• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The difference between "a staff member" and Will Genia's position is that Will still has something to play for and prove. He will still give his all as he will be competing for a gold jersey along with another Super Rugby title. That is plenty of incentive to be giving your all, if not just for the glory, but for the paycheck if money is really his motive. This season is only half over and why would someone just give up now because you are playing for a different team in 43 weeks time. It makes no sense. To bench him is ridiculous. The Reds aren't out of this competition, so why bench one of the teams' best players. That's just a knee jerk reaction to be spiteful for his decision to continue his career elsewhere. This is a professional sport and it's not just about the game. I honestly don't think professional sportsmen train as hard as they do to want to warm a bench come game day. In fact I could guarantee that is the last thought that goes through their mind.

Players have a shelf life and if taking a paycheck to secure your future after one's playing days are over is a motive to where you play, then I don't see a problem with that. Will seems a genuine character that will give his all for as long as Reds 2012 season lasts. If the finals become mathematically out of reach, then it would be wise to start experimenting with replacements for the 2013 season. Until then the Reds have to (I can't see why Link wouldn't) post the best team to focus on THIS YEAR'S tournament.

Good luck Will. As a Reds supporter you have been great to watch (and still are), you will be missed, but you will also be replaced by someone who will give everything for your position.

No spite on my part, I said as much earlier...

I apologize if it has come across that way.

M

Moono75

Could be the start of a number of big signings for the Force for 2013. Top talent attracts top talent. Wouldn't be surprised to see QC (Quade Cooper) at Cottesloe Beach next summer.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Why the fuck would you bench Genia? I just don't buy the development argument. Aside from the obvious regarding this season, it's an awesome way to look like a vindictive and mean-spirited organization (even if that's the lot the intention). Not to mention the rather unpleasant calls from the ARU that would no doubt result.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wow, quite stunned, excited, and a bit sad for the Reds as well. I just wonder what the fuck is really going on at the Reds????

Link steps aside and now Genia leaves. They had a team that could have built a dynasty, but it's like no one is even interested in that. I just don't get it.

But will gladly see Genia in blue next year, you have to think that Pocock is the driving force behind this and that the Force must have a coach lined up too. I doubt Genia would make the leap without knowing someone good was on the way. I just hope it is a topline coach like Cheika or Mallett. The Force could end up a disaster if they allow themselves to be coached by committee, which is how I think it would end up with Phil Blake in charge.

And I would just like to point out, Pocock can do it all. Graham couldn't recruit a world class back to save his life, Pocock has snagged one within a week :p

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
WTF - from Force website

RugbyWA Chief Executive Office Vern Reid said the following;

“In relation to the news on the Queensland website, all I can say is that we have spoken to Will Genia’s manager and other players’ managers about recruitment in the past couple of weeks.

“Nothing has been finalised, I’m certainly not in a position where I’m going to make any announcements about Will or any other player.

“It’s mystifying (the statement by the Reds) simply because no details have been finalised.

“We’re speaking to a number of players and are clearly looking to strengthen our inside backs.”

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Something like this was always on the back of mind and never really bothered me, money talks , why else would you move to western force to the rebels for that matter. They don't give to shits about the this code, there AFL cities and they buy players to better there back pockets.

If franchises offer these new young super players good money and another franchise offers $5 more thats where they will go. Its now drummed into them that they have a 10 year life in footy codes so make the money and fuck off. They don't give a fuck.
I got what I wanted from him, and that's a reds home GF WIN. all the best to him, time for new blood.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
WTF - from Force website

This is turning into a season where what is happening off the field is almost as interesting as as what's happening on it. Just what Rugby needs to compete with League and AFL. (Seriously!).

Better than the official ARU announcements "on the future of rugby union" that can barely scrape a paragraph in the local rag in a world cup year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
First, player power leads to the sacking of the coach...

Now the Force are to become the "Real Madrid" of Super Rugby?!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Ok, had some time to calm down.

Good luck to him. Any club would miss him but no reason to hold it against the guy. He is welcome back in QLD anytime.

For some reason i am now more optimistic we will keep Quade but his signature needs to be sought asap, i dont care if they do it before he plays a minute this season. Lucas is prob as good a 9 as any the Reds will sign so i'd rather keep him on in that position and put the money into other spots (quality 15 for example). Frisby won't be in the 22 when QC (Quade Cooper) is back so dropping Genia for him at this stage is madness.

