• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Gents,

Pure speculation. Dont you find it a bit strange that the Rebels have not announced any new signing since the Storm Debacle. There were hot rumours that they were to announce Folau's signing with in days just prior to the event,
Gasnier was to make an announcmnet shortly. Now Gasnier is rummoured to be talking to St George or Staying in France, Falou is reconsidering his options.
Yesterday News said that they would not support the Storm in a legal challenge to the NRL.

News have said that they will support a "team" in Melbourne. Is that team going the the "Stormy Rebels" or the "Restorms"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Shaz said:
James Hilgendorf joins Melbourne Rebels
Bret Harris From: The Australian May 13, 2010 3:10PM

SUPER 15 expansion franchise Melbourne Rebels have signed former Western Force five-eighth James Hilgendorf for two years.

A member of the Force's squad from 2006-08, Hilgendorf has played for Japanese clubs Kintetsu Liners and Kobe Steel for the past two years.

While Hilgendorf is primarily a five-eighth, he can also play in the centres and fullback, which makes him a valuable acquisition.

The Rebels are also believed to be talking to Blues openside flanker Serge Lilo.

An unrelenting backrower, Lilo is known for his uncompromising defence and tenacity at the breakdown.

But the return to Auckland of former All Blacks number seven Daniel Braid from Queensland Reds would limit Lilo's opportunities with the Blues.

Looks the Rebels back-up flyhalf/no.12 we've been clamouring for has made an appearance!

Good player IMHO (Hilgendorf)

Wasn't it Lilo who enjoyed the Mumm palm off?

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)

chief said:
Hynes is expected to sign with Rebels next week.

I don't understand this. Wasn't his problem that his ARU top up was a bit shit?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I don't think Lilo is a good buy. Developing an NZ No.7 is not our problem (the man still needs experience to play well in the S14).

I suppose with all the upcoming No.7s being aggressively snapped up by the Brums, Force and Reds they mightn't have a choice.

Surely Beau is a better option?

farva

Vay Wilson (31)

Hilgendorf has signed with the Rebels? Bugger I was hoping he will go to the Force :(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

cheezel said:
chief said:
Hynes is expected to sign with Rebels next week.

I don't understand this. Wasn't his problem that his ARU top up was a bit shit?

yeah, which is why he's gone to the Rebels. A higher 3rd party offer.

Cyril Towers (30)

en_force_er said:
I don't think Lilo is a good buy. Developing an NZ No.7 is not our problem (the man still needs experience to play well in the S14).

I suppose with all the upcoming No.7s being aggressively snapped up by the Brums, Force and Reds they mightn't have a choice.

Surely Beau is a better option?
With you there enforcer. Beau would be a far better option. Personally I hope the Tahs sign him as cover for Waugh. Unfortunately I have heard that they have approached him and he has told them to f*** off after the way he was treated last time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Hilgendorf, Campbell and Tessman join the Rebels Ranks

The playing roster of Australia’s newest Super Rugby team is filling out nicely with the announcement today that James Hilgendorf, Heath Tessman and former Wallaby, Alister Campbell have signed with the Melbourne Rebels.

In commenting on the signing of Hilgendorf, who will return to Australia from playing in Japan with Kobe Steel, Assistant Coach Damien Hill pointed to the former Western Force recruit’s versatility and experience.

"Jimmy will be a huge asset to the Melbourne Rebels. He has the ability to cover 10, 12 and 15, possesses a strong kicking and passing game and has the size and footwork to play at the line in attack." he said. Hill also believes Hilgendorf will contribute to the building of the new club’s culture and will be a great influence on younger players such as Heath Tessman from the Queensland Reds Academy.

"Heath Tessman is a fantastic young man, looking for the opportunity to prove himself at Super Rugby level. Heath is a mobile front rower who can play hooker and loose head." Damien Hill said.

Tessman is more than ready for the challenges Melbourne offers. "I’m really looking forward to learning from the likes of forwards coach Mark Bakewell and senior players like Greg Somerville and Adam Freier." he said.

Mark Bakewell, about to make the big move from Bath with his family in the role of Assistant Coach with Hill, is very pleased to welcome former Wallaby lock, Alister Campbell to the Rebels.

"Al’s had a great time with Montpellier in France and is excited to have the opportunity to come to Melbourne," Bakewell said.

"Another captain in the ranks, he’s an incredibly positive and enthusiastic guy – a great leader and organiser around lineout. He’s going to be a great addition to the foundation group."

