• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Biffo said:
Cutter said:
A 19 year old Jared Warea-Hargraves played in the ARC for the Central Coast team didn't he?
What happened to him? I seem to remember reading that he was the next Next Big Thing.

The Sea Eagles thought the same thing at the time, Biffo, and promptly signed him up for the 2008 season. It was a matter of money, Manly were prepared to pay a 19yo much more than the Tahs would. When his contract with Manly expired the Roosters stepped in and pinched him.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

has he played any games at all?

i was glad he was gone bit of a mungo if i remember well

T

TOCC

louie said:
has he played any games at all?

i was glad he was gone bit of a mungo if i remember well

yeah his played quite a bit of NRL, think his with the Roosters now

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

JWH was a bit overrated I think. Like Biffo said, he was labelled as the "Next Big Thing", then some quality journalist also stuck the "Next Sonny Bill Williams" tag onto him. His performances in the MARC didn't come close to justifying those selections.

BTW, JWH played for the Kiwis in a league test against Australia (ableit the Kiwis were a bit decimated by injury). Made some big hits, but not as effective carrying the ball. Makes a passable club NRL player I think, but not rep quality. Not nearly as good as the press built him up to be - otherwise Manly would not have let him go (although how Manly manage to keep their rather largeish stable of big names I don't know - but I Lee Grant).

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Ash said:
Like Biffo said, he was labelled as the "Next Big Thing",

Correction. I wrote the "next Next Big Thing" :)

T

tranquility

He went to Iona in Queensland who didn't have a very strong side that year, he was a big guy who was very loud on the field but he didn't play Australian schoolboys, and I'm not sure if he even played QLD schools? LG might be able to help me out there.

However he was a lump of a lad and was running round in the club rugby and the Waratahs threw him a lifeline and yeah the plaudits kept rolling in.

Haven't seen him play much of either code to tell you the truth

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

No, he didn't play for Queensland schools.

I saw a lot of him at no. 8 for the Rays as I saw every game they played in Sydney or Gosford as well as the TV games, and downloadable games with only the officials talking as the commentary.

He started a lot and though nobody believed the hype before the ARC started, he was travelling well for his age. Had he stayed in the academy he could have got a rookie contract with the Tahs after Lyons left had he not gone to league before then. Reminded me a bit of a younger Horua. Tough young bugger with a bit of skill too; not a dud by any means but never a SBW.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I thought he was called into the QLD 2 team late in 2006 or 07. He is only 21 and may take some time to develop. I had a chat to him about playing club rugby in Brisbane before he went to the Tah's. Was very ambitious and wanted to rise as quick as he could. Was not even close to the latest Iona old boy, Quirk, in terms of talent.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...s--and-he-wont-be-the-last-20100417-slex.html

Saffy jumps codes to Rebels - and he won't be the last
JOSH RAKIC
April 18, 2010

DRAGONS enforcer Jarrod Saffy has turned his back on the NRL and become the first league player to link with Super 15 rugby franchise the Melbourne Rebels.

In a massive coup for the Brian Waldron-led club, which has made clear its intentions to poach NRL players, 25-year-old Saffy will join Melbourne on a three-year deal in October worth considerably more than his St George Illawarra contract.

South African-born Saffy has been a mainstay of the Dragons pack since joining the club last year. His decision to leave follows the departure of fellow prop Justin Poore last season, and Luke Priddis is expected to retire at season's end.

Injured and not expected to return until round 10, Saffy is in Western Australia visiting family, and he and the Dragons club have been sworn to secrecy until coach Wayne Bennett has an opportunity to talk to the former Wests Tiger. It is believed Bennett wants reassurance from Saffy that he is committed to the Dragons' premiership charge.

''I'm not going to lie to you - he's coming,'' said Rebels CEO Waldron, who jumped ship from the NRL after five years as Melbourne Storm CEO.

''We sounded him out. We've had genuine interest in him and he's a player of great potential.

''He's a player with a solid rugby background and someone who we think will be great asset to the Rebels on and off the field.

''We've always said we were interested in NRL players with strong rugby backgrounds and he's a former junior representative.

''I think he's spoken with Wayne and he knows it's just a matter of working out a few things for him internally.''