Its definitely not all down hill for the Reds. Keep Quade, Higgs, Morahan Harris and Shipps on and there is still easily the makings of a finals team. Genia will likely take Davies with him and ad that to those there the backline may start to look half good with a capable 10.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Fuck Fuck Fuckety Fuck! Worst news in years for Reds! Up your's FOrce, Qld enemy No1! Can't believe Genia wants to play with bottom feeders again after so many years of pain in Qld before the last couple of successful ones, must have a masochistic streak.
Those calling for him to be benched or let go need to get a grip! He has provided great service over 6 years & is a champion. I can't understand his thinking but good luck to him, hope to see him back in Red one day when the filthy mining lucre falls through ala Giteau. He would most definitely have made the 100 game club if he had stayed on.

As soon as we are out of finals race (if that happens), I would definitely bench him.

It may ok for people to say he has to take the money while he can, but this may actually lead to less money if the force can't pick up a good 10. It may restrict his wallaby chances and lower his profile leading to less top up money and less sponsorship money.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
First, player power leads to the sacking of the coach...

Now the Force are to become the "Real Madrid" of Super Rugby?!

Are you saying that they are only going to start playing well when the lose all those stars and instead use some young 'coachable' talent?

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Scoey. If having a season pass since 2007 is being on a bandwagon, i stand accused. :)

i just don't believe in pissing in peoples pockets.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was talking at freshers tonight to some of my irate Reds fans friends (their feelings were understandable). My thoughts were...

I don't get the poaching argument. There is no such thing as poaching players. Players are not forced to leave their club with guns held to their heads from a rival club. No matter how much money a rival club comes up with it is still the players decision to leave. Players with talent &/or success have the freedom to choose, stay or go, as Genia has done, other players move on because they don't get enough opportunity to get off the bench or develop their game. Then you've got those that just get booted from their club because they aren't rated.

IMO the Genia move has little to do with the Force & more to do with the Reds players coming to the end of their contract wanting more money. Something has to give. It's very rich laying all the blame at Genia. How about showing some rage against the Reds players (not just Genia) who wanted raises. Ideally if they really gave a stuff about the team only & creating a legacy for the Reds then they wouldn't care about top up's & would be keen to just stay on the same pay rate for the good of keeping everyone together. Genia wanted a raise? I'm sure he wasn't the only one - this is an accumulation from various people & not just one individual. Although there are some special players that will not just do it for the money we generally don't live in that reality. It sucks, I don't like it, but that's professionalism. I doubt RG coming in as coach would have helped either.

I was shocked when I heard the news. Did not see it coming.

whatever anyone thinks of poaching the Reds supporters, and the Reds themselves, can hardly complain in view of recent events.....

What? Who 'down here' thinks the Tahs will win anything? Generally Tahs fans are resigned to failure, and are generally cynical bastards. Don't know who you've been talking to though...

Tahs supporters on here...they even shamed me into declaring my support for the Tahs.
Is there a consensus that the Tahs are gone for 2012?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What is everybody's thoughts on how this will affect the other off-contract stars, namely Cooper? Obviously the Reds will have more money to chuck at them, but could it make them much more resigned to leave?

for some reason I feel it actually makes Cooper less valuable to the Reds - no doubt I will work out if this is a feeling with any rational basis, a hunch or perversity as I deal with the howls of derision it will attract...

Red slug

Stan Wickham (3)
As a disappointed Reds supporter, over the last 15 years, attending and watching games prior to 2009 was excruciatingly painful and demoralising. I thank Will for the last 3 years watching him being one the cogs in the machine for the Reds has been exciting and pleasurable. He has helped make the Reds Team be an entertaining and unpredictable excitement organism (definitely not a machine). As a Reds supporter I can only say Good Luck Will, everybody grows and their needs change, this allows others to grow up in the Reds nursery to fledge out into the wide big yonder of the Australian Rugby world. We will miss you for a little while.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Spreading the wealth a little is not a bad thing for Australian rugby if we want the newer franchises to develop and go the distance.
Qld, NSW and to a lesser extent ACT will always have a pretty good pool of up and comers.
Sanchez and Pocock together will really help the Force to (re)establish themselves. If they can secure Cheika, or someone like him, then it will be start to look good for them next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.