• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

CanadianRugby said:
Pyke said he left Union because he was an athlete and he needed to make money, which he wasn't really making in Union. He was certainly an important part of the Canadian backline. It would be nice to see him play Super 15, just so he could line up for Canada agian.

The isn't true. It was due to injuries.

He'd been a professional union player for a number of years but was having trouble with his back (I think) which led him to actively seek a career change based on an Australian friend's advice.

C

CanadianRugby

en_force_er said:
CanadianRugby said:
Pyke said he left Union because he was an athlete and he needed to make money, which he wasn't really making in Union. He was certainly an important part of the Canadian backline. It would be nice to see him play Super 15, just so he could line up for Canada agian.

He'd been a professional union player for a number of years but was having trouble with his back (I think) which led him to actively seek a career change based on an Australian friend's advice.
So I was pretty sure I read an interview where he said he wasn't making enough money as a semi-pro to live and wanted to try a different sport, however I can't find it anywhere, so I'll just concede the point. Still wish we was playing rugby fior Canada. Good player, great highlight intercept against the ABs

T

TOCC

CanadianRugby said:
en_force_er said:
CanadianRugby said:

So I was pretty sure I read an interview where he said he wasn't making enough money as a semi-pro to live and wanted to try a different sport, however I can't find it anywhere, so I'll just concede the point. Still wish we was playing rugby fior Canada. Good player, great highlight intercept against the ABs

that would make sense, i dont see how playing AFL would make you any less injury prone, the game is highly physical still

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

TOCC said:
that would make sense, i dont see how playing AFL would make you any less injury prone, the game is highly physical still

I didn't say I agreed with it, it's just what happened.

Read some of the cited sources on the wikipedia article.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...melbourne-rebels/story-e6frg7mf-1225853374854

FORMER All Blacks prop Greg Somerville is poised to sign with Super 15 expansion franchise Melbourne Rebels.

FORMER All Blacks prop Greg Somerville is poised to sign with Super 15 expansion franchise Melbourne Rebels.

Sources in England revealed Somerville, who plays for Gloucester, had agreed to terms with the Rebels.

"I'm happy to say Greg Somerville is one of the players we are talking to," Rebels head coach Rod Macqueen said.

Somerville, who can play on both sides of the scrum, would be an excellent pick-up for the Rebels with his excellent scrummaging and work in the loose.

Macqueen confirmed the Rebels would also be interested in Brumbies number eight, Stephen Hoiles, who is being courted by Stade Francais coach-elect Michael Cheika.

Cheika is also trying to talk rugby league convert Mark Gasnier into staying with Stade Francais instead of returning to Australia to play for the Rebels or the Reds.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

There is speculation that the Rebels could sign rugby league star Israel Folau within two weeks, despite officials at his current club, the Brisbane Broncos, claiming he has promised to see out the remaining two years of his deal with them.

Macqueen said the Rebels were happy with the progress of their recruiting campaign.

"There is a misconception we are going after every possible player," he said. "The reality is we have a bit of time to make decisions.

"We've signed some older players, which will be good for our culture and now we are looking at players in key positions."

Meanwhile, Brumbies five-eighth Matt To'omua will be sidelined for three to four weeks with a knee injury.

To'omua sustained the injury while scoring a try in the Brumbies' 61-15 win against the Cheetahs in Canberra last Saturday night.

He will miss the sixth-placed Brumbies' matches with the Hurricanes, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds and possibly the Highlanders, returning for the last-round game against the Crusaders.

Wallabies playmaker Matt Giteau is expected to move from inside centre to five-eighth with Tyrone Smith starting at No 12 against the Hurricanes in Canberra on Friday night.

With veteran midfielder Stirling Mortlock also unlikely to return from a back injury, Adam Ashley-Cooper could move from the wing to outside centre with Alfi Mafi or Andrew Smith starting on the flank.

Wallabies back-five forward Mitch Chapman remains in doubt with the hip injury he sustained in the Cheetahs game.

building the scrum now

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

RugbyFuture said:
Macqueen said the Rebels were happy with the progress of their recruiting campaign.

"There is a misconception we are going after every possible player," he said. "The reality is we have a bit of time to make decisions.

