• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
On the blog Gaggs mentioned it.

"Will has been unhappy at the Reds this year, and Richard Graham moving in as coach in waiting was the last straw. Other Reds names have been similarly unhappy"

Yeah, I am with you, had no idea there could be unhappiness in the team based on what is on twitter and on here. It has been tough for them this year and they have kept fronting up each week?

Is it a player power issue Gaggs is talking about in that decisions are being made and senior team members are not included in the process?

I don't like all these rumours & hearsay, if there is something concrete to them they should be bought out in the open, if it's just whispers leave it up to the likes of Growden to mumble about.

@RH, Do the coaches salaries count towards the salary cap? If not it doesn't matter squat if they can afford both of them because the players wouldn't be able to get more anyway with cap restrictions, you can only blame the ARU for that. Courier Mail "reports" that Genia getting $550k per season with Force deal, how could the QRU compete with that with so many players out of contract and a salary cap coming into play?
And with all due respect, you're guessing that it had anything to do with Graham's appointment and there is still plenty of time for them to respond to the greatness call, in fact it doesn't even have to come this year for it to ring true.

Great to hear Ben Lucas has signed on to stay and wants to be a 100 cap player for Qld, these are the sort of players I want representing my state.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
QLD came out earlier this year through some if the board andgave quotes to an article saying that they had a "cut price team" and won the title on a much smaller salary cap than anyonevelse used, if I was a player seeing 30+thousand in the stands and gearing about them paying loans back early I would want a pay rise for being part of a championship team.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Of course, that's only natural. But with the looming salary cap that's not going to be possible for all players & $550k (if accurate) is a bloody large chunk out of the as yet to be determined salary cap.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Of course, that's only natural. But with the looming salary cap that's not going to be possible for all players & $550k (if accurate) is a bloody large chunk out of the as yet to be determined salary cap.

At that rate they can have 8 players at that profile and no one else. Safa's and kiwi's don't enforce salary crap do they?

W

What2040

IMO the stories about players at ballymore being unhappy or disenchanted are just bullshit.
With respect this the professional era and loyalty (unfortunately) counts for little. Genia played well last year and deserved the accolades. In 2012 he has generally played poorly (except for a few moments). Is that because he doesn't have QC (Quade Cooper) outside him. If so, then he is not the player many believe him to be. Easy to be a champion when you are surrounded by champions.
Maybe, just maybe Genia needs to "refind" himself and his form and a move to the Force may prove a good move. NSW and Qld are the major producers of young talent and obviously the other franchises (Force and Rebels) are forced to and will continue to raid and raid (both NSW and Qld).

Having said all that it is a shame he looks like going. He is a great young fellow who has a large following of support particularly with ther younger fans.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
whatever anyone thinks of poaching the Reds supporters, and the Reds themselves, can hardly complain in view of recent events.....

Tahs supporters on here...they even shamed me into declaring my support for the Tahs.
Is there a consensus that the Tahs are gone for 2012?

I know I said they were gone quite a few rounds ago.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's interesting that a few have the attitude that Genia has betrayed the Reds. I find it curious that some players leave, citing bigger money available OS or elsewhere, and are patted on the back by fans with the usual platitudes "They don't have a long time in the game", "it's professional now", and "good luck to him" whereas others bear the brunt of the fury of a small group of fans who feel that a player should be bonded forever to a team because they were born there, go their first gig there or have been officially adopted like a cashed-up asylum seeker!
As for poaching - if Genia says he wants "X dollars" and the Reds turn their pockets inside-out and say they only have magic beans, and the Force say "We have iron and gold", and Sanchez wants the bling, why are the Force dirty poachers?
Good players will always be at risk of out-growing the bank balance of the place at which they start, so this scenario will play out time and again.
That's before the vagaries of the Coaching Overlord / Head Coach / Left Foot Coach / Right Foot Coach / In and Away Coach paradigm are even considered as a factor.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's interesting that a few have the attitude that Genia has betrayed the Reds. I find it curious that some players leave, citing bigger money available OS or elsewhere, and are patted on the back by fans with the usual platitudes "They don't have a long time in the game", "it's professional now", and "good luck to him" whereas others bear the brunt of the fury of a small group of fans who feel that a player should be bonded forever to a team because they were born there, go their first gig there or have been officially adopted like a cashed-up asylum seeker!
As for poaching - if Genia says he wants "X dollars" and the Reds turn their pockets inside-out and say they only have magic beans, and the Force say "We have iron and gold", and Sanchez wants the bling, why are the Force dirty poachers?
Good players will always be at risk of out-growing the bank balance of the place at which they start, so this scenario will play out time and again.
That's before the vagaries of the Coaching Overlord / Head Coach / Left Foot Coach / Right Foot Coach / In and Away Coach paradigm are even considered as a factor.

The inside shoulder coach is senior to the in and away coach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's interesting that a few have the attitude that Genia has betrayed the Reds...

I don't get it either. Also, I don't understand the, "put him on the bench" argument. So he's leaving the Reds; he hasn't left yet and he's a damn good player. What if he had just announced he was retiring at season's end? Same result for the Reds, but we would be reading post after post about how much of a champion he is and there would be no talk of benching him!

It's just petty sour grapes, jealousy etc.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
So where did Brett Harris get his info from to break this story at 12 noon yesterday?

He obviously has some very good sources..............

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ok im gunna throw it out there
does genias decision have anything to do with inside knowledge on what quades gunna do?
force have targeted quade a few times, or maybe hes leaving the reds anyway?
if genia knows the 'partnership' is being broken up anyway, why not make a move for himself

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Qld was always going to struggle to retain all of the big names..that's life. Getting Ben Lucas'signature is a big plus. I can still remember all the hoohah when Barnes left but life went on, and even got better.

Curious that the Reds are on the front foot re the announcements and Genia and the Force a bit cagey. Bluff called?

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I am quite certain Quade will follow. And I'll be quite glad the Reds don't have any of the 'fantastic' five - cooper, pocock, genia, o'connor and beale. a group of young men egging each other along the wrong path IMHO.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I certainly don't think Genia has betrayed the Reds. It's such an over used term in sport. all players move around looking for pay dirt or a better cultural fit. It's just a part of professional sport.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

I don't feel 'betrayed' or even begrudge Will for seeking more money. I just hate seeing stars poached. I felt the same when Beale and O'Connor left for the Rebels . It just doesn't sit well with me that players developed & groomed by a union loses out when they start to fulfill their destinies.
Anyway, time to move on, I hope Genia can be instrumental in a Reds surge to the finals, so he can go away with a winning feeling for the memory bank.
He'll still be getting cheers from me for the rest of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.