• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Re: Melbourne Rebels recruitment: update what you hear

Yep that was me but hasnt made it to the media yet. I have my sources. ;)

Shaz

Frank Row (1)

the gambler said:
Yep that was me but hasnt made it to the media yet. I have my sources. ;)

Is this your source? http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/eagles-do-rate/

Lipman a Rebel

WORD is, the Melbourne Rebels still have their sights on Rats captain Michael Lipman joining the club despite the Australian Rugby Union refusing to register his contract.

The former England Test backrower was banned by the Rugby Football Union in London following the fall-out from an end-of-season party in London last year.

Since then, the ARU have blocked moves by the Rebels to register Lipman. We hear the Rebels are not pursuing an openside flanker until they get Lipman.

Rats’ youngster Kotoni Ale is also on their radar, as a possible recruit down the track.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

On the clubrugby podcast this week, Lipman said that the ARU are now reconsidering his contract.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

Am a bit ticked at Huxley for leaving the brumbies. They've been very good to him. If it wasn't for them he wouldn't playing now. least he could have done and given them one more year to say thank you.

however i understand his position, not long to go and $

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

and do we know whether the Brumbies wanted to keep him?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

fatprop said:
On the clubrugby podcast this week, Lipman said that the ARU are now reconsidering his contract.

Yeah and they have now agreed to register it. Not sure what convinced them to change their mind but always thought it was a bit hypocritical to let Harrison return and not Lipman.

R

Rugby Rat

Going by the events of this year, I reckon they should try and lock Braidy up with another Aussie club. Not sure whether the AB contract would allow it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Braid can't play for a foreign Super15 team next year. Doing so would disqualify him from being selected in the NZ squad for the RWC and he has expressed interest in being picked.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

he's already signed with Auckland

Former All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid is coming home to New Zealand after signing with the New Zealand Rugby Union and Auckland Rugby from 1 July 2010 until the end of 2012.

Facebook
Twitter
Braid will play out his second Rebel Sport Super 14 season with the Reds, then return to play for Auckland in the 2010 ITM Cup. He will be available to the Blues for the 2011 and 2012 expanded Super Rugby competitions.

He will be eligible for All Blacks consideration once he has played for Auckland.

NZRU Chief Executive Steve Tew welcomed Braid’s return as a positive sign for New Zealand rugby.

“We’re delighted that Daniel has chosen to come back and commit to New Zealand rugby. He has been an outstanding player both in his previous time in New Zealand and during this time with the Reds and his talent is widely recognised.

“From his development through New Zealand age grade teams, to his appearances for Auckland and the Blues, Daniel has been impressive. At age 21, his form earned him a spot in the All Blacks squad at the end of 2002,” Mr Tew said.

Braid was named winner of the Kelvin R Tremain Memorial Trophy for player of the year at the Steinlager Rugby Awards in 2007 and he has continued to attract attention with his strong form for Queensland in the 2009 and 2010 Super Rugby seasons.

Auckland Rugby and Blues Chief Executive Andy Dalton welcomed Braid’s decision to return.

“Daniel’s return to Auckland Rugby and the Blues is a welcome one. With more than 100 combined caps for both the union and the franchise, Daniel was an experienced senior member of our teams and we are thrilled he is coming home,” Mr Dalton said.

The openside flanker said his desire to try and secure a place in the All Blacks for the Rugby World Cup in 2011 had been a strong motivator in his decision.

“I am very happy to be returning to Auckland and New Zealand during such an exciting time for New Zealand rugby. Having the Rugby World Cup in your home country and the opportunity to potentially push for a place to represent New Zealand is a once in a lifetime opportunity and this was a factor in my decision to return home.

“I have enjoyed my time at the Reds, and am hoping to leave on a high note as part of a team that has improved enormously this season,” he said.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

The Rebs have a very high average age don't they.

Hopefully the theory is they will bring through locals as the oldies retire. Some of these blokes only have a season or two left in them.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

en_force_er said:
The Rebs have a very high average age don't they.

Good point, efe. Methinks Macqueen and the brains trust want to avoid a last place finish, a la the Force in 2006, and reckon a mature squad in their first year's the way to go. A lot of these older blokes will have a point to prove when the run out for the Rebels. I fully expect the Rebels to have another major recruiting drive after the RWC in 2011 to replace of lot of their senior citizens.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I'm all for seeing the rebels do well but signings like Campbell and Huxley hardly inspire any confidence. It seems this is developing into a team of S14 misfits, international has-beens, untested rookies and Danny Cipriani. Now there is word that they are looking at Mark Gerrard. Please. Looking at what the Force could achieve with names like Giteau, Mitchell, Sharpe, Shepherd and Pocock in their early seasons it really makes you wonder whether the Rebels could achieve any sort of success in the short term. Even if they get Rooney or Gasnier the picture doesn't look that much better. Am I the only one worried about this? Because at the moment the Rebels are looking like a ragtag bunch at best.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

barbarian said:
I'm all for seeing the rebels do well but signings like Campbell and Huxley hardly inspire any confidence. It seems this is developing into a team of S14 misfits, international has-beens, untested rookies and Danny Cipriani. Now there is word that they are looking at Mark Gerrard. Please. Looking at what the Force could achieve with names like Giteau, Mitchell, Sharpe, Shepherd and Pocock in their early seasons it really makes you wonder whether the Rebels could achieve any sort of success in the short term. Even if they get Rooney or Gasnier the picture doesn't look that much better. Am I the only one worried about this? Because at the moment the Rebels are looking like a ragtag bunch at best.

Like the Brumbies did? Rejects and leftovers?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Lightning doesn't strike twice. [Cue cyclo pointing me in the direciton of Lee Trevino]

I have to say, it's an odd mix of talent, at this stage.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

A mix of battle-hardened experienced players and young potentials.... like a certain northern side ;)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

DPK said:
A mix of battle-hardened experienced players and young potentials.... like a certain northern side ;)

frankly that is a very optimistic view. Don't get me wrong, I honestly hope you are right. But the Brumbies of the 90s and the Reds of 2010 took years to develop. Even then you have to ask the question- is Lachie Mitchell on par with a Mortlock or Ioane? Is Al Campbell equal to Owen Finegan? I'm all for hardened veterans but frankly Van Humpries is the exception not the rule. Creating a team full of them seems a recipe for disaster, more so once if you throw league converts into the mix...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

You just want to minimise the number of "not made it and probably never will" type players.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

I've thought above this some more. What suprise me is the lack of top-flight Wallabies on ARU top-ups. I would have thought that a few more guys would have moved to Melbourne to be on the same ARU money plus a little bit of 3rd party.

Looks like either the Rebels aren't targeting Wallabies, or they won't come.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

I don't think, from the perspective of a Wallaby or fringe Wallaby, I would want to leave the team where my performances have led to me be considered or become a part of the Test side to a new team, new coach, new training etc etc. It's a risk.

It's becoming desperately cliche, but 2012 will be the year for the Rebels'.

Status
Not open for further replies.