• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

Biffo said:
Anyone got details on this Saffy bloke?

He's a real hard player for my Dragons league team though he doesn't start the game. Was a good player at Joeys and I was sorry that he left the union game; so it's good to get another one back.

If he goes well he'll end up being a Richard Brown kind of player.

Jets said:
I thought JWH was called into the QLD 2 team late in 2006 or 07. He is only 21 and may take some time to develop. I had a chat to him about playing club rugby in Brisbane before he went to the Tah's. Was very ambitious and wanted to rise as quick as he could. Was not even close to the latest Iona old boy, Quirk, in terms of talent.

He's not in the programmes for those 2 years (which were my sources), but if he was called in late they probably printed the programme before then. If he did play, he did nothing memorable as I make all kinds of notes during the week.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I don't know anything about this Saffy player but I'm sure that if Lee rates him he could really go places. Hopefully he does in Melbourne colours.

However to go off on a tangent isn't it ridiculous in this article, http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/codebreaker-prepares-for-action/2009/08/06/1249350638687.html?page=2, Saffy is decribed by the league media as a "Codebreaker". This term is strong and powerful.

Yet in this article, http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/saffy-jumps-codes-to-rebels--and-he-wont-be-the-last-20100417-slex.html, he "jumps codes" and "turns his back on the NRL". I swear Union media try to make there own code look foolish. I mean it's one thing for the league media to suggest union robs them of players, they have to represent their own agenda and that is fair enough, but it's a whole different thing for the Union media to do likewise.

Saffy is as much of a league to union convert as Rocky Elsom is (in other words, he isn't).

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

en_force_er said:
I don't know anything about this Saffy player but I'm sure that if Lee rates him he could really go places. Hopefully he does in Melbourne colours.

However to go off on a tangent isn't it ridiculous in this article, http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/codebreaker-prepares-for-action/2009/08/06/1249350638687.html?page=2, Saffy is decribed by the league media as a "Codebreaker". This term is strong and powerful.

Yet in this article, http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/saffy-jumps-codes-to-rebels--and-he-wont-be-the-last-20100417-slex.html, he "jumps codes" and "turns his back on the NRL". I swear Union media try to make there own code look foolish. I mean it's one thing for the league media to suggest union robs them of players, they have to represent their own agenda and that is fair enough, but it's a whole different thing for the Union media to do likewise.

Saffy is as much of a league to union convert as Rocky Elsom is (in other words, he isn't).

not union....rugby, as governed by the International Rugby board, not the international rugby union board

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
not union....rugby, as governed by the International Rugby board, not the international rugby union board

Sigh. You understood what I meant and I got it across in a clear and concise manner with the word "union".

Ask yourself, does it really matter?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

I'm with Enforcer, it's pretty much the same as the nauseating "Football vs Soccer" arguments.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

en_force_er said:
RugbyFuture said:

Sigh. You understood what I meant and I got it across in a clear and concise manner with the word "union".

Ask yourself, does it really matter?

It does.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Why exactly? Just seems like one of those pointless flags people hold up so it looks like they stand for something...Union is obviously an acceptable term to use in conversation in a place like Australia where two rugby codes are played. Everyone who uses the term Union is aware that the game is called rugby... they're not idiots. Think of it like a nickname and calm down.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Godfrey said:
Why exactly? Just seems like one of those pointless flags people hold up so it looks like they stand for something...Union is obviously an acceptable term to use in conversation in a place like Australia where two rugby codes are played. Everyone who uses the term Union is aware that the game is called rugby... they're not idiots. Think of it like a nickname and calm down.

That's a gigantic assumption you're making there.

If I told someone I was going to watch "the rugby" down here in Melbourne, they'd say "oh, the Storm?".

It may be pedantry to some, but the game that was developed at the Rugby school and later codified is what people refer to as "Rugby Union". League is an offshoot of that game, as such it bears the obligation of distinguishing itself from the core game. Rugby does not bear that obligation, but every time you do differentiate it by calling it "Rugby Union" or "Union" while it is clear it reinforces certain ideas.

Why do you think FFA (amongst others) have made such a big effort to re-brand "Soccer" into "Football" in Australia? Because naming matters to them, because being called football emphasises that you are the dominant ball sport in a region, much like it is elsewhere in the world. Rugby will likely never be in that position but, we are in the position to claim the name "Rugby" which should be all the more important because we live in a country where both the original and the splinter code are played.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

James Buchanan said:
Godfrey said:

That's a gigantic assumption you're making there.

If I told someone I was going to watch "the rugby" down here in Melbourne, they'd say "oh, the Storm?".

It may be pedantry to some, but the game that was developed at the Rugby school and later codified is what people refer to as "Rugby Union". League is an offshoot of that game, as such it bears the obligation of distinguishing itself from the core game. Rugby does not bear that obligation, but every time you do differentiate it by calling it "Rugby Union" or "Union" while it is clear it reinforces certain ideas.

Why do you think FFA (amongst others) have made such a big effort to re-brand "Soccer" into "Football" in Australia? Because naming matters to them, because being called football emphasises that you are the dominant ball sport in a region, much like it is elsewhere in the world. Rugby will likely never be in that position but, we are in the position to claim the name "Rugby" which should be all the more important because we live in a country where both the original and the splinter code are played.

Not quite. The game that was developed at the Rugby school was later (early 1860s) codified as "Rugby" for which administration rested with the Rugby Union.

Those who later broke from the Rugby Union to create a new game with new rules wanted their game to be "Rugby", administered by the Rugby League.

I have had that Melbourne Storm experience many times.

A mate of mine in Melbourne, avid AFL fan, insists he played "rugby" at school in Brisbane and thus knows all about the game. I asked him which game he played and he didn't know. When I asked him to describe whar happened when a player was tackled, he didn't know.

Definitions matter.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Does anyone know whether the Eton Wall Game is still played?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

DPK said:
Does anyone know whether the Eton Wall Game is still played?

I've heard there's the odd fixture in Jerusalem. On occasions. ::) ::) ::)

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)

Biffo said:
A mate of mine in Melbourne, avid AFL fan, insists he played "rugby" at school in Brisbane and thus knows all about the game. I asked him which game he played and he didn't know. When I asked him to describe whar happened when a player was tackled, he didn't know.

It doesn't help with the Herald putting the league and union scores together in the sports pages under Rugby.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

Biffo, the International Rugby Football board was formed by then so i would presume that because it is te same organisation that administered that game of rugby is still in administration of rugby today, the other is league as demonstrated by their "global" administration.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Saffy...an athlete, not a footballer. Don't rate him much. I think his original problem in union was he didn't really have a position ; a bit of a tweener.

Status
Not open for further replies.