• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions vs Reds Rd 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes. But it's not just SA refs who are responsible for howlers. It happens every weekend. Two of the refs in the games you mention are not up to standard. That is the issue.

I simply do not buy the theory that this is deliberate cheating. It's incompetence.

But elsewhere at least bad decisions go both ways. In SA, they only seem to go one way - too blatent by far

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
And the idea visiting teams are "always" getting the rough end of the stick in SA due to the fact they are incapable of providing fair match officials has an underlying assumption that there is something about being South African that makes one less likely to be able to be a fair participant in a global sporting contest. That is borderline racism.

Well its less than borderline refereeing:(

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
But elsewhere at least bad decisions go both ways. In SA, they only seem to go one way - too blatent by far

I wouldn't say that, there's been a few poor performances other ways, but they tend to favour the home teams, even in SA derbies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ugh that last 10min was so hard to watch. Massive implosion.

At this stage only Simmons, Gill, Genia and Cooper should be in Wallaby contention. Speaking of which, Quade is really playing well right now.

Too many fucking penalties!!!

I don't think we are playing shit, but too inconsistent and poorly disciplined.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The concern last night was Quade's defence. It was back to the upright, trying to strip the ball bullshit. He lacked the mental commitment to put the shoulder in. Unfortunately I think Quade's commitment to defence is the window to his soul in regards to his buy in to the team plan. I do wonder if Richard Graham hasn't lost the dressing room.

If he has, I would say that has less to do with Graham's ability and more to the fact that he would be living in Ewen's shadow. He would be a hard act to follow.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The concern last night was Quade's defence. It was back to the upright, trying to strip the ball bullshit. He lacked the mental commitment to put the shoulder in. Unfortunately I think Quade's commitment to defence is the window to his soul in regards to his buy in to the team plan. I do wonder if Richard Graham hasn't lost the dressing room.

If he has, I would say that has less to do with Graham's ability and more to the fact that he would be living in Ewen's shadow. He would be a hard act to follow.

Until this tour he had missed 1 tackle. Now you say after one poor game that this is a key insight into Graham having lost the team. I have heard some good stuff at times but this almost takes the cake. There was that excellent front on tackle that led to the first try. Perhaps all those years of defending badly under Link meant he secretly did not buy into the plan as well.

The issue is on the paddock, not tactics. Reds have left a lot of points out there this year due to poor execution. Coach can be responsible for this to an extent but the players also need to take some responsibility.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Until this tour he had missed 1 tackle. Now you say after one poor game that this is a key insight into Graham having lost the team. I have heard some good stuff at times but this almost takes the cake. There was that excellent front on tackle that led to the first try. Perhaps all those years of defending badly under Link meant he secretly did not buy into the plan as well.

The issue is on the paddock, not tactics. Reds have left a lot of points out there this year due to poor execution. Coach can be responsible for this to an extent but the players also need to take some responsibility.

You know the part where is said "I wonder" and "if he has", that's called speculation and is a legitimate part of a discussion.

I never said it was a fact.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

What game were you watching? He was good in defence?

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
At the end of the day the less said about this game may be better.

When Nick Mallet says the Reds were ripped off by a SA team, you just need to move on and hope Lyndon Bray deals with it correctly.

As for the Reds, it's all uphill from here. Finals are probably out of the question now.

Wise words Ash. Let's just hope after this debacle that other Aussie teams which play in SA get a fair shake.

As for our beloved Reds - stick a fork in us, we're done. The form the Tahs & Brumbies are in, we would need a lot of results to go our way to make the six in any fashion. And unless the boys suddenly kick on, we aren't playing the sort of footy to get us there anyhow. Where's that crying smiley when I need it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Wise words Ash. Let's just hope after this debacle that other Aussie teams which play in SA get a fair shake.

As for our beloved Reds - stick a fork in us, we're done. The form the Tahs & Brumbies are in, we would need a lot of results to go our way to make the six in any fashion. And unless the boys suddenly kick on, we aren't playing the sort of footy to get us there anyhow. Where's that crying smiley when I need it.

Just a thought - lets suppose its not all the ref for a moment and its actually about the players and team. So let say, 15 metres out, times up, game on the line and you would expect every player to be putting it on the line!

If only he didn't stand there and watch like he had concrete boots but supported the ball carrier! Could have been the difference.

The whole refereeing discussion would be a secondary discussion!
Capture 2.JPG

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just a thought - lets suppose its not all the ref for a moment and its actually about the players and team. So let say, 15 metres out, times up, game on the line and you would expect every player to be putting it on the line!

If only he didn't stand there and watch like he had concrete boots but supported the ball carrier! Could have been the difference.

The whole refereeing discussion would be a secondary discussion!

Or, you could admit the ref was absolutely horrible and cost the Reds the game. Is that so hard?

Wonder what you would be saying if that happened to the Brumbies....

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

The whole refereeing discussion would be a secondary discussion!View attachment 4543

Yeah that passage of play was pretty ordinary, as soon as the pick & go went I put my head in my hands. We probably could have got through them out wide.

The reffing wouldn't be a secondary discussion though - it really was that bad that it would still be dominating things.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mate the article is hidden behind the pay wall.
highlight first paragraph, right click, search google for ".........", click on first link

I found the Dom Shipperley non try the most baffling to be honest (and that is saying something)...

Given what happened in last week's lion's game, you would think that Stuart might have been given some clarity, particularly given:

http://www.sareferees.com/News/law-discussion-two-super-incidents/2830114/

And particularly given that Stuart Berry decides to penalise the Lions player for something.

The replay is quite clear: Horwill loses the ball forwards due to the Lions player stripping the ball late in the tackle, which would mean that it should be play on (and the try awarded). If it were a penalty, then surely that infringement (given it happened prior to, and the cause of, the dropped ball) would mean advantage would ensue (as it did) and the try awarded.

Given that this particular decision was with the benefit of the TMO assistance, I just can't fathom his decision at all.

http://www.sareferees.com/ref-replies/duty-ref-467--stuart-berry/2829599/

From the horses mouth:

Mouth of Horse said:
Hi Marlon – a knock on by law is defined as having travelled forward off the hand of the player in possession. The example form the Blues/Lions game refers where it did not go forward off the Lions player's hand, and hence no knock-on.

Then what was the penalty for? It should have been a scrum with a Lion's feed.

Mystifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.