• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions vs Reds Rd 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
TO clarify yes I was on the piss last night and was using some extravagent hyperbole to express frustration but that still stank.

I was out and the moment the full time whistle went I went straight home, total buzz kill. That refereeing was not of a professional standard

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
TO clarify yes I was on the piss last night and was using some extravagent hyperbole to express frustration but that still stank.

I was out and the moment the full time whistle went I went straight home, total buzz kill. That refereeing was not of a professional standard
Really? I hadn't noticed at all. Was it just one post or was there 47 of them?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I wish the South African teams would go north. The refs are bias as all Hell. Even the commentators are. This has got to stop.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I wish the South African teams would go north. The refs are bias as all Hell. Even the commentators are. This has got to stop.

Where? North pole?

Not the biased commentator discussion again please. Pretty please.

Get a grip. SA teams have been at the wrong end of reefing decisions over in these parts. Plenty times

The problem is not one or other country. It's the fact that Sanzar put the refs in this position in the first place. Should never have happened.

That is the issue. Not matching fixing. Not cheating.

Berry should be fired right away.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Where? North pole?

Not the biased commentator discussion again please. Pretty please.

Get a grip. SA teams have been at the wrong end of reefing decisions over in these parts. Plenty times

The problem is not one or other country. It's the fact that Sanzar put the refs in this position in the first place. Should never have happened.

That is the issue. Not matching fixing. Not cheating.
Mate it's way to obvious. There was a knock on by the lions scrum half ones and the touchy didn't bat an eye lid. Not to mention all the rest. This is becoming consistent. The reds, blues and hurricanes have all been shafted.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Mate it's way to obvious. There was a knock on by the lions scrum half ones and the touchy didn't bat an eye lid. Not to mention all the rest. This is becoming consistent. The reds, blues and hurricanes have all been shafted.

Yes. But it's not just SA refs who are responsible for howlers. It happens every weekend. Two of the refs in the games you mention are not up to standard. That is the issue.

I simply do not buy the theory that this is deliberate cheating. It's incompetence.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would like To say the same thing but maybe these refs don't realise what they are doing. Is sub conscious bias a thing ? Lol

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I simply do not buy the theory that this is deliberate cheating. It's incompetence.

And the idea visiting teams are "always" getting the rough end of the stick in SA due to the fact they are incapable of providing fair match officials has an underlying assumption that there is something about being South African that makes one less likely to be able to be a fair participant in a global sporting contest. That is borderline racism.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Most Saffers I know are pretty fair and reasonable rugby lovers. They dislike poor refereeing performances as much as we do, particularly when that poor performance is from one of their own.

The Bryce Lawrence death threaters are in the minority in Safferland, as are the actual (as opposed the bandwagon) Quade haters in NZ.

Plenty of Saffer referees are very good. We should not let the performances by the minority colour our judgement of the majority.

I know of plenty of referees who have had bad games, or have been appointed to a match out of their depth. I also know of plenty of players who have had bad games, or have played games out of their depth.

Turning to armchair critics and keyboard warriors, the same applies.

Good Referees - Plenty
Incompetent/out of their depth Refs - A few
Cheating/match fixing refs - (at professional/Semi Pro level) - Dream on

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, I agree with Blue. I thought I made it clear in my earlier posts that the best explanation is incompetence. In recent history SA has actually had more than its fair share of top refs. Currently, the refs being selected for games from SA are just bad.

And it's not just the SA refs - the Clan / Canes match and Blues / Cheetahs match had poor refereeing as well.

SANZAR really needs to investigate how it is selecting refs, because there are too many poor ones at this level. What's worse, they fail several times and continue to be awarded games before they finally have such a bad game they make themselves unpickable as refs. And at the same time, SANZAR should ensure neutral refs to remove repeated calls of bias.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And the idea visiting teams are "always" getting the rough end of the stick in SA due to the fact they are incapable of providing fair match officials has an underlying assumption that there is something about being South African that makes one less likely to be able to be a fair participant in a global sporting contest. That is borderline racism.

I actually think there's two reasons:
- home side bias, most (not all) contentious refereeing performances tend to favour the home side, particularly when the crowd gets going
- familiarity with the SA teams / players thanks to the Currie Cup - we saw that last week with the Sharks v Reds

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
For the Reds Cooper was excellent and provided pretty much everything the team created in attack. Genia had a strong game and was much closer to what I expect of him. Could still run the ball a bit more.

Horwill was by far the best Reds forward. Hanson was good when he came on but then was silly to infringe at the breakdown. It almost seems like the enthusiastic replacement is the guy most likely to get yellow carded when coming on for a team under a bit of pressure.

I thought Tapuai had a really promising start to the game but then faded out as the game went on.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

I felt the Reds backs could have done a lot more against what I saw as a very average defence by the Lions backs. particularly in ther second half. Other teams seem to play for breaks more than we do.
Either we should get a new attacking coach. or get some new backs.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
- familiarity with the SA teams / players thanks to the Currie Cup - we saw that last week with the Sharks v Reds

I agree (that teams infringe less with a ref they know well). This is the entire reason. Some say this is an argument for neutral refs (it's the only valid argument). Some say it's a fact of life.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Plenty of Saffer referees are very good. We should not let the performances by the minority colour our judgement of the majority.

I know of plenty of referees who have had bad games, or have been appointed to a match out of their depth. I also know of plenty of players who have had bad games, or have played games out of their depth.

Absolutely. I would happily have Joubert or Peyper take every Reds game. To top it off Joubert was AR for the Sharks v Bulls clash. Widely acknowledged as one of the best and he gets given side line duties while hacks run other fixtures.

How the hell did SANZAR let the same ref that made howlers against the Blues the week before take the same side again?? Bray should be getting a please explain just as much as the ref.

That's me done, nothing more to add.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Having said all that, the Reds should have had this game put away by 50 minutes. They were cruising.

Just watched the second half and looked like four really bad decisions. That's too much. He really should get some sort of sanction.

Status
Not open for further replies.