• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Rooney is a big chance.. And while it may come a surprise to most- he has been the standout performer in France (though SBW has also given himself a long term career in France should he want..)

T

tranquility

While Rooney may look the most like a traditional rugby player, I would find it very hard to argue that he has been more effective than SBW. SBW is playing rugby in a fashion that I have not seen any other player go about his business. In the semi final with Clermont on the weekend, he was head and shoulders apart from the field as the most dangerous player on the paddock.

It will be interesting when he steps up into a higher division, but SBW could really be anything - potentially he could revolutionize playing inside center. I know that sounds like an Eddie Jones comment, but I am more than happy to lay in my bed (after I have made it).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

After 2 seasons SBW has been looking the goods. In 2010 - the 4th quarter of his 2 season stint, if you will, he has been deadly effective. He was out injured a bit in his 1st year and when he started playing in earnest he had trouble fitting in his rugby league skills to the rugby union game. He looked a bit like a golfer getting out of a greenside bunker with a 3 iron.

This calendar year he has shown that he has made the transition fully. In particular his ability to hold off players and use his other arm to offload has been hard top stop and his creation of the half break has been relentless.

For the two season period as a whole Rooney has been the better player and one struggled to watch for flaws in his union play either as a winger or a fullback. But I agree with tranquility that SBW is now the more effective union player.

Sometimes I talk with league or union people at the ground, or socially, where the topic of what league player union would like to have crops up. The usual suspects are mentioned, but the unexpected Rooney example makes me pause. Sometimes a league player gets to use union skills when he switches more than he did in the game he left - or vice versa: sometimes his league skills aren't quite as useful in union.

It would be better, waffle I, if there were some parallel universe where there was no rugby league, wherein the professional league players of our universe had been playing union all their lives. It would be only there where we could judge which leaguies would be best to play rugby union in our universe.

We would get a few surprises about who would be stars and more so as we looked at players who were not centres, wingers or fullbacks. And because our game is more for all shapes and sizes than league is we would see some no name league players who emerged as good rugby union players. Some heavy and/or tall leaugies who would be lucky to make the bench in the NRL and more probably playing in feeder or subbies league teams could be union stars as tight five forwards.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Rebels add trio to squad
May 17, 2010 - 4:25PM

New signing . . . former Brumbies player Alistair Campbell playing for Australia A in 2008.

While they wait for the playing future of Israel Folau and Mark Gasnier to be decided, the Melbourne Rebels have added a further three names to their Super rugby squad.

Former representative second-rower Alister Campbell, former Force back James Hilgendorf and young Queensland prop Heath Tessman have signed on with the new franchise, which will join the expanded competition from next year.

Giant centre Folau is torn between remaining with the Brisbane Broncos, playing rugby with the Rebels or joining AFL expansion team Greater Western Sydney, and said he would make his decision this month with Rebels officials still hopeful.

They are also still waiting on a decision from Gasnier, who has been playing rugby in France, although he's reportedly set to return to the NRL.

Melbourne are also negotiating with former Australian league representative Luke Rooney, who has been playing for French club Toulon for the last two seasons.

Hilgendorf will return to Australia from playing in Japan with Kobe Steel and impressed Rebels assistant coach Damien Hill with his versatility and experience.

"Jimmy will be a huge asset to the Melbourne Rebels," Hill said.

"He has the ability to cover 10, 12 and 15, possesses a strong kicking and passing game and has the size and footwork to play at the line in attack."

Campbell, who played four Tests for the Wallabies in 2005, previously played for NSW and the Brumbies before moving to France with Montpellier.

Forwards coach Mark Bakewell rated highly the 30-year-old's leadership qualities.

"Another captain in the ranks, he's an incredibly positive and enthusiastic guy, a great leader and organiser around lineout," Bakewell said.

"He's going to be a great addition to the foundation group."

Tessman, currently with the Queensland Reds Academy squad, can play hooker and loose head.

The trio bring the squad size to 18.

Melbourne Rebels: Peter Betham, Adam Byrnes, Alister Campbell, Danny Cipriani, Sam Cordingley, Tim Davidson, Gareth Delve, Adam Freier, James Hilgendorf, Luke Jones, Richard Kingi, Hoani Macdonald, Lachlan Mitchell, Stirling Mortlock, Jarrod Saffy, Greg Somerville, Heath Tessman, Laurie Weeks.

AAP

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

THE ARU and Melbourne Rebels are negotiating with rugby league convert Luke Rooney, who has been playing for French club Toulon for the last two seasons.

Rooney, who played for Penrith Panthers, NSW Blues and the Australian Kangaroos in rugby league, is believed to be aiming for a spot in the Wallabies' 2011 World Cup squad.

"Most of the conversations with Luke have been with the ARU," Rebels acting chief executive Pat Wilson said. "We are not leading the way. Do we have an interest? Sure. He's on the radar for Australian rugby and we have expressed an interest."

