• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

yeah, once the S14 season finishes its all systems go.

I fear we (I mean QLD) may have lost Hynes.

T

tranquility

I get that feeling as well.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

I got the e-mail yesterday - yes, I will be signing up as a supporter. I was thinking last night that there are quite a few stars, journeymen and very promising youngsters in Australia who are yet to be pinned down by the other four Oz teams.

I thought also about the possibility of foreign players year who decide they are not going to make RWC 2011 and jump ship. Players not in extended national squad for the spring shenanigans might just jump ship soon to secure their futures and avoid much higher competition after RWC 2011.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

Nathan Grey is still playing isn't he? FFS man up Greysie and pull the boots on!

Skills coach my arse... ;)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Epi said:
Nathan Grey is still playing isn't he? FFS man up Greysie and pull the boots on!

Skills coach my arse... ;)

Reckon Greysie might cause some concern among the creampuff centres in the current four Oz S14 teams?

Shaz

Frank Row (1)

James Hilgendorf joins Melbourne Rebels
Bret Harris From: The Australian May 13, 2010 3:10PM

SUPER 15 expansion franchise Melbourne Rebels have signed former Western Force five-eighth James Hilgendorf for two years.

A member of the Force's squad from 2006-08, Hilgendorf has played for Japanese clubs Kintetsu Liners and Kobe Steel for the past two years.

While Hilgendorf is primarily a five-eighth, he can also play in the centres and fullback, which makes him a valuable acquisition.

The Rebels are also believed to be talking to Blues openside flanker Serge Lilo.

An unrelenting backrower, Lilo is known for his uncompromising defence and tenacity at the breakdown.

But the return to Auckland of former All Blacks number seven Daniel Braid from Queensland Reds would limit Lilo's opportunities with the Blues.

Looks the Rebels back-up flyhalf/no.12 we've been clamouring for has made an appearance!

Shaz

Frank Row (1)

RugbyFuture said:
beat me to it by a second shaz

Almost didn't post it too, good news though- I can't quite remember how he played when he did for the Force though, what was he like?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

He went quite well for the Force actually. Bit of a surprise package, but had some injuries. Him and Giteau made a good combination - when he was on the park. Hilgendorf getting his jaw broken by Tipoki was really sad.

Amazed he's coming back, and won't the Force supporters be pissed as he was a bit of a favourite of theirs. The Force supporters were unhappy when Jimmy went to Japan to begin with, and Jimmy was stated as saying that he wanted to play for Japan in the 2011 RWC, which was his driving motivator.

Well, something must've changed if Hilgendorf is actually joining the Rebels. I suspect that the Force has missed a trick somewhere in this one...

Welcome back Jimmy, even if you are a King's old boy.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

PS Cue TWF going crazy over this signing in 3...2...1...

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Yeah he certainly had his moments at the Forceand was in great form when Tipoki took him out.

Not a fluid 5/8 in the Cooper mould but will be a very handy 21 for the Rebels if he doesnt crack the starting side. Definately approaching Journeyman status now.

Does anyone know much about the Japan setup. Has he been told he wasnt going to crack their national side so has decided to come home?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

I expect some nice signings for the Rebels in the next two weeks, as players from the ten teams not in the S14 finals turn their attention to next year.

C

chief

Hynes is expected to sign with Rebels next week.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
no idea, en_force_er will be here soon though, he'll know

I am so surprised by this. There was talk he was living there long enough to gain residency to play in the WC for Japan.
He has either gained the residency or given up on that. Maybe he got citizenship?

Either way he was a very serviceable player. Not good, not bad. You could do a whole lot worse off the bench.

T

tranquility

I seem to remember him being quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.