• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Wow, just speechless.

If true, thank you for your service Will but the show must go on.

A

allitsab

I can see the attraction - playing behind that backrow would make things much easier for sanchez.... Mind you, he'll still need a decent flyhalf to help get the backs in shape.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jim Tucker is reporting it as a done deal. Can't believe it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...to-western-force/story-fn8t7efs-1226341626212

THE Reds are reeling with the shock news that halfback hero Will Genia has agreed to switch to the Western Force next year.
It is believed that the Wallaby star will announce the move as early as this week but as of last night he had not told his fellow players.
Genia insisted last night: "I haven't signed anything but obviously I'm a bit uncertain about where I'm going to be next year."
Sources in Perth indicated it was a done deal and that Genia's signature also got Wallaby flanker David Pocock to recommit to the Force for another term.
The Reds may have poached Richard Graham from the Force to be their new head coach next year but the loss of the world's best halfback to the west will hit the Reds twice as hard.
He was the consumate man for a tight situation in the run to the Super Rugby title last year when he played in each of the Reds' 18 games and scored the crunch try in the final.

It is hard to imagine a bigger blow to Queensland rugby because the news will rock this year's bid for the play-offs.
Sources indicate that the Force were able to stitch together a superior financial arrangement which the Reds would not match.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes but once the club comes out with an official statement saying he's off to the Force there's no real chance of going back on it.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Confirmed by QRU now. So fucking pissed off with this. Why can't this shit be sorted in the post-season?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...es-bigmoney-move-to-force-20120428-1xrtl.html

Queensland Reds star halfback Will Genia has signed with the Western Force and will move to Perth for the 2013 season.

Queensland rugby has confirmed the stunning move after smoke had been building late in the week, culminating in a tweet from former Red Tim Horan tonight that a deal was essentially complete.

Genia will now link with close friend David Pocock, the Wallaby flanker, in a move that will send shockwaves through the Reds after the Force cleaned out their ranks at the end of 2005.

It was revealed during the week that Genia's new management had demanded a figure of $400,000 per season from the Reds, not including any top-up from the ARU. That figure was always going to be a bridge too far for the Super Rugby champions, who are fighting to retain the core of their title-winning roster.

Reports today also said Pocock had been actively courting Genia, who will now walk away from Ewen McKenzie's side to head to the Force. It will be a sweet retort for the Force, who had coach Richard Graham poached by the Reds earlier this month.

The loss of Genia could make it more difficult for the Reds to retain close friend with Quade Cooper, who is also off contract next season.

Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael said the QRU fought for his signature but couldn't prevent his departure.

"I believe Queensland Rugby made the best offer we could to retain Will's services in Queensland, however the opportunity presented to head west was ultimately more appealong," Carmichael said.

"We wish Will all the best next year at the Force and thank him for all he has given to the Reds and Queensland Rugby throughout the last six seasons."

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know how to react to all this. I would have thought if Genia were to leave then the announcement wouldn't have been made until the end of the season. This is the last thing the Reds need on their plate as they are trying to claw back into the competition. Of course on the flip side is that the Force may be eager to get this information out there after having it announced they lost their coach to the Reds. Seems a little bit eye for an eye maybe. But I dare say the Force have trumped the Reds here as i'd rather have Genia in my side than RG coaching it.

I'll hold judgement until someone says he has officially signed though. Maybe Frisby should start going out for some of that sushi that QC (Quade Cooper) always tweets about because Genia out the door may reduce our chances of keeping him.

EDIT - Just saw the official news. Dammit.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Bejesus, massive blow for the Reds, especially for the remainder of this season.
QC (Quade Cooper) may also be a target especially now.
Wouldn't be better for the Force to spend the big $$ for a world class coach as a priority? This brings backs memories of 2006, and we all know how the story went.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Confirmed by QRU now. So fucking pissed off with this. Why can't this shit be sorted in the post-season?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...es-bigmoney-move-to-force-20120428-1xrtl.html

It's part of the problem with Rugby. The players are professional but those connected with clubs and Unions off the field are anything but. There needs to be more professionalism off the field from franchise officials. Nothing wrong with sorting the business out now and agreeing in principal but they could at least keep their mouths shut.

Not saying that in the corporate world there are never leaks of information, but at least when it does happen whoever leaked info tends to end up losing their job. Too much of an old boys network still in Rugby and guys in positions with access to prioritory info who when they get stuff like this are giddy with excitement and just can't wait to tell someone they know is a mouth and will blog or tweet about it.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Oz players are always chasing money. no thought given to their development or career.

To the bench for the rest of the season. thanks for your work, but we need to look forward.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Direct confirmation from the QRU for those still wondering how it could be true.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/6268/Default.aspx

St.George Queensland Reds lose champion halfback Genia to Force

Queensland Rugby is disappointed it will farewell champion halfback and Reds vice-captain Will Genia at the end of the season, after he agreed to terms with the Western Force.
Genia will be leaving the team he helped to a Super Rugby title in 2011 to join the Perth-based franchise from season 2013.
The 24-year-old is in the midst of his sixth Super Rugby campaign with the Reds and has started every match of the 2012 season since scoring the Reds’ Super Rugby title winning try in the 2011 final at Suncorp Stadium.
Genia has been an integral player and on-field leader for the blossoming Reds side since being plucked out of the U19 Queensland Colts competition to make his Super Rugby debut against the Hurricanes back in 2007.
He showcased his leadership pedigree when he captained the Reds in the absence of regular skipper James Horwill for almost the entire 2010 season and went on to be awarded consecutive Pilecki Medals for the Queensland Reds Players’ Player of the Year in 2010 and 2011.
Queensland Rugby CEO Jim Carmichael said Genia would leave the Reds at the end of the year with the organisation’s best wishes.
“I believe Queensland Rugby made the best offer we could to retain Will’s services in Queensland, however the opportunity presented to head West was ultimately more appealing to Will,” Mr Carmichael said.
“We wish Will all the best next year at the Force and thank him for all his has given to the Reds and Queensland Rugby during throughout the last six seasons.”
Will Genia
Height: 174cm
Weight: 85kg
Date of Birth: 17/01/1988
Place of Birth: Papua New Guinea
Senior Club: Norths
Queensland Caps: 66
Queensland Points: 58
Queensland Debut: 2006 v Japan
Super Rugby Caps: 65
Super Rugby Points: 58
Super Rugby Debut: 2007 v Hurricanes
Test Caps: 33
Test Points: 25
Test Debut: 2009 v All Black

ENDS

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Bejesus, massive blow for the Reds, especially for the remainder of this season.
QC (Quade Cooper) may also be a target especially now.
Wouldn't be better for the Force to spend the big $$ for a world class coach as a priority? This brings backs memories of 2006, and we all know how the story went.

Pocock + Genia signing will go along way in helping to attract exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.