Melbourne Rebels now has 18 confirmed signings with more announcements to come shortly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

fatprop said:
Hilgendorf, Campbell and Tessman join the Rebels Ranks

The playing roster of Australia’s newest Super Rugby team is filling out nicely with the announcement today that James Hilgendorf, Heath Tessman and former Wallaby, Alister Campbell have signed with the Melbourne Rebels.

In commenting on the signing of Hilgendorf, who will return to Australia from playing in Japan with Kobe Steel, Assistant Coach Damien Hill pointed to the former Western Force recruit’s versatility and experience.

"Jimmy will be a huge asset to the Melbourne Rebels. He has the ability to cover 10, 12 and 15, possesses a strong kicking and passing game and has the size and footwork to play at the line in attack." he said. Hill also believes Hilgendorf will contribute to the building of the new club’s culture and will be a great influence on younger players such as Heath Tessman from the Queensland Reds Academy.

"Heath Tessman is a fantastic young man, looking for the opportunity to prove himself at Super Rugby level. Heath is a mobile front rower who can play hooker and loose head." Damien Hill said.

Tessman is more than ready for the challenges Melbourne offers. "I’m really looking forward to learning from the likes of forwards coach Mark Bakewell and senior players like Greg Somerville and Adam Freier." he said.

Mark Bakewell, about to make the big move from Bath with his family in the role of Assistant Coach with Hill, is very pleased to welcome former Wallaby lock, Alister Campbell to the Rebels.

"Al’s had a great time with Montpellier in France and is excited to have the opportunity to come to Melbourne," Bakewell said.

"Another captain in the ranks, he’s an incredibly positive and enthusiastic guy – a great leader and organiser around lineout. He’s going to be a great addition to the foundation group."

Melbourne Rebels now has 18 confirmed signings with more announcements to come shortly.

bugger. I am missing one. Anyone know??

Stirling Mortlcok (2013), Laurie Weeks (??), Danny Cipriani (2012), Adam Byrnes (??), Richard Kingi (??), Luke Jones (??), Gareth Delve (??), Sam Cordingly (??), Tim Davidson (??), Peter Betham (??), Adam Freier (??), Jarrod Saffy (??), Hoani MacDonald (??), Greg Sommerville (??), James, Hilgendorf (2012), Heath Tessman (??), Al Campbell (??)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Noddy said:
bugger. I am missing one. Anyone know??

Stirling Mortlcok (2013), Laurie Weeks (??), Danny Cipriani (2012), Adam Byrnes (??), Richard Kingi (??), Luke Jones (??), Gareth Delve (??), Sam Cordingly (??), Tim Davidson (??), Peter Betham (??), Adam Freier (??), Jarrod Saffy (??), Hoani MacDonald (??), Greg Sommerville (??), James, Hilgendorf (2012), Heath Tessman (??), Al Campbell (??)

Lachlan Mitchell?

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)

I read that they are talking with Luke Rooney as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

B.I.F.F.O. and Bingo was his name-o.

cheers.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Noddy said:
B.I.F.F.O. and Bingo was his name-o.

cheers.

:) Thanks for compiling the list.

As I have noted in this thread I expect some interesting announcements over the next two weeks. However, I hadn't considered some events which have occurred that may change the supply of available players. For example, I hadn't noted that Worcester has been relegated which gives Luke Rooney a get-out from his contract there. Rooney had said very publicly that he had a strong ambition to play for England in the RWC next year. I wonder whether the emphasis should be on "for England" or on "in the RWC next year". If that latter, there must be some chance of the Rebels attracting him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

wow. I didn't know that about Rooney's get out clause. Interesting!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
Gerrard is apparently "still in talks" too

Gerrard, presuming he is as good as he used to be, is exactly what Australian Rugby needs right now.

What we don't need are his crappy videos explaining rugby to little boys. That shit is weird.

T

tranquility

Tessman is a good club signing - watched him run around in the preseason with the Academy lads and he makes his presence felt. Very big, but very mobile and with good ball skills and vision. He is a hooker but he plays at the same club as Chibba Hanson so he also plays loosehead.

Not sure why the Reds didn't retain him.

I would hope someone will sign Damon Murphy before too long, very classy player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Tessman wasn't in the academy this year.

I guess between Anae, Slipper and PAO that thought they had themselves covered?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

hynes likely to stay with reds, citing:

"I think there's something pretty good building in Queensland and I want to be part of it"

and

"At this stage I'm more than likely to stay with the Reds . . . and I think it's important for the Reds that we retain Quade Cooper as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.