Rooney, 27, played primarily as a winger in rugby league, but has played mainly at fullback for Toulon since switching codes at the end of 2008.

Toulon, which also has rugby league convert Sonny Bill Williams on its roster, was knocked out of the French Top 14 semi-finals by Clermont in Saint-Etienne yesterday.

Williams scored a try in Toulon's 35-29 loss in extra time.

"From all reports he (Rooney) has been playing pretty well," Wilson said.

Wilson said the Rebels still hoped to secure Brisbane Broncos centre Israel Folau, who is also being chased by AFL expansion team Greater Western Sydney.

"Israel is still considering his options," Wilson said. "We don't want to put any undue pressure on him. If he needs time to make a decision, we are comfortable with that.

"We have presented our case. We think it's a good option for him, but he has to work it out in his head."

Wilson said the Rebels were also waiting on a decision from rugby league convert Mark Gasnier, who has been tipped to return from club rugby in France to rejoin NRL side St George Illawarra Dragons.

"It's a bit the same," Wilson said. "We're not sitting on our hands. We are getting on with our recruitment."

The Rebels are still talking to former Wallabies outside back Mark Gerrard, who has been playing for Japanese club NTT Communications.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

So Queenslanders, tell me about this Heath Tessman.

What kind of player is he? Why did the Reds let him go when they are losing Weekes this season? Is he a TH or LH?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Rodney Blake's back in town (ie. Sydney) after his contract with Bayonne has run its course. He's looking for a gig and wants to play for his old club, the Pirates, while angling for a Rebels contract.

Rebels management: why wouldn't you snap up Beau and Rodders? They both WANT to play with you.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

You know, enforcer, you could get on the bandwagon first by changing your username.

Lindo: I won't rest until Beau is back in Aus. I'm doing everything I can. Which, as it happens, is fuck all.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I don't know too much about him. The other clubbies will I think. he's played a little bit of QLD A, off the bench mainly. I think he's primarily a hooker, but covers LHP as well.

Why we let him go? Well I think because we are confident in that we have three young props in the academy that are better, one of which who can also cover hooker. James Slipper, Paulo Alo Emile and Albert Anae.

I always thought Hessman was just a good club player. But as I say, there are more informed people on here as to his abilities.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Lindommer said:
Rodney Blake's back in town (ie. Sydney) after his contract with Bayonne has run its course. He's looking for a gig and wants to play for his old club, the Pirates, while angling for a Rebels contract.

Rebels management: why wouldn't you snap up Beau and Rodders? They both WANT to play with you.

gee, that's exciting re Blake.

Both those guys would be awesome signings.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)

I really hope Blake does get a gig somewhere. While I'm no student of scrums, I certainly thought he had some great games for the Reds.

R

Rugby Rat

Melbourne now have 18 confirmed signings

Peter Betham,
Adam Byrnes,
Alister Campbell,
Danny Cipriani,
Sam Cordingley,
Tim Davidson,
Gareth Delve,
Adam Freier,
James Hilgendorf,
Luke Jones,
Richard Kingi,
Hoani Macdonald,
Lachlan Mitchell,
Stirling Mortlock,
Jarrod Saffy,
Greg Somerville,
Heath Tessman,
Laurie Weeks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Tiger said:
I really hope Blake does get a gig somewhere. While I'm no student of scrums, I certainly thought he had some great games for the Reds.

It is the bit in between scrums that was his issue

R

Rugby Rat

And the KFC.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Rugby Rat said:
And the KFC.

Yeah, but you've gotta be prepared to forgive all of that to watch the Rodzilla on the field. Massive grin, massive gut and a joy to watch.

having said that though, he was never in a team, I truly supported, so may have felt different then!!!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Scarfman said:
You know, enforcer, you could get on the bandwagon first by changing your username.

Lindo: I won't rest until Beau is back in Aus. I'm doing everything I can. Which, as it happens, is fuck all.

how would i do that?

it's not really bandwagoning, i've never lived anywhere but melbourne in my life.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)

I watched Rodzilla play a couple of games for Bayonne and he was just awful. His scrummaging was poor and he could hardly keep up around the park. Looked to me like he had seriously regressed.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Lance Free said:
I watched Rodzilla play a couple of games for Bayonne and he was just awful. His scrummaging was poor and he could hardly keep up around the park. Looked to me like he had seriously regressed.

+1

and I have watched him in more than a couple of games.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

With some good coaching he could get it back. 27 isn't TOO old by prop standards.

T

tranquility

I didn't want to say it - but in the games I have watched I have felt the same thing. He doesn't look half as dynamic as he did when he forced his way into the Wallaby fray. In saying that though, it would still be good for Australian rugby to have him in one of the super sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.