets. The proposed packages and costs are as per below. I don't know how this compares to other S14 sides memberships, but in the Melbourne sporting market these costs are outrageous. To contrast it, my gold membership with Hawthorn in the AFL costs me $320 approx, gets me 17 games access, and a guaranteed grand final ticket, hat, scarf, etc, etc. This is not the way to break into the local market.

1. Category A - membership with a dedicated reserved seat (Estimate $675-$775)

They have to be joking, does this premium service include having waitresses in french maid outfits getting you unlimited drinks or something?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
so thats 26 players apparently, 4 to go, whs gonna go the complete rundown of positions and possible positions

any speculation on the final few?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've got 25??

Fullback:Mark Gerrard, Julian Huxley
Wing:peter Betham, Cooper Vuna
Centre:Stirling Mortlcok, Lachlan Mitchell
Fly Half:Danny Cipriani, James Hilgendorf
Scrum Half:Richard Kingi, Sam Cordingly
Backrow:Gareth Delve, Tim Davidson, Jarrod Saffy, Michael Lipman
Lock:Adam Byrnes, Luke Jones, Hoani MacDonald, Al Campbell, Kevin O'Neill
Prop: Laurie Weeks, Greg Sommerville, Nick Henderson, Rodney Blake
Hooker:Adam Freier, Heath Tessman

So locks and props done. They need a 3rd hooker and a couple of centres at least. Possibly a third scrummy and perhaps another wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.