Saffy was reluctant to discuss the move, which is sure to cause an uproar in the rugby league community; Melbourne insiders warn there will be more signings in coming months.

''We're going to have to get some league players - there's no doubt about it,'' the source said. ''Look at the talent pool in Australian rugby and what is already signed - you're going to have to look elsewhere. Don't be surprised to see a few jump ship.''

Saffy becomes the first forward since Brisbane Broncos' Peter Ryan (2000) and Brad Thorn (2001) to switch to rugby union. Both of them later won Super premierships.

The hard-working back-rower represented the Australian Sevens team in Hong Kong, where he played alongside Super 14 stars Adam Ashley-Cooper, Richard Brown, Ben Mowen and Peter Hewat. He is expected to play No.7 or No.8 for the Rebels.

The Australian Rugby Union has publicly baulked at signing rugby league converts following the acrimonious departures of Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Timana Tahu, but agreed to allow Saffy's signing given his rich rugby past. However, he hasn't be granted an ARU top-up contract.

Saffy joins former Broncos five-eighth Berrick Barnes and former Melbourne Storm flyer Will Chambers in rugby

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

I don't know much about most league players but he doesn't sound too bad a prospect.

A little older than I'd personally like but I'm sure he'll provide plenty of starch for the team.

As the article states, its a sensible enough place to target players from. Just as long as they are actively interested in coming over because they want to play rugby, have the skills to play the game and aren't just chasing a paycheque.

Given Saffy's relatively low profile (at least for a melbourne kid like myself) I can't see him being so much in the same boat as some of the other high profile recruits.

C

CanadianRugby

so as it stands:
1. Weeks
2. Frier
3. Somerville (unofficially)
4. Brynes
5. Luke Jones
6. Davidson
7. Saffy
8. Delve
9. Kingi
12. Mortlock
13. Mitchell
14. Betham
15. Cipriani

19. Cordingley
Getting closer to a team. Not sure what people think about the back row. Can this Saffy person really play 7? I have never seen/heard of him, because I live in the cold north and dislike league.

Still hoping Beau Robinson signs. Any guesses who they have in their sights for 10?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

CanadianRugby said:
Getting closer to a team. Not sure what people think about the back row. Can this Saffy person really play 7? I have never seen/heard of him, because I live in the cold north and dislike league.

Still hoping Beau Robinson signs. Any guesses who they have in their sights for 10?

I reckon they still have an ace up their sleeve for 6.

I'm sure they wanted either one of the ACT kids for 10, but didn't get them. I think one of the bonuses of having Cips signed is that if they don't get a top rate 10 from elsewhere, he can play that position for them.

C

CanadianRugby

My understanding with Cipriani was that he signed with the understanding that he could play fullback, which he prefers. I'm sure Rod could talk him into moving to 10, but I think they would rather avoid that.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

CanadianRugby said:
My understanding with Cipriani was that he signed with the understanding that he could play fullback, which he prefers. I'm sure Rod could talk him into moving to 10, but I think they would rather avoid that.

I'd prefer to see him at fullback myself. I think that's an enlightened move, if they can get a decent 10. Its why I was so keen to see To'omua go to Melbourne.

But, if they can't get a top rate or otherwise class 10 he provides them with an option there while they develop another potential player.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Anyone got details on this Saffy bloke?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Biffo said:
Anyone got details on this Saffy bloke?

I think he went to Joeys and played Australian Schoolboys in 2002. Comes from a Saffer family who moved here in about 2000. Played for Wests Tigers straight out of school before moving to the Dragons some three years ago.

Had a good chinwag with his brother 18 months ago at a hospitality exhibition. The family are agents for a glass mashing contraption they were keen to sell to restaurants. My suggestion was to ensure the bottles were empty first. ::) ::) ::)

T

TOCC

he made Australian 7's and was in the Waratahs Academy as well, but the Tigers came knocking with a full time contract that he took

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

the wikipedia entry seems comprehensive and referenced enough, i even checked out the references, the guy said that league was better to play and watch so he sounds like a mungo who should stay where he was to me, apparently he played off the bench most gamesna d has only played 40 games in 5 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.