Many people have been guilty of that misconception. You didn't have to know much about Macqueen to have avoided it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

If the Rebels sign a top LH prop then Weeks could go to the bench. Hopefully it's not a wasted move for him - moving from a starting spot at the improving Reds to a bench spot at the Rebels who will likely struggle in their first year.

Somerville is a good signing though. Somerville, Freier, Weeks - very good foundation front row. Still lacking a second row, apart from Byrnes.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I'm sorry someone didn't pick up Peter Hewat. A quick look at his Waratahs record shows that he was a very fine player. He was the best ball thief I ever saw and he could sniff a try from anywhere. His kicking was ultra reliable. I haven't got the stats, but I would think he was a top five points scorer every year he played. Yes he wasn't the best tackler ever to lace on a pair of boots, but there are some absolute legends who were worse than him.

He got treated badly by the selectors for most of his career, with some absolute no-talents selected in front of him, but the worst thing that could have happened was the phone call on speaker phone. How several people didn't get banned for life after that I'll never know and it caused him to go overseas. I wish him well in Japan, but if he's still as good as he was its our S15 loss.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Ash, they have young Luke Jones for the time being.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Hawko said:
I'm sorry someone didn't pick up Peter Hewat. A quick look at his Waratahs record shows that he was a very fine player. He was the best ball thief I ever saw and he could sniff a try from anywhere. His kicking was ultra reliable. I haven't got the stats, but I would think he was a top five points scorer every year he played. Yes he wasn't the best tackler ever to lace on a pair of boots, but there are some absolute legends who were worse than him.

He got treated badly by the selectors for most of his career, with some absolute no-talents selected in front of him, but the worst thing that could have happened was the phone call on speaker phone. How several people didn't get banned for life after that I'll never know and it caused him to go overseas. I wish him well in Japan, but if he's still as good as he was its our S15 loss.

Hewat's lack of pace and tackling skills had nothing to do with it? Just who are the "no-talents"?

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

Have to agree - as much as his knack with timely intercepts, reliability and kicking were an asset to the Tahs - his lack of pace / defense cost him a Wallabies jumper. Gerrard ticked all the boxes except pace and he ended up in Japan...

As poor form as the speaker phone incident was it didn't make him go overseas - it simply showed that he was wasting time playing for a cap that would never come.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

Hawko said:

Wasn't it SNK and Lachie Turner who replaced Hewatt (depending on whether you considered him a 14 or 15)? Hewatt was much less effective in his final year, the oppositions had worked him out. The speaker phone incident was terrible though and no one deserved that.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Noddy said:
Ash, they have young Luke Jones for the time being.

Hmmmm, yeah.

1. Greg Somerville (NZ)
2. Adam Freier (Aus)
3. Laurie Weeks (Aus)
4. Adam Byrnes (Aus)
5. Luke Jones (Aus)
6. Tim Davidson (Aus)
7. [lipman (Eng) /Robinson (Aus) still possible, I guess]
8. Gareth Delve (Wal)

Not the best pack in the S14, but definitely not the worst either. Depth is an issue, seeing as they have only signed 7 players so far! I think Luke Jones will likely be a bench player only for the first year.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

I know it's been mentioned earlier, but I am surprised the Rebels are not chasing Turinuri (or they haven't been speculated to be chasing Morgs in the press yet).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Ash said:
I know it's been mentioned earlier, but I am surprised the Rebels are not chasing Turinuri (or they haven't been speculated to be chasing Morgs in the press yet).

Surely he is part of Link's leadershjiop group and would want to stay in Brisbane for that reason so they may not even bother? Or they think he sucks.

T

TOCC

Blue said:
Ash said:

Surely he is part of Link's leadershjiop group and would want to stay in Brisbane for that reason so they may not even bother? Or they think he sucks.

would Link have really left him in Brisbane when the Reds were in South Africa if he considered Turinui part of his 'leadership group'..

I like Turinui, but it seems as though his days are numbered at the Reds.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Tiny rumours of Israel Folau. I reckon he is the one and only rugby league player that I reckon would be a great pickup. Plus, he would bring a few fans in Melbourne.

Rod and John, if you're reading, Scarfman says BUY.

Status
Not open for further replies.