• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great signing for us. We desperately need more backline flair and Genia is a great start, will be worth all the money if he stays uninjured.

A few articles say Genia was in contact with a few clubs, maybe he was looking for a change? (and went to the highest bidder in oz?)

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Nusadan... there is an arrogance in this bunch of mates which is a little off putting for me... it shows through in different ways for each of them. but it is there.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I never said bench him and never said it was betrayal... I simply said he should be allowed to leave and I thought (and still think) that it would be better for the team psychologically if he did...

Bemusing to read the comments leading up to the blues game calling for him to be benched due to not playing to last years standard (even wondering if he had a lack of focus), yet now he has decided to leave he is the best thing for the team and is a must have for the rest of the season.

He's a great player and I want him to succeed wherever he plays. People on here can reread what I wrote previously - I think I made it clear I was not being vindictive.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
My opinion is that Genia's form is mainly post RWC burnout and should come right. Super Rugby,3N,RWC was a huge ask and we're seeing it in injuries and form across the comp imo.

Sure Cooper's absence has impacted on him. The beauty of Cooper is that he create space and opportunity for others. On a good day QC (Quade Cooper) would make any side glow- as does Genia.

Great news for the Force.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I said at the time: too much attention was being paid to the impact upon the Force of RG's decision, and not enough to the potential impact to perceptions and stability within the 2012 Reds' establishment. I saw numerous impacts that might arise:

- the senior Reds players were not consulted re the RG change, given their contributions and status, they may well highly resent the exclusion and attribute high-handedness to the QRU elite

- many players would be incredulous, as many of us were here, as to why a 'perpetual apprentice' coach with few demonstrable results would be chosen to lead them in 2013+. How does that move 'do us justice after all we've achieved'? Plus, RG does not seem to stay around long in recent positions, etc

- clearly, if the QRU could afford two entire senior coaching layers, plus support coaches, the message was out that the QRU has serious money 'to spare', why not more of it on 'star' players' renewals?

Sources have reported that indeed one of the above factors may have been at least partly behind Genia's decision to leave, and, if so, I have some sympathy with that as the timing and appointment of the wholly unproven RG was extraordinarily mishandled IMO.

This is not the sort of career decision that a player would make and execute in a couple of weeks RH. Somehow I don't think that he woke up 2 weeks ago to the news that RG was coming across and thought "That's it, I'm out of here". Not to mention that there's been some suggestion that he's been shopped around Europe for a few months by his new management (whoever they may be). While we've noticed you're not enthusiastic about RG's move, trying to lay this one on him is going pretty deep into tin foil hat territory :)

Players will always move, it's the nature of the professional game - if you are good enough, someone will make you an offer. Unlike the amateur days, where it might have been a better quality of pie in the sheds after the game, which is not really something you would cross the country for.

Good luck to him - another 9 will pop out of the Brisbane nursery (Ben Lucas to 9 would be my preference), and get a chance to show what they can do. Whoever it is needs more game time, so Genia will be getting some bench time during the rest of the season.

It will be interesting to see if Genia's game picks up from now - he's been out of sorts from the WC onwards and is behind White and possibly McKibbin on form this year.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force now have 2 great players wooo whooooo. It show's that Genia is after the money more than the Game of Rugby. If he is frustrated now, like to see how he will be halfway through next season.

I would Fuck him off as from now and get Lucas in for the rest of the season. Great news for Lucas,

W

Waylon

RG was possibly the clincher though

I am surprised Genia is leaving on the cusp of the great renaissance

Something stinks in Queensland............Graham?

Plenty of players lining up for a pay rise may have a lot to do with it. I thought the QRU would have prioritised Genia's signature however.

There has to be something else

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Will has been a great player for the Reds and the Reds have been great for Will. He has made a career decision. Career decisions can be made on many things, financial, development, geography....Let's wish him well and get over it!!

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Western Force now have 2 great players wooo whooooo. It show's that Genia is after the money more than the Game of Rugby. If he is frustrated now, like to see how he will be halfway through next season.

I would Fuck him off as from now and get Lucas in for the rest of the season. Great news for Lucas,

Which Lucas are you talking about Biggsy?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
the time has come for the lucas brothers to step in at 9 and 10 (hopes of keeping quade are all but gone). i think this will actually be good for the reds, ben has been loyal to the team for years through thick and thin and so for him to finally get his chance to shine, it'll be good to see

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think we have seen the first effect of Graham being announced as coach. My understanding is that many players signed new contracts under the assumption McKenzie would be staying as coach. It is now worrying that the likes of Higginbotham, Cooper, Tapuai, Shipperely ect may now look elsewhere.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
There is more spurious theorizing on this thread than almost any I can remember.

It's always about the $$$. Yes, players want to be in a winning situation, etc. but if Genia was comparing $550k or even $400k and, say, $300k from the Reds there is only one choice to make. What if -- touch wood -- he blows his knee out next year, never really recovers and has to call it quits in his mid-20s? It's not that fucking complicated.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This is not the sort of career decision that a player would make and execute in a couple of weeks RH. Somehow I don't think that he woke up 2 weeks ago to the news that RG was coming across and thought "That's it, I'm out of here". Not to mention that there's been some suggestion that he's been shopped around Europe for a few months by his new management (whoever they may be). While we've noticed you're not enthusiastic about RG's move, trying to lay this one on him is going pretty deep into tin foil hat territory :) .....

FFS, at no time did I say the RG factor was THE reason Genia is moving. I argued that it may have been a clear contributory factor, and I stand by the notion that the entire RG process has been destabilizing for the current team and will continue to be. Gagger would not have posted his 'straw that broke the camel's back' blog post last night re the RG factor wrt Genia's departure (and related non-money issues) unless he had sound reason to do so based upon credible sources.

Talented people/players whatever will always be tempted by better money somewhere else. The challenge for any sporting body is to build a stability and depth of culture that makes the very best want to stay and build that body for the long term (partly, this is what the QRU recently meant by 'building a dynasty'). As, just for example, the Crusaders have done so very well. How many super-lucrative offers might McCaw and Carter have had to move elsewhere?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Love it. Great news for us

rumors that pocock is re committing and sharpe may play on next year
Are surfacing.

A lot of sad reds fans are
Crying about the situation and saying genia is not good enough for wallabies this year. What a joke. The poor bloke has had how many 10's to throw too? He is defiantly still no 1 half back and to be honest Sheehan could be 2nd. He is having a great season.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Love it. Great news for us

rumors that pocock is re committing and sharpe may play on next year
Are surfacing.

A lot of sad reds fans are
Crying about the situation and saying genia is not good enough for wallabies this year. What a joke. The poor bloke has had how many 10's to throw too? He is defiantly still no 1 half back and to be honest Sheehan could be 2nd. He is having a great season.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316
A player of his quality should be able to perform without a good 10. Fourie du Preez didn't always have a great 10 outside him.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There is more spurious theorizing on this thread than almost any I can remember.

It's always about the $$$. Yes, players want to be in a winning situation, etc. but if Genia was comparing $550k or even $400k and, say, $300k from the Reds there is only one choice to make. What if -- touch wood -- he blows his knee out next year, never really recovers and has to call it quits in his mid-20s? It's not that fucking complicated.

Haha. Everyone else is 'theorising' but here is a post that 'knows for absolute certain': it's just, solely, only, always, money. Just no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.