• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

thatguy said:
Overheard Sitiveni Mafi having a private conversation with someone else prior to the Gordon - West Harbour game in the weekend. He told this other person that he was off to Melbourne to play for the Rebels next year.

A huge turn around from the rumours of him leaving for league last year. Is he playing 6 or 8 nowdays?

T

tranquility

198 cm? it would be a waste if he wasn't being groomed as a lock wouldn't it?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

en_force_er said:
thatguy said:
Overheard Sitiveni Mafi having a private conversation with someone else prior to the Gordon - West Harbour game in the weekend. He told this other person that he was off to Melbourne to play for the Rebels next year.

A huge turn around from the rumours of him leaving for league last year. Is he playing 6 or 8 nowdays?

Playing second row for West Harbour at this point in time.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

AussieDominance said:
en_force_er said:
thatguy said:

Playing second row for West Harbour at this point in time.

Yeah but so did Dennis and McCalman. Anyway I'd be happy to see him at lock.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

great news. Just glad he's not playing centre anymore!

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

If you want to keep up to date with most of Sydney Club Rugby news go here - http://www.rugbynews.org/

The Weekly issues are fantastic all team lists for all grades as well as wrap ups/previews and whispers.

D

daz

If what I read in the Sydney papers today is accurate, I guess you can put a line through Gasnier joining the Rebels, or the Reds...or indeed any Super14/15 side. It seems to be a 2 horse NRL race between St George and Newcastle.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Ah well, if he's not going to rugby union there's a good chance he'll go back to my rugby league team, the Dragons.

I first saw him at Kogarah in a curtain raiser as a skinny youngster and when I saw his name I wondered if he was any relation to the great Reg, who knew all about swerving around players but nearly always finished the game with a clean jersey. It will be good to have him back at the club.

But if he's going to the Knights there will be no joy at all.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

Fringe Force player Josh Tatupu (also off souths rebels) is off countract now and would assumedly be talking with the Mexican rebels re next year

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Josh Tatupu is a quality bench player but, at least at this stage, nothing more.

The article on Gasnier reeked of poorly researched and lacked any citations. I'm choosing to believe he is staying a union man until I see otherwise.

On the other hand even if you take the article as gospel, it only says he is looking to play this season. The union season is over, maybe he wants to play 3 months of league and then sign to the Rebs.

T

TOCC

well going on what the St George CEO was saying the other day, it looks as though Gasnier is keen to sign with them and is in fact looking at a 3yr contract rather then a short 6month contract..

It does all seem rather strange, why they sudden change of mind, why wouldnt he have approached the NRL earlier in the year where they could have done more work under there salary cap etc.

T

TOCC

I guess this might explain a bit, he stands to earn more at St George
Gasnier was guaranteed only $220,000 a season to play for the Rebels and would have to play in every Test for the Wallabies to make over the $400,000 mark.

A

AIDAN

TOCC said:
well going on what the St George CEO was saying the other day, it looks as though Gasnier is keen to sign with them and is in fact looking at a 3yr contract rather then a short 6month contract..

It does all seem rather strange, why they sudden change of mind, why wouldnt he have approached the NRL earlier in the year where they could have done more work under there salary cap etc.

the great thing about a League reporter is the way they take everything out of context. the Daily Telegraph said Gasnier had returned and was "Sick of Union" however it then went on to say that Gasnier's father in law was in fact diagnosed with cancer. so to me their original claim may have not been all that true. back to why he changed his mind suddenly i believe it is because of his father in law and he must be expecting to stay in Aus for quite sometime. he probably wants the easy lifestyle of a league player ;)

S

Spook

I really couldn't care less what Gasnier does. He hasn't shown he is good enough for the Wallaby squad.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Spook said:
I really couldn't care less what Gasnier does. He hasn't shown he is good enough for the Wallaby squad.

That's the wonderful thing about people that have only played 3 years of rugby, they still have a heap of room to improve.

He has shown, in the past, a genuine drive to succeed at the highest level. Which is why this is so out of character.

S

Spook

FUB won't learn quick enough to make a difference.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

TOCC said:
Gasnier was guaranteed only $220,000 a season to play for the Rebels and would have to play in every Test for the Wallabies to make over the $400,000 mark.

well good on the ARU. I'm all for paying guys big money if they play for the Wallabies, but we shouldn't be breaking the bank to get them over here.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Noddy said:
TOCC said:

well good on the ARU. I'm all for paying guys big money if they play for the Wallabies, but we shouldn't be breaking the bank to get them over here.

I do not understand how a league club who is already operating at the salary cap would be able to create an offer to match this, even if it is "back-ended". I sense something else at work.

A

AIDAN

en_force_er said:
Noddy said:
TOCC said:

I do not understand how a league club who is already operating at the salary cap would be able to create an offer to match this, even if it is "back-ended". I sense something else at work.

apparantly they are only paying him $50000 plus match payments which are $4000 a game. it will be topped up each season following

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Dear Supporter,

Thank you for your support as the countdown to February 2011 continues. As I write, the team at the Melbourne Rebels is working on your membership packages to ensure you get the best value and best possible reserved seating options for the 2011 Super Rugby season. You, our supporters, will be the lifeblood of the club as we strive for success on and off the field.

We are very happy with the way our squad is shaping up having signed experienced leaders and internationals who will play a key role in shaping the culture of the new team, along with some of the most dynamic young players in rugby. Many of our players are captains, and that in itself is a very exciting proposition. To date we have signed, in alphabetical order: Peter Betham, Adam Byrnes, Danny Cipriani, Sam Cordingley, Tim Davidson, Gareth Delve, Adam Freier, Luke Jones, Richard Kingi, Hoani Macdonald, Lachlan Mitchell, Stirling Mortlock, Jarrod Saffy, Greg Somerville and Laurie Weeks. Keep your eye on the sports pages as we make further announcements in the next couple of weeks. The players will start arriving in Melbourne in September/October.

In addition to Damien Hill as Assistant Coach, we also welcome to the role of Assistant Coach, Mark Bakewell, who returns to Australia from Bath, and former Wallaby, Nathan Grey, returning from Japan, as Skills Coach. We are fortunate indeed to have men of this caliber on our team.

You’re probably wondering what our logo and strip will look like. It won’t be long now until we unveil our colours and I am confident you’ll be proud to wear them when you join the 31,000 strong crowd at AAMI Park in February.

The inaugural Rebels squad for 2011 will forever hold a special place in history for the city of Melbourne. It’s not often you get the chance to start something from scratch; to create a new team and a new culture; to be the first representative side for a city. We, the Melbourne Rebels, have been afforded that opportunity and look forward to enjoying this special journey with you, our supporters.

Rod Macqueen
Coaching Director & Head Coach

Email from Melbourne Rebels mailing list.

Looks like things will start ramping up soon in terms of memberships, uniforms, etc. Also sounds like there might be some new signings anounced soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.