• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Ash said:
Biffo said:
Hawko said:
I'd be interested to see a good full forward or ruckman at 6.

I'd be interested to see - and it would happen - any S14 number 6 or athletic 4 or 5 belt the living daylights out of the AFL's "big men", either full forward or ruckman. It would be a total mismatch, a massacree.

You're right. The full forward and ruckman would "massacree" the converted rugby player. People who assume that X and Y from game Z could play game C and belt A and B are generally wrong when both games are fully professional.

You have it the wrong way round. I wrote of what would happen if an AFL big man lined up in rugby.

Talk of footballers crossing codes is usually nonsense. The codes - even rugby and league - are so far apart that transition is massive. We might as well discuss how Tiger Woods would go as a centre. Come to think of that, I reckon Ernie Els might go OK as a rugby fullback.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Ash said:
But someone mentioned Pyke, the Canadian lock/blindside who joined the Swans as a ruckman. Pyke would've been good enough to play for some of the weaker S14 teams. And seen his success? I'll help - he's not one.

I'm 95% sure Pyke was a fullback (a fucking massive fullback at that). He was a very very handy one.

You are right in saying he would only play for the weaker S14 teams (i.e Lions) but coming from Canada that would be a huge achievement.

His switch to AFL was more about his body not being able to take the pressures put on it by professional rugby. I don't really think AFL would be much better but apparently it is.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Biffo said:
You have it the wrong way round. I wrote of what would happen if an AFL big man lined up in rugby.

Talk of footballers crossing codes is usually nonsense. The codes - even rugby and league - are so far apart that transition is massive. We might as well discuss how Tiger Woods would go as a centre. Come to think of that, I reckon Ernie Els might go OK as a rugby fullback.

Ah, in that case, I agree. Professional sportsman train day in day out for skills in one game which don't translate well to another, not to mention core strength work, flexibility and fitness types differ for the games as well. Going from AFL to Union or Union to AFL just won't work.

On that note, I am really looking forward to seeing Karmichael Hunt in AFL. I am thinking he will be nowhere first year, then here and there from then on. A waste. Merely publicity...

T

tranquility

He did show talent in the game when he was in school. However I am also very skeptical in how he will go with the big boys kicking the sherrin from the half back line.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Pete Hewet just mentioned on twitter about an exciting signing announcement about him tomorrow. I wonder if he's coming home? Perhaps to the Rebels? Perhaps to the Reds?

And how about Matty Rogers, now he knows he won't get another Titans contract, saying he'd consider the Rebels.

Fuck me. Not a chance Matty.

T

TOCC

Rogers burned enough bridges when he left union, I would hate to see him come back

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

TOCC said:
Rogers burned enough bridges when he left union, I would hate to see him come back

Rogers or Hewet? Both such oldies. Expensive ones at that.

The Rebels need to be smarter with their coin.

T

TOCC

For all we know Hewat could be just signing a contract extension with his current club, however could it be coincidental that this announcement is to be made the same day that Link returns from the republic.

en_force_er said:
TOCC said:

Rogers obviously, Hewat never left union nor did he burn any bridges, if anything Hewat was hard done by, departing in such acrimonious circumstances

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

en_force_er said:
TOCC said:

Not sure Hewie would cost a bomb. He hasn't been getting a regular starting spot at Irish

It's looking like McQueen is just looking ahead just a year or so, which might be pretty sensible to start with

T

TOCC

I think Hewie would be a fantastic signing, he still has a lot to offer the game in Australia

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I know the Link loves him and has been speaking to him. So who knows?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Noddy said:
I know the Link loves him and has been speaking to him. So who knows?

If Hynes were on the move to Melbourne it might make sense.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Paul Warwick is one player I would like to see back in Oz.

T

TOCC

the supporters on the London Irish website seem to believe he will be returning to OZ

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

What would Exiles fans know about Paul Warwick's intentions? Edit - the London Irish fans were talking about Hewat, not Warwick. Oops.

Warwick would be great to have back as I have mentioned a few times. He is definitely one that got away though few of us would have said that when he left. He has improved out of sight.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

Hewie and Morty in the same team? Fox Sports is going to have to invest in a time-lapse camera to capture the Rebels back-line moves...

C

CanadianRugby

Pyke said he left Union because he was an athlete and he needed to make money, which he wasn't really making in Union. He was certainly an important part of the Canadian backline. It would be nice to see him play Super 15, just so he could line up for Canada agian.

Status
Not open for further replies.