• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Scarfman said:
Tiny rumours of Israel Folau. I reckon he is the one and only rugby league player that I reckon would be a great pickup. Plus, he would bring a few fans in Melbourne.

Rod and John, if you're reading, Scarfman says BUY.

Just remember who told you first Scarfy.

There was a quote from Rod complaining about how they have been linked to every Tom, Dick and Harry (does anyone else think of Dick Harry when you hear that). While I can understand his frustration they really only have themselves to blame. By fighting so hard for the earlier deadline date everyone expected a flood of signings and they have kept most of their cards close to their chest so speculation is to be expected.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

I don't think the Rebels are going to sign their super star, career best form type player this year. The biggest name the Force signed for their debut season was Sharpe, and he isn't the type of player that people pack stadiums to watch...unless everyone's name was fatprop

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

not much else there for ya lance :p

had to moot you got something right!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

In a couple of articles I've written for theroar I've dropped Matt King's name. I think he'd be a great cross coder.

A great, big ball carrier, good under the high ball and has strong Melbourne links (former Storm boy and has a Melbournian gf). It would be hiring a Storm boy without breaking Waldron's promise.

He would be great if you taught him to find work and mix it up. He'd also be great for a good kick chase/cross field kicking game. Defensively he may struggle against the smaller agile guys but no more than any other of the monster wingers gracing the professional scene lately.

I think more leaguies would do ok in union than people give them credit for, it's just they all get turned into OCs and that is a very difficult position. I think if we start seeing them more as potential wingers they'd do A-OK. This being said I am not saying many current leaguies would be great cross-coders.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

It would be better if we could get more kids playing rugby first up, we've almost reached the halfway point, i reckon 2020 rugby should be massive if managed well and with a bit of luck. The olympics everyone dismisses but it really does get more people playing and then theres this IC stuff from the leagueys where it will be a massive failure and they'll all lose out, rugby takes its place, just keep at the roots and the rest grows stronger

S

Salad Fingers

I'm pretty sure Lloyd Johansson is in their sights or has already been signed after he finishes up in italy. He made a quick trip down here to melbourne a couple of months ago and ever since his been copping a bit of banter from some of his mates about being a rebel... so maybe maybe not

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

en_force_er said:
I think more leaguies would do ok in union than people give them credit for, it's just they all get turned into OCs and that is a very difficult position. I think if we start seeing them more as potential wingers they'd do A-OK. This being said I am not saying many current leaguies would be great cross-coders.

While it may be his Rugby background as kid, I am thinking that Chambers is showing that the key is getting them back early.

Ideally, at around 19-20 or so, but after 24 or so and they've lost some adaptability in their learning process and it becomes harder for them to convert to Rugby. They've just got too many trained habits from league.

C

CanadianRugby

If Somerville signs who plays LHP? They are both he and Weeks are pretty good tightheads. Nice to see they aren't afraid to add depth, I guess.

T

tranquility

from that club championship video on the front page - Damon Murphy - looked a cut above the rest and should be a real target. I know it wasn't the best teams from either side, but they are hardly hacks either.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

CanadianRugby said:
If Somerville signs who plays LHP? They are both he and Weeks are pretty good tightheads. Nice to see they aren't afraid to add depth, I guess.

Weeks plays both sides.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

en_force_er said:
CanadianRugby said:

Weeks plays both sides.

So does Somerville

T

TOCC

James Buchanan said:
en_force_er said:

While it may be his Rugby background as kid, I am thinking that Chambers is showing that the key is getting them back early.

Ideally, at around 19-20 or so, but after 24 or so and they've lost some adaptability in their learning process and it becomes harder for them to convert to Rugby. They've just got too many trained habits from league.

exactly, a lot of it is muscle reflex as well, we do repetitive training so in the games its what we do naturally. Wrestlers and boxers practice moves over and over so that come the fight it just happens naturally without them thinking about it.
Rugby union/league players are excatly the same, also the older you become the harder it is to change old habits.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

so who are the ones to target?

Joe Tamone from the GC?

That Jared Warea-Hargraves from Roosters?

Who else is there?

Cyril Towers (30)

en_force_er said:
CanadianRugby said:

Weeks plays both sides.
I've been watching Weeks since 2003 in Joeys, Uni and now Reds teams. I have never seem him play anything other than THP.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Noddy said:
so who are the ones to target?

Joe Tamone from the GC?

That Jared Warea-Hargraves from Roosters?

Who else is there?

Your best bet is the kids in the Toyota Cup, if you ask me.

C

CanadianRugby

topo said:
en_force_er said:
CanadianRugby said:

Weeks plays both sides.
I've been watching Weeks since 2003 in Joeys, Uni and now Reds teams. I have never seem him play anything other than THP.

And I don't remember Somerville playing LHP very much with the 'Saders and All Blacks.

Who would YOU start at LHP?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Somerville is well known as being ambiproperous.

A 19 year old Jared Warea-Hargraves played in the ARC for the Central Coast team didn't he?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Cutter said:

A 19 year old Jared Warea-Hargraves played in the ARC for the Central Coast team didn't he?

What happened to him? I seem to remember reading that he was the next Next Big Thing.

C

CanadianRugby

Cutter said:

ambiproperous. love it. is that your creation?

Status
Not open for